Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-22-1999, 10:35 AM
Avid

Default Logic Audio Support is Here

Congratulations and thanks to Emagic for implementing support for 001 so quickly. Here's the news release from Emagic's web site......

Digi001 support now available for Logic Audio Macintosh 22.12.1999

Only shortly after receiving the first Digi001 development units, Emagic presents
Logic Audio 4.1.2 — the ideal software companion for Digidesign's latest home
studio hardware release. Thanks to a specially tailored Direct I/O and MIDI
adaptation, Digi001 owners can now use all the functions of their hardware with
Logic Audio Macintosh. Convince yourself of the quality of this powerful combination
by visiting our dedicated Digi001 site. The no-charge Version 4.1.2 updater is
available for immediate download by all current Logic Audio and MicroLogic AV
Macintosh Version 4.0 owners.
Avid
Skype edgray1000
Old 12-22-1999, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Logic Audio Support is Here

this sounds like a fabulous opportunity ... someone pls correct me if i'm wrong, but i can combine the audio and midi superpowers of digidesign and emagic? to what extent can these products be used together? they advertise (on emagic site):
1. up to 64 stereo tracks
2. parallel use of interleaved and mono files, even mixed
3. parallel use of 16 and 24 bit audio files
4. direct support of digi001 midi inputs and outputs

audio-suite, rtas and vst plug-ins in one session? so can (with the appropriate computer hardware) one record tracks with the digi001 hardware on ptle and on logic - then output them together via digi001 outputs? i would also wonder if (for example) audio files recorded to ptle could be copied to logic (becos the favored effect was vst)?

sounds to me the benefit of this combination is exponential (if my assumptions are correct)...i am basically starting from scratch on this, so i guess my only additional cost would be the purchase of the logic software....

is this as good as my hallucination makes it seem?

thanks
-mitch
Old 12-22-1999, 06:05 PM

A curious note. The new Logic 4.1.2 Direct I/O option does not address the optical ports located on the Digi001's PCI card. It does address the analogue ports on the box itself just fine. I guess in a normal mix down situation you probably wouldn't use the opticals. (Unless, you're routing to the optical ports on a digital mixer.)
Old 12-22-1999, 06:38 PM

i would be mixing the computer audio to a digital mixer actually....

so if i understand e.d. correctly, i can get in and out of the computer via the 8-analog converters...but not via the adat lightpipe? this would be a bummer for me...
Old 12-23-1999, 10:02 AM

Mitch:

You understand me correctly. One of my intended uses was to send 8 channels to an ADAT card of a Pansonic DA7. (I do it now with Logic using a Korg 1212 I/O.) There is no such capability with Logic 4.1.2. Rat! Oh well.
Old 12-23-1999, 02:46 PM

Marlowe,
I don't currently own either system, so I'm not exactly sure what you mean here....which system has this setting that needs to be tweaked...and after this is done, there would be full access to analog, ADAT lightpipe and SP/DIF outs from the digi001? I am also curious if both PT.LE and Logic can access these outs at the same time....and to further this querry, can both programs send audio to the same out at the same time? I am very curious....Thanks
Mitch
Old 12-23-1999, 06:37 PM

Oops ! I stand corrected. I noticed the 16 I/O option and was going retract my previous statement. It pays to look closely at the settings window.
Old 12-23-1999, 07:01 PM

E.D. -- does this mean we are in luck? it sounds as if you own both systems...as i noted above, i have ntg and am taking my time to plan exactly wot i need -- would you suggest to combine these platforms?
Old 12-23-1999, 07:27 PM

....and i'm still wondering if, using both PT and Logic, if we can mix all audio down and output together thru digi001 outputs -- reason being if we are only going to use ONLY the 8-ADAT lightpipe outs, there is alot of audio for 8 outs -- can we mix audio from both platforms to same outputs ?
Old 12-23-1999, 11:22 PM

Mitch:

I haven't tried it yet, but I think you can run all 16 outs simultaneously, if you've got somewhere to send the lightpipe. However, I think that the S/PDIF outs may be tied to analog outputs 1 and 2.)

I have Logic Audio Gold (as well as Cubase and Studio Vision Pro 4.2.2.) I've been effectively using the a Korg 1212 I/O to do S/PDIF 2 tracks to the converters on a digital board. I use and the light pipe route to combine tracks with a stand alone HD recorder through the same board.

Now, I've got the Digi001 and I can use the analog outs to route sends and returns to outboard gear and save my CPU from excess strain. Additionally, there are sometimes I just want to mix without turning on the digital mixer/ (Of course, there are also times when I want to mix with out turning on the computer.)

Ergonomically, it's a matter of taste, but IMHO, I'm finding PT LE a bit easier to do audio mix downs. Logic is better for major sequencing and some audio file editing. After two weeks, punctuated by a number of unrelated distractions, my prelimary assessment is that PT LE's strong points are speed and ease of use for audio mixing; Logic's major points are sheer firepower.

I have NO regrets about purchasing PT LE. Even the issue of lack of support for continuous MTC may not be a big a problem as I originally thought. If you can, do both.