Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-08-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Used all available drivers for Mbox 2 (Win 7 x64) & still distorted playback

Hi there, just adding to the heap of problems with this driver issue. I recently just upgraded my computer to:

i5 2500 Quad Core 3.3GHZ
8GB DD3 Ram
Win 7 x64

My MBox 2 (USB) was working fine on my old Win XP machine (of course). So the issue I am having is that I'm getting a heavily distorted sound (kind of like a bitcrusher effect) on playback, both from audio played in my DAW (Ableton, my PT isn't installed) and outside on Itunes. I've un-installed/re-installed abosolutely all the drivers I could find on the net that work with Win 7 x64 (the beta drivers, I think it was version 8), the new drivers available (I think 9.08), and tried all these also using Asio4all. There are the older drivers (version 7) but I guess they are not for Windows 7 but in any case, with every situation I get the same problem. I've tried other things I've found on the net that deal with people having similar issue with the sound distortion (ie. checking off "allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" for both playback and recording) but no luck. I did however switch it to the onboard sound card and everything sounded fine.

Also, I switched the Mbox back to the old unit just to test and the audio played fine, so it isn't the box.

Almost every problem I've found though currently has been solved by the new drivers. Is there any other situation I should pursue or look at? If I am getting the exact same issue with all the drivers could be something else? I get no freezing, everything installs and uninstalls okay, and I can run everything, it's just the distorted output. I've look through the forums, but if there is anything I have missed please let me know if you can and I can find and read it as well. Cheers!
Old 03-01-2012, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Used all available drivers for Mbox 2 (Win 7 x64) & still distorted playback

I have the same problem. I've just installed the USB MBOX2 Beta Drivers on my Win7 x64 PC and the audio is distorted. PD HD3 +192I/O works fine on this system, but I've just moved the HD cards on to another place so I'm needing PTLE on this system now.

The Avid website does say that they're aware of the distortion issue, so I'm hoping it gets sorted.

Quote:
Alert: We are aware of an issue with Mbox 2 USB devices and the current beta drivers for Windows 7 that may cause distortion during playback. We are looking into the problem and will post an update when more information is available.
It's definitely the USB MBOX2 drivers because the box works fine on my XP system and the leads all check out with other audio sources. And, using Cubase or Microsoft Media player with the MBOX2 is distorted, but using the internal sound card on either Cubase or Media Player is fine. Reboot doesn't help, nor changing any of the MBOX2 settings.

Mike.

6 Core i7 X980 @3.33GHz
Gigabyte Mobo
AMD ATI Radeon 5450 Graphics Card