Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2019
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2020, 09:12 PM

Default dumb click question

silly question probably. I have a song in 12/8, starts off at dotted quarter = 98, but has slight tempo changes throughout.

I'm trying to change my click from dotted quarters to eighths. When i uncheck "follow tempo" in the click plugin on the click track and select eighths, I get five eight note clicks per bar and then silence until the next bar starts, when I get another five eighth note clicks.

Any idea what is happening here? I don't want to change the time base to eights, as I have tempo changes in the song and will have to recalculate and change all of those in addition to the starting tempo.

www.merlotembargo.com
Old 03-04-2020, 06:03 AM

Default Re: dumb click question

Well, I'm pretty sure you want your click to "follow meter" (I don't know what that option is used for) but changing the click in the Meter Change window to 1/8th notes should do it. That's a lot of clicks at dotted-quarter 98bpm though...

If you only need 1/8th notes for a couple very slow bars (for example) you can insert a meter change - keeping the meter at 12/8 but changing the click value in that window. Then do the same again when you want to change the click back.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Re: dumb click question

Yes I agree with JJ, change the click value on this menu instead: http://duc.avid.com/attachment.php?a...1&d=1583339776

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdgross View Post
When i uncheck "follow tempo" in the click plugin on the click track and select eighths, I get five eight note clicks per bar and then silence until the next bar starts, when I get another five eighth note clicks.
This has had me foxed before now as well and it seems to me so that the click plug-in is pretty useless if you uncheck "follow meter". I mean, who wants five 8th note clicks and then silence? In what possible universe is that of any use to anyone? And yet there it is, clicking away uselessly...And why five clicks? Has no one at AVID ever tried using it on anything other than 4/4?

Why has no one ever addressed this? Does it just bother no one else except me and the OP?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-03-04 at 16.35.39.png (17.0 KB, 0 views)