Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2015, 10:02 PM

Default Fast Track Ultra: Can't Hear When Recording

Limited engineering skill here.

1. I can record using the FTU, levels are fine.
2. I can hear playback as well.

What I can't hear is a hot enough level of the track I'm recording, and can't figure out how to adjust that.

Note: In SONAR, I have the input of say, a guitar track I'm recording set to Left Fast Track Ultra ASIO (64-bit) Analog In 5. And I have the Output set to Fast Track Ultra ASIO (64-bit) Analog Out 1. I've tried Analog Out 5, but no difference.

How can I crank that up??? (Thanks)

Windows 7 Pro sp1, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (Driver: 6.1.8, Firmware: 1.5.1), SONAR X3
Old 08-28-2015, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Fast Track Ultra: Can't Hear When Recording

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamlin View Post
Limited engineering skill here.

1. I can record using the FTU, levels are fine.
2. I can hear playback as well.

What I can't hear is a hot enough level of the track I'm recording, and can't figure out how to adjust that.

Note: In SONAR, I have the input of say, a guitar track I'm recording set to Left Fast Track Ultra ASIO (64-bit) Analog In 5. And I have the Output set to Fast Track Ultra ASIO (64-bit) Analog Out 1. I've tried Analog Out 5, but no difference.

How can I crank that up??? (Thanks)

Windows 7 Pro sp1, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (Driver: 6.1.8, Firmware: 1.5.1), SONAR X3
How are you monitoring? via Pro Tools or using the hardware monitoring in the Fast Track Ultra?. If the later, then you need to turn up the hardware motioning level in the Ultra. That is *not* the gain level of the preamp. Time to open up the Fast Track Ultra User Guide and read the section about monitoring.

The recording level of the track is one thing. That is all you should we worrying about. Is it OK?

This Forum is littered with folks trying to record signals too hot. Recording at -15dBFS or -20dBFS is fine. Set the preamp gain to get stuff in this level. Then if you are monitoring though hardware monitoring in the interface turn that up to some decent level, if you want stuff louder you turn up the volume in your monitors/speakers or get bigger ones.

If you can't hear what you are tracking and you are trying to use software monitoring though Pro Tools you are likely in the wrong input monitoring mode. Try toggling that with CTRL K.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:20 PM

Darryl, thanks for responding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
How are you monitoring? via Pro Tools or using the hardware monitoring in the Fast Track Ultra?. If the later, then you need to turn up the hardware motioning level in the Ultra. That is *not* the gain level of the preamp. Time to open up the Fast Track Ultra User Guide and read the section about monitoring.
Hmmm...I use SONAR X3. How am I monitoring? Do NOT laugh (too hard): I have options? All I know is that I have my headphones plugged in to the Fast Track Ultra.... And in the driver screen I have everything cranked.

I've tried the manual but I don't seem to get past this.

Quote:
The recording level of the track is one thing. That is all you should we worrying about. Is it OK?
Yes, the recording level is fine. It's just being able to get what's being recorded loud enough to hear what I'm playing or singing.

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (Driver: 6.1.8, Firmware: 1.5.1), SONAR X3
Old 08-28-2015, 10:22 PM

Sonar? What is that.

Work out how to use hardware monitoring... Read the user guide about "monitoring". That explains all you need to know. Then just play with that, you don't even need a DAW running... and play around and get that monitoring to work for you.

Software monitoring is listening to what you are recording though the DAW, but that adds latency, which might be a problem.

Hardware monitoring is just using the separate small hardware mixer built into the interface, and you set that up to monitor the different inputs independent of the DAW, with no DAW IO buffer related latency. If you are singing you may probalby be better off starting with hardware monitoring. Either way you need to understand the options. The mixer can also blend back in output from your DAW so you can perform with that previous recordings (but when using hardware monitoring you will disable (in the DAW) any software monitoring of the new tracks you are recording (see the Sonar documentation for how you do that... but I suspect you may already software monitoring disabled).
Old 08-28-2015, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Sonar? What is that.

Work out how to use hardware monitoring... Read the user guide about "monitoring". That explains all you need to know. Then just play with that, you don't even need a DAW running... and play around and get that monitoring to work for you.

Software monitoring is listening to what you are recording though the DAW, but that adds latency, which might be a problem.

Hardware monitoring is just using the separate small hardware mixer built into the interface, and you set that up to monitor the different inputs independent of the DAW, with no DAW IO buffer related latency. If you are singing you may probalby be better off starting with hardware monitoring. Either way you need to understand the options. The mixer can also blend back in output from your DAW so you can perform with that previous recordings (but when using hardware monitoring you will disable (in the DAW) any software monitoring of the new tracks you are recording (see the Sonar documentation for how you do that... but I suspect you may already software monitoring disabled).
That's clear, thank you. I'll head on over to the manual. Send brain cells, please! :)

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra (Driver: 6.1.8, Firmware: 1.5.1), SONAR X3