Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Default Problem with Digi 003 Rack and Pro Tools

I'm currently having an issue with my Digi 003 Rack and Pro Tools, when I begin to start up pro tools the HOST/1394 light is solid, but when it gets to the "Initializing Controllers" part of the start up, the Rack restarts itself, then the HOST/1394 just begins blinking and I get a message on Pro Tools saying "Cannot communicate with 003. Please connect the unit and press OK" I restart the rack and the HOST light continues to blink. I've had this Rack for a few years and my dad tried using it on Pro Tools 8 (I'm currently using PT10) and he said he had the same problem I'm having now so I'm assuming it has something to do with the Rack, my dad never ended up figuring out the problem and he kind of just let the Rack sit until I built my computer and picked it back up so I can get some of my own stuff done. So as far as I know, the Rack has never been used successfully because we got it new. Some additional info: The Link light in the back remains solid green while the HOST light blinks. When I bring up Device Manager, it doesn't show the Rack in the 1394 bus host controller category, it shows up under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers (this is while blinking, idk about when its solid.) Thanks in advanced for any help I get.

Last edited by dreid4; 07-05-2014 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added additional info
Old 07-05-2014, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Problem with Digi 003 Rack and Pro Tools

Start by reading this thread:
Help us Help You - READ THIS Before Posting!
then come back with all the details of your system(as in EVERY detail) and if you are on PC, post a Sandra report as its pretty easy to have a hardware incompatibility(the wrong chipset or FW controller can just not work).

Then, there is the questuion that must be asked. Have you(or your dad or anybody) ever "hot-patched" the 003?("hot-patch" means plug or unplug the FW cable with things powered ON). Hot-patching has been known to fry the FW circuit in the 003, the FW card in the computer or both(ask me how I know).

Regarding Pro Tools versions; LE8 and 10, with 10, you MUST install a separate driver from Avid. UNLIKE LE8, all the newer versions do NOT include the hardware driver.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-06-2014, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Problem with Digi 003 Rack and Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreid4 View Post
I'm currently having an issue with my Digi 003 Rack and Pro Tools, when I begin to start up pro tools the HOST/1394 light is solid, but when it gets to the "Initializing Controllers" part of the start up, the Rack restarts itself, then the HOST/1394 just begins blinking and I get a message on Pro Tools saying "Cannot communicate with 003. Please connect the unit and press OK" I restart the rack and the HOST light continues to blink. I've had this Rack for a few years and my dad tried using it on Pro Tools 8 (I'm currently using PT10) and he said he had the same problem I'm having now so I'm assuming it has something to do with the Rack, my dad never ended up figuring out the problem and he kind of just let the Rack sit until I built my computer and picked it back up so I can get some of my own stuff done. So as far as I know, the Rack has never been used successfully because we got it new. Some additional info: The Link light in the back remains solid green while the HOST light blinks. When I bring up Device Manager, it doesn't show the Rack in the 1394 bus host controller category, it shows up under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers (this is while blinking, idk about when its solid.) Thanks in advanced for any help I get.
Possible firmware and/or driver issue. PT8 and PT 10 use different firmware. Check the drivers you are using. Depending on the drivers you have, go here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...02-003-Drivers and get 003rack drivers. The new 9.0.8 drivers for the rack work ok. If you have old drivers uninstall them with the rack disconnected. Install the new drivers. As Albee says don't hotswap the firewire cable, turn everything off and connect the 003R. Power up 003 then computer. You may see firmware update message when you launch PT, say yes to update firmware. If Pro Tools runs your good. If not try forcing firmware update.
With the unit off (and your computer on) hold down 'Aux In->7/8' and the 'Mute' button (next to the Monitor knob), and then turn on the power to the unit. The MIDI Lights (In, Out1, Out2) will all start flashing. The MIDI lights flashing is the only indication on the 003 Rack that the unit is in this mode.

Once it is in this mode, launch Pro Tools, and you will see the message, "003 has firmware version x.xx, do you want to update..." Click the Update button to upload the 003 firmware.

Last edited by bcwiz; 07-06-2014 at 02:42 PM.