Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Default Why Can\'t I allocate more memory?

My memory allocation cant be changed for some reason.

I have massive sessions going on. Getting the error about not enough memory (DAE -9006 - something about 'cannot make edit. protools is critically low on memory, please save and quit). My situation is not covered under the answer base scenarios. Basically I change engines and buffers to get a larger allocation (230MB), but after every restart it just returns to the default 125MB default. I cant make it stick with the changed size.

I have used the pref helper and deleted all databases and prefs. I have repaired permissions. Only one account on the computer - never changed.

Internal SATA dedicated audio drive is being used.

PT7.4cs2
MacPro Quad
5GB RAM
750GB SATA drive 380GB free.

Anybody? Ainslie
Old 01-02-2008, 10:51 PM

Default Re: Why Can\'t I allocate more memory?

Reduce the number of Undos in your prefs... How huge is this session? Mac apps can only access 4GB of RAM... Any VI's in the session? Any reverbs using IR's?

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-02-2008, 10:59 PM

make sure the reset system memory is NOT checked in the playback engine settings

also you MUST reboot the computer after the allocation is set and not just relaunch pro tools

FYI in order to maximize the memory allocation for PT max out the voices and DAE Buffer size this will set the max amount of RAM
and then reBOOT the CPU before launching pro tools again

you can then go back to your previous allocation without changing
the reserved RAM allocations

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 01-02-2008, 11:55 PM

Quote:
make sure the reset system memory is NOT checked in the playback engine settings

also you MUST reboot the computer after the allocation is set and not just relaunch pro tools

FYI in order to maximize the memory allocation for PT max out the voices and DAE Buffer size this will set the max amount of RAM

All the above is as I have done it and have it set each attempt. I have done this sucessfully plenty of times on many systems up till 7.3. Reset is not checked, 4 cache is use, 192 voice 6 chip engine selected. PT tells me to restart computer. I do so. The memory allocated to PT does not change to 230 as it had reported it would. I dont understand why this setting is not sticking.

ALSO - this setting won't stick regardless of any session being opened prior. It wont change on a fresh restart without opening anything either.

Thanks for the ideas ... Any more?

Ainslie
Old 01-03-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:

All the above is as I have done it and have it set each attempt. I have done this sucessfully plenty of times on many systems up till 7.3. Reset is not checked, 4 cache is use, 192 voice 6 chip engine selected. PT tells me to restart computer. I do so. The memory allocated to PT does not change to 230 as it had reported it would. I dont understand why this setting is not sticking.

ALSO - this setting won't stick regardless of any session being opened prior. It wont change on a fresh restart without opening anything either.

Thanks for the ideas ... Any more?

Ainslie
I had the same exact problem...

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...part=1#1234801

After I installed 7.4cs2, I never could get the full 300MB memory allocation, ProTools kept reverting to 125MB. But when I tried for something less I was able to allocate 180MB and I was able to do what I needed. Funny thing was I help set up a friends Quad G5 and had no problem getting the full 300MB memory allocation on his machine.

STeve

Power Mac G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 2.5 GB RAM, OS X 10.4.10
Magma 13 slot 32bit chassis, Atto UL3D SCSI
HD core, 4x Accel, 2x HD Process
1x 192, 1x 888|24, sync i/o
ProTools 7.4cs2, Logic 8.0.1, Live 7.0.1
Old 01-03-2008, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Reduce the number of Undos in your prefs... How huge is this session? Mac apps can only access 4GB of RAM... Any VI's in the session? Any reverbs using IR's?

Rail
Hey Rail ... no VI's, and no verbs at all. Just a rough mix setup to edit a live show. 31 Audio tracks. The only RTAS is SSL waves one instance. Session is 830MB and growing I am 80% thru editing (see my post on massive session sizes from EA). So I expect it to go over 1GB.

Activity monitor shows PT taking 1.37GB real memory. No other apps other than activity monitor running. I do not know fully how to read it - it says 675MB free, 4.34GB used even tho PT is only 1.37GB. Hmmmmmm ... I suspect holding all the fadefiles in the session document is not working well for memory management ...

But does this have anything to do with not being able to get the allocated memory setting to change?

Ainslie
Old 01-03-2008, 12:15 AM

Quote:
But does this have anything to do with not being able to get the allocated memory setting to change?
Probably not... I was just wondering how much RAM your "masssive" session was using.

Best regards,

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 01-03-2008, 12:25 AM

I always wondered why some people put 7GB of RAM and more into their machines. Since only 4GB can be addressed. Even with huge amounts of RAM installed and you look at the system usage PT hardly ever uses more than 1-2GB of physical RAM no matter how huge and complex the session is.

Isnดt that much RAM just a waste of money?

I read statements on the DUC like "install as much RAM as you can afford". How does this combine with the fact that PT hardly ever uses even 2GB and then still uses uge virtual memory on the system drive even when thereดs more than 4 times the RAM left unused?

Digi only recommends minimum RAM but is there an official word on how much RAM is simply overkill?

frank.
Old 01-03-2008, 02:31 AM

Quote:
I always wondered why some people put 7GB of RAM and more into their machines. Since only 4GB can be addressed. Even with huge amounts of RAM installed and you look at the system usage PT hardly ever uses more than 1-2GB of physical RAM no matter how huge and complex the session is.

Isnดt that much RAM just a waste of money?

I read statements on the DUC like "install as much RAM as you can afford". How does this combine with the fact that PT hardly ever uses even 2GB and then still uses uge virtual memory on the system drive even when thereดs more than 4 times the RAM left unused?

Digi only recommends minimum RAM but is there an official word on how much RAM is simply overkill?

frank.
Hi,

Try running PT with lots of sampler VI's and lots of IR reverbs and melodyne plug on 6 tracks etc etc and see how much ram is in use!! Plus any ram fitted above 4g would help with application running in the background, Safari/Logic/Spectra Foo/ etc etc.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:24 AM

What I meant was that people say that more RAM speeds up PT in any case. I have gone to 4GB from 2GB. I have a huge session open (includes, Altiverbs, Speakerphone, EQs on every track (about 110 active tracks but no VIs (unless speakerphone counts as a VI))

After installing the 4GB there was abolutely no change in the activity monitor. PT uses 490MB of RAM while using 1GB of virtual memory.

The only difference I noticed is that the size of my unused memory has gone up to 3GB after installing the additional ram. So it seems like Iดve invested in unused RAM?

I have safari, soundminer, ftp-client and other programs open in the background but that doesnดt make a difference.

My question is how can PT work faster with more RAM when it doesnดt even use it and but uses the slow virtual memory off disk?

Let me re-phrase the question: The 4GB-addressing limitation of OSX, is that a per-application-figure or does that apply for the entire RAM used by all applications running?

If the first is true I wonder why apple builds so many RAM slots into the G5 if the system can only address 4GB?

frank.