Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 10:43 AM

Default MPC 2000 slave to Protools LE

Im trying to sync my MPC 2000 to Pro Tools le 6.4. I used to have it set up as to when i clicked f12 to record in pro tools it would start playback on my MPC. I cannot for the life of me remember how I did that, is anyone here familiar with the MPC 2000 that could help me. The reason for this is that there was 0 latency and the MPC started playing as soon as the PT started recording, no offset times had to be set. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:39 PM

Default Re: MPC 2000 slave to Protools LE

From the www.Sweetwater.com Knowledge base:

Technical Support Knowledge Base
Search for Keyword:

Article # 30270 Date: 03/10/2006
Problem:
Configuration of Pro Tools and MPC-2000 and other MPC Models for sync using MIDI Beat Clock and MIDI Time Code on Windows XP Pro Tools 6.9 or Higher.

Solution:
Configuration of Pro Tools and MPC-2000 and other MPC Models for sync using MIDI Beat Clock and MIDI Time Code on Windows XP Pro Tools 6.9 or Higher.
Configuration of Pro Tools and MPC-2000 for sync using MIDI Beat Clock and MIDI Time Code on Windows.
1) The following setup is for both MTC and MIDI Beat Clock. (When using MTC provide a bar or two of pre-roll)
2) With Pro Tools LE or Pro Tools HD version 6.x, you'll need an interface with MIDI capability such as a MIDI I/O, Digi 002 rack or mixer, Digi 001, or third party MIDI interface.
3) Verify that there is a device created , GO TO Setups menu, MIDI Studio and create a MPC 2000 by clicking "create" choose manufacture and model then the Input Port and Output port on your MIDI interface. Check the properties to check for any preferences to enable MTC or MIDI Beat Clock.
In Pro Tools:
1) go to Setups > Peripherals > Synchronization > Generic MTC > port = DIGI 002 (or, other MIDI Interface of choice)
2) Go to MIDI -> MIDI Beat Clock -> make sure boxes for Enable MIDI Beat Clock and MPC 2000 are filled in.
3) Session setup > Frame Rate =30 and MTC to port = MPC 2000
In the MPC 2000:
1) go to > MIDI Sync> Frame Rate=30, MIDI Clock (stands for MIDI Beat Clock; Choose either MTC or MIDI Beat clock here), receive MMC=off, Port 1 (There are 2 MIDI INS and 2 MIDI outs on the MPC 2000; VERIFY the MIDI cable going from the MIDI interface into either MIDI IN Port 1 or MIDI IN Port 2 corresponds to the Port selected on the MPC 2000's Midi sync menu)
7) press PLAY on the MPC 2000 (it will wait for sync from Pro Tools
8) press PLAY on Pro Tools; it will trigger the MPC 2000.

back to search results | send us feedback about this article

Hope this helps.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Pro Tools LE 7.3.1, Digi002R, Command8, MPTK
WinXP Pro SP2, ADS Pyro FW, Asus A8N-E
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+,1GB Corsair DDR 400 ram
-------------------------------------------------------------
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM

Default Re: MPC 2000 slave to Protools LE

I posted the same on the MPC-tutor site & got this response Ill post it for people who search for this topic...

syncing MPC2000XL/Pro Tools via MIDI and MMC/Clock

How to sync/setup Pro Tools LE (DIGI001) and MPC2000XL via MIDI/MMC/Clock

This can be an infuriating topic because of the fact neither AKAI or Digidesign have any mention of making this type of "connection" and there are so many options and switches to configure, you sometimes never know if you're getting anywhere.

This guide will get you going fast. I'm a Hip Hop producer, and even though I charge for studio time, I don't like wasting it. And without the MPC and Pro Tools talking to each other as they should, you really are not getting your money's worth out of these things.

What you will end up with is a perfect scenario where your MPC2000XL sequences are triggered instantly when you press play (or rec+play) in Pro Tools LE. There should be no lag, space, or other problem which requires editing or pre-roll or any of that.

If all is said and done and working perfectly, you will save countless hours by just hitting rec+play and tracking your sequences a track at a time, and they will all be in time and
line up perfectly in Pro Tools.

MIDI cables, Pro Tools, and the MPC2000XL, to my knowledge, do not "know" when they are hooked up; they are not like USB cables, so don't fret about that. Just follow these directions and know that this DOES work, can be replicated, and is a great way to save you hours and hours of studio time.

MPC2000XL

1. You only need 1 cable to make this sync trick work. Start by plugging a MIDI cable from the MIDI OUT port of your DIGI001.
2. Plug the other end into the MIDI IN port of your MPC. Either 1 or 2 is fine.
3. Hit Shift+9 on your MPC, bringing up the MIDI/Sync page.
4. On the left side is Sync In, set the (In:1) to correspond to the port you plugged in from step 2.
5. Next, Mode should be set to MIDI Clock.
6. Shift Early can be left at 0.

Your MPC is now ready to receive MIDI sync commands from Pro Tools. Hit the MAIN SCREEN button to return to the main MPC window. If you don't, you won't hear your sequences when triggered. I don't know why, but if you leave it on the MIDI/Sync page, it screws things up.

Pro Tools LE

1. Click Setups>Peripherals menu, then click the Synchronization tab
2. Set Device drop down to Generic MMC Reader
3. Set Port to DIGIDESIGN DIGI001
4. Minimum Sync Delay is set at 30, but this is irrelevant
5. UNCHECK the "Enable Control of Pro Tools LE via MMC" checkbox (if it was checked)
6. Click the Machine Control tab
7. UNCHECK the ENABLE box (if it was checked)
8. The other two tabs are not necessary in our example
9. Click OK to exit the Peripherals dialog box.
10. Using the Pro Tools transport window, click the Clock icon, (or use the menu Operations>Online, or hit CTRL J)
11. The Clock icon now flashes.
12. Click the MIDI menu, then click Change Tempo.
13. Match Pro Tools tempo with your MPC sequence tempo. If your sequence is all MIDI notes or is a loop that can
be tempo adjusted without gap or spacing problems, you can change the tempo right in Pro Tools, and it will change it on the MPC all in real-time. This is very slick!

When you hit play (or rec+play) in Pro Tools, your MPC tempo should display (EXT) where the Tempo once was, but only during play. Also, you can use Pro Tools transport to FF or REW and it will move the time code display in the MPC.

What's also amazing is that if you set your Pro Tools session to bars|beats, and then click the FF or REW buttons, they play head will jog forward a bar or back a bar, and even show this right on the MPC. This is sync, baby!

These steps are not foolproof, there is often SOMETHING that can go wrong, but these are the steps I used to get it working, and my setup is basic and this step alone is now saving me hours and headaches not having to hand-edit the tracks that are off because I recorded them at-will in Pro Tools.

This is how things are supposed to be!

Enjoy, and happy MIDI synching. Very Happy

P.S. A client brought in an ASRXPRO (ASR X PRO) and we got it to do the same thing in Pro Tools; just set your MIDI to "sync ext clocks" and it will work great.