Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-04-2020, 11:36 AM

Default Connecting preamp to compressors to interface

Which of the 2 ways below should I connect the warm audio wa73eq to a klark teknik kt2a and a klark teknik 76kt then to my interface for tracking vocals?

akg c214 into wa73eq out the wa73eq insert send into the kt2a then out the kt2a into the 76kt then out the 76kt into the insert return of the wa73eq and then finally out the wa73eq output into a channel on my interface.

or

akg c214 into wa73eq out the wa73eq output into the kt2a then out the kt2a into the 76kt then out the 76kt into a channel on my interface.

Thanks for all input
Old 03-04-2020, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Connecting preamp to compressors to interface

I don't know that it matters either way, unless there's any noise difference between each setup.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-04-2020, 01:50 PM

It’s kinda confusing the written way but you should be hitting the preamp first before the EQ

Mic > Preamp > EQ > Comps >

It should be like this unless you want to swap the EQ and comp position

Did I miss something?
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 03-04-2020, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneSetter View Post

akg c214 into wa73eq out the wa73eq output into the kt2a then out the kt2a into the 76kt then out the 76kt into a channel on my

This is the best way to do it. I had nothing but issues when I tried to use the insert on my WA273EQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 03-04-2020, 07:23 PM

While I double-compress in a mix all the time, I would probably never do it while tracking. Its just too easy to accidentally overdo it(which can never be UNdone). I would go mic>preamp>compressor>interface. The KT2A would be my choice for vocals, but I might go with the 76 for some other sources

BUT**** the great big "but", since you never mention what interface, there is one more detail that matters. Make sure you go into the interface on a line level input and NOT a mic(XLR) input.

If you really feel compelled to go thru both compressors on the way in, I would take 2 signals(put up 2 audio tracks, make them a group, mute one, record both). 1 signal would be the output of the second compressor and the other signal would be the extra output of the first compressor(assuming they have both XLR and TRS outputs). This way, if you "overcook" with 2 comps, you also have a recording with only the first

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-05-2020, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post

BUT**** the great big "but", since you never mention what interface, there is one more detail that matters. Make sure you go into the interface on a line level input and NOT a mic(XLR) input.
In reference to this keep in mind that not all interfaces that have both line level and mic level inputs have separate input stages. Some use a circuit with a pad in front of the mic pre section on the line input. So you'd still be going through the mic pre circuitry.

QAPLA!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
It’s kinda confusing the written way but you should be hitting the preamp first before the EQ

Mic > Preamp > EQ > Comps >

It should be like this unless you want to swap the EQ and comp position

Did I miss something?
I understand it should go Mic > Preamp > EQ > Comps > or Mic > Preamp > Comps > EQ > but what I was wondering is if I should use the send return inserts or the output of the wa73eq to go to the comps
Old 03-05-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
This is the best way to do it. I had nothing but issues when I tried to use the insert on my WA273EQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is the way I have it now because it is less cables
Old 03-05-2020, 01:17 PM

Quote:
While I double-compress in a mix all the time, I would probably never do it while tracking. Its just too easy to accidentally overdo it(which can never be UNdone). I would go mic>preamp>compressor>interface. The KT2A would be my choice for vocals, but I might go with the 76 for some other sources

If you really feel compelled to go thru both compressors on the way in, I would take 2 signals(put up 2 audio tracks, make them a group, mute one, record both). 1 signal would be the output of the second compressor and the other signal would be the extra output of the first compressor(assuming they have both XLR and TRS outputs). This way, if you "overcook" with 2 comps, you also have a recording with only the first
I have a half normal patchbay so I will probably route the pre to the interface through the patchbay then also split it from the pre to the comps then to the interface on a different channel and record 2 channels. 1 without comp and 1 with just incase I'm not feeling what I did then I can just send the clean out to the comps with different settings and record back in if needed
Old 03-05-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
In reference to this keep in mind that not all interfaces that have both line level and mic level inputs have separate input stages. Some use a circuit with a pad in front of the mic pre section on the line input. So you'd still be going through the mic pre circuitry.
I'm using the scarlett 18i20 2nd gen. If the phantom power is off on channels 5 to 8 are those line level?