Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Recorded Audio Not in Time bug Audio always early

This is a real problem we have been dealing with here at our pro studio for over 2 years!!! Digidesign has been working with us for over 6 months to solve this problem. We have tried everything, except new hardware. No luck yet. It happens on 3 independent HD3 accel systems, on G5s and G4s. All at random, sometime weeks go by and it's fine, other times it's 5 times in one day. It's way too complicated to describe in an email, but it would help out if you could report this problem to digi ASAP to let them know we are not alone!!!!!! I know there was one user in PC land that has recently discovered this bug. ANYONE ELSE ON MAC HD HAVE THIS?? David Piefer is our contact. Please speak out!

No hardware delay compensation.
No delay comp active ( while tracking)
No plugs
Internal Clock
Correct software settings
G4s and G5s
Os9 or OS 10 (all point versions)
from protools 6 to 6.9.
It's still with us.

The syptoms:

-audio recorded sounds fine while recording
-once waveform is redrawn, audio is always EARLY (to the left, between 50 and 250 ms), but region start time is original, there is also usually a snip-it of audio at the very end of the recorded region. It's really fun when it happen to one side of a stereo recording.

There is one work around for the bug. Here it is: Shuffle delay comp engine on/off BEFORE you start recording on your session. This seems to prevent it from occuring. This will also FIX the problem once it has occured in a session. It seems you need to do this with every session you open BEFORE you start to record.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:07 PM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Not in Time bug Audio always early

There's been a thread going on this over the last several weeks. You're definitely not alone. Thread's been silent for a little while -- hopefully that means it's being investigated. A number of people described the exact problem you're describing (including myself) on a mac. Pretty scary.
OS 10.3.8
PT 6.9
Dual G4 MDD 1.25GHz
HD3
192 i/o
Old 10-18-2005, 09:01 PM

Still happening here on a G4 , HD 3 accel. Really upset clients again. HELP DIGI!

Dual gig-
6.9.1cs3
Old 10-19-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Not in Time bug Audio always ea

Happens here also.

G4 duel 4.2
2 drives one with OS 10.3. one with Tiger 10.4.2 (Happens on both)
Pro Tools 6.9.1cs3
HD4
Old 10-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Recorded Audio Not in Time bug Audio always ea

I know that Digidesign is working on this issue to reproduce it "in house". Just wondering, is everyone that is seeing this problem running an HD3 rig? Anyone tried pulling out their HD Accel or Process cards to run an HD1 or HD2 system and see if the problem continues? That might help Digi figure out what's going on. Is your HD3 with Process cards or Accel?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Hi HAWKEYE. I am on the phone with Kevin at DIGI right now. Want to let you know that, no, you are not the only one who has this problem. I had a session ruined last night. Client was VERY upset. I will try the "toggle ADC" workaround, but that's not the only problem I am having.

Whenever I "option R" a region by multiple measures, by the end of the song, the region DRIFTS off the grid. Funny thing is, when I did it at 120BPM, it all locks. But when the tempo moves up, either in CONDUCTOR or MANUAL mode, by the end of the song, it's off the grid.

KEVIN at DIGI is now trying to replicate the problem. He did, and doesn't know what's causing it or how to fix the problem. Apparently, he will "add it to the list" of problems to be addressed. For know, I will have to copy and duplicate regions by hand multiple times to ensure "grid integrity".

If anyone else knows of this problem, please reply.

Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 AM

KEVIN just called back and told me that the fix for my other problem is to specify the track to be TICK based, and not SAMPLE based because, mathematically, it's not accurate enough. Haven't checked to see if it works yet, but, THANKS to Kevin for checking that out!