Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-25-2017, 10:17 AM

Default Re: AAE-9173 - Ran Out Of CPU Power

"Since this utility is expected to affect systems with poorly implemented external drives can you say exactly what make/model external drives you have so we can see if others have the same drives are affected the same way."

I don't think this is a drive problem.
The -9173 error reported widely on this forum affects both Mac & PCs. All using a wide variety of drives. My conclusion is that this is either an AVID programming issue or Computer Operating System issue.
I have now completed 4 long days without a single error. Working in sessions with musicians on the studio floor, there are lot of pauses from actual PT operation. Previously, I was aware of lags and general sluggishness in GUI response when I returned to PT active duty after sorting out mic positions, drum tunings etc. Now all that is gone.
Since all I am doing is poking the drives every 60 secs with the software that works for me I have to assume the problem was energy saving software either in the Mac OS or on the drives. PT just needs the drives spinning or in the case of SSDs, awake every time it tries to access them.
As part of my run up to solving the problem (for me at least,) I suspected the SSD with my audio system on it (Samsung EVO 1TB). Last week I purchased a brand new 3 TB Seagate BarraCuda HD, Carbon Copy Cloned the Audio SSD to it and restarted from this cloned spinning disk. Protools was virtually unusable because of all the problems outline in my original post. Except that they were much worse than I was getting with the SSD. At that point I wiped the SSD, re-trimmed it with Diglloyd tools and CCC'd the BarraCuda HD back to it. Restarted and got all the same errors, though less than with the spinning disk. In despair I drew my final conclusions outlined in my original post and went for the fix.
If I am proved correct for most other engineers with these problem, it may be that AVID should write a HD poker into PT.
In the meantime, I'm reborn...
jonh