Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 07-24-2013, 06:50 PM

Default Re: ProTools bug/how to report/customerservice?

One observation is you do have a WDC Caviar Green drive (WD10EADS). What do you have on that drive?

These WDC Green drives with their slow spin rate and power management tricks are absolutely toxic for use as audio drives. They can cause Pro Tools pausing/crash type problems but I doubt this could cause the problem you have. But I still would not use this drive for sessions of sample.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM

The instructions are as follows:

"Right click on your Pro Tools 11 icon and select 'Open file location' from the context menu
In the Explorer window that opens, copy the path at the top in the address edit field
Open a command prompt window and type cd [space]
Paste what you copied from the clipboard, and hit enter
Now in the same prompt, type digiSPTIService64.exe /Service
Now try to launch again and verify that the service is now running and your problem is resolved"

That command prompt "cd [space]" is not valid. If I follow the instructions exactly how they are laid out, I type "cd [space] then paste in the file location", then hit enter. That is not a valid command either. Any idea what is meant by "cd [space]"? I even tried putting a space between the two brackets, incase thats what was meant Nothing has worked. Excuse my command prompt ignorance
Old 07-24-2013, 07:42 PM

"One observation is you do have a WDC Caviar Green drive (WD10EADS). What do you have on that drive?"

That drive is a HP "SimpleSave" USB. It is an automatic backup of my C: drive performed every night. The two USB drives are backups.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:03 PM

cd [space] means type the "cd" then the space character " " as in "cd " so that your whole command will looks like "cd \some\bloody\directory\path", its just the Windows change directory command.

Do you want to slap yourself or do you want us to do it?

Darryl
Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 PM

Like my father always said "If I'm not slapping you, it means I stopped caring!" Ahhh..childhood.

Anyways, thanks for the tip and breaking it down to a 1rst grade level, which is exactly what I needed I followed the instructions and my DigiSPTIService is perpetually stuck on "starting". I tried to manually start it, (under the processes tab) but that failed to. (Still listed under Services and not under Processes) There is no change in performance. Still a huge delay when inserting tracks, starting record etc etc. Playback is fine, no pops,clicks or anything of the sort. CPU usage is not spiking.

To answer an earlier question, there is no networking going on.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM

I also brought up the "system usage" display while I inserted some tracks and hit "record" There was no spike or movement during the lag spikes
Old 07-25-2013, 10:43 AM

I would go back to that thread () and post what you are seeing there, other folks are reporting similar service "starting behavior".

And just one thought since this service is related to CDs and you have HP virtual CD crapware installed you might want to try disabling that or uninstalling it and seeing what happens.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:57 PM

Just for haha's, I completely uninstalled Norton AND ProTools. I reinstalled PT and the same behavior is observed. Norton is ruled out

Still haven't figured it out
Old 07-28-2013, 11:24 PM
Avid

Hi Mike,

Sorry you're getting delays with PT11 on Windows. We've seen something like this a few times, and might have some ideas.

Would you be able to record a screen capture video of this? It would help us a lot in identifying the cause.

Thanks!

Paul Vercellotti
Avid Engineering
Old 07-29-2013, 03:53 AM

Hi,
I have almost identical issues on my w7/i7/pt11 setup.
I will post a sandra report soon and hope for some help....