Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 03-14-2018, 08:07 PM

Default Re: thinking of switching from logic on mac to pro tools in windows

I’m a long time Windows OS using musician. Just a few of my own thoughts after swimming upstream against the very strong of Apple interfaces. My latest purchase is a Focusrite Red4Pre with ADAT, DANTE bridge to Pro Tools HD with Thunderbolt 2. Fantastic Swiss Army knife for tying legacy equipment together. Downside, no Win drivers. Why? PC manufacturers use the word “standard” very loosely. PC Thunderbolt tech is a nightmare because of the differences in MB implementation. On a Mac if you buy a Thunderbolt interface you plug it in and it works. Drivers, memory, etc. I love the ability to easily run 64 Gb of RAM over a MBP. My path down the PC trail started with Cakewalk a few decades ago. In hindsight I would have started with Logic or PTs and saved myself hours of head banging. My opinion only reflects my own experience and in no way is a recommendation for anyone else.
Custom PC Intel 7700K, 64Gb Corsair 2800, Windows 10 Home, Pro Tools HD 2018, Avid Pro Tools Native PCIe, Focusrite REDNET PCIe, Midas M32 w DANTE, Presonus RM32AI w DANTE, Focusrite Saffire 56, Digiman D8, Eureka, REDNET5, RED4Pre, iConnect MIDI4, Rockit 8’s, Yamaha 8’s, JBL 10in Sub,Big Knob, Presonus HP-60, Fender, Gibson, Collings, Martin guitars. Mesa MK V head, Mesa 1x12, 2x12 cabs, AXE-FX XL II, Fender Deluxe, Yamaha Motif XF8, Matrixbrute, Drumbrute, Sub 37, microKorg, Moog MF101/102/103