Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2018, 11:50 PM

Default Files missing from project

Very weird problem, wondering if anyone has run across this. Mixed an episode of a TV show, exported review mix and saved project. Nothing weird all straightforward. Today I got a list of updates to do and as I opened the project I got a message that there were tons of invalid fade files. Project opened and I discovered that about half the files had disappeared from the timeline, not empty clips, nothing, gone. Went to the last autosave, same message and situation. We keep several versions of the project. 1. when its opened from an AAF file. 2. When its been arranged into our template. 3. after dialog leveling pass. 4. mix 5. mix with updates.
Went back to version 2, all opened fine. No warnings all files present. I didn't want to go back to square one so started going through autosaves from newest to oldest. Same corruption until I got to about halfway through the list. Then I got one that was fine and mix was present for about half the show. While scanning the autosave files I noticed that the file that was good was 3.1mb. The next autosave, ten minutes later was 1.5 mb this was the first corrupt.
So what I'm guessing is that all saves after a certain time were corrupt. The open project I was working on was fine because I output a mix and all was correct. I had made a backup of the whole project onto another drive at the end of the day and that had all the same problems.
Has anyone seen anything like this?
I am working on 2018.4 on a 2012 12 core Mac. OS 10.12.6. Older episodes of this series are fine and another project I worked on today is fine. Stumped.
Thanks for any insights
Old 09-27-2018, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Files missing from project

Hi, we had the same problem yesterday while mixing a TV show too.
I worked for the entire afternoon with no issues or warnings and when we repoened the session most the files were gone. We've lost 3+ hours of work.

On the timeline you could see the clip gain lines of the missing files but not the underlying audio clip.

The session file dimension went suddently from 3.6 to 2.3Mb.

We are using PT ultimate 2018.4 on a windows 10 machine.

I've opened a ticket with avid.

This is a major, major, major bug that needs to be addressed immediatly.
Old 09-27-2018, 03:25 PM

Wow, not good at all... So, if the PT launch file is over 3.2MB, the session will corrupt itself?

Sounds like an older issue that Outlook used to have, where if the .ost file was over a certain file size limit, the data would likewise corrupt.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:12 PM

No, I don't think the issue is related to the dimension of the session files, we have files much bigger than that.

There's something else going on we don't know but Avid told me they are working on it.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:07 AM

Posting again-for some reason my reply was deleted from this thread a few days ago. The same thing is still happening to several people and prevalent in 2019.6.
Not getting any answers from Avid on this. Has anyone found any objective evidence for the cause of this bug?

Here's a new thread on the issue...
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405902

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrecord View Post
Very weird problem, wondering if anyone has run across this. Mixed an episode of a TV show, exported review mix and saved project. Nothing weird all straightforward. Today I got a list of updates to do and as I opened the project I got a message that there were tons of invalid fade files. Project opened and I discovered that about half the files had disappeared from the timeline, not empty clips, nothing, gone. Went to the last autosave, same message and situation. We keep several versions of the project. 1. when its opened from an AAF file. 2. When its been arranged into our template. 3. after dialog leveling pass. 4. mix 5. mix with updates.
Went back to version 2, all opened fine. No warnings all files present. I didn't want to go back to square one so started going through autosaves from newest to oldest. Same corruption until I got to about halfway through the list. Then I got one that was fine and mix was present for about half the show. While scanning the autosave files I noticed that the file that was good was 3.1mb. The next autosave, ten minutes later was 1.5 mb this was the first corrupt.
So what I'm guessing is that all saves after a certain time were corrupt. The open project I was working on was fine because I output a mix and all was correct. I had made a backup of the whole project onto another drive at the end of the day and that had all the same problems.
Has anyone seen anything like this?
I am working on 2018.4 on a 2012 12 core Mac. OS 10.12.6. Older episodes of this series are fine and another project I worked on today is fine. Stumped.
Thanks for any insights
Closed Thread