Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 02-25-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Get PT11 to recognize Max6

Hey guys so I know absolutely NOTHING about using MIDI but I found a tutorial on youtube to use the Wii Band Hero drums on a computer as a MIDI input (Wii Drums on PC). I did this to be able to record drums without spending hundreds of dollars on a kit that I don't have room for at my current apartment. However, I don't know how to have the signal go through Max6 into PT11 so that I can record it on a track. Can anyone please help me in very basic instructions? thanks!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Get PT11 to recognize Max6

You'll have to set up Max as a ReWire client.

http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vigne...re/rewire.html

Then, just create an instrument track and load Max onto it.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:03 PM

Is there a free option? It looks like that costs money that I don't have...
Old 02-25-2014, 05:12 PM

What are you talking about? Those are instructions, there's nothing for sale on that page.

Quote:
To use Max as a ReWire client and route audio to another application the Max ad_rewire driver is used.

Enabling the ad_rewire driver
  • Choose DSP Status from the Options menu to show the DSP Status window. Click in the Value column for the Driver setting and choose ad_rewire from the Driver pop-up window. The ReWire driver will be selected, and you will see Max/MSP listed as a ReWire device the next time you launch your host application.

With ad_rewire selected as the audio driver for Max, there are three MSP objects you can use to provide this information and to control the host’s transport:
  • The hostcontrol~ object allows you to send commands to the ReWire host to start and stop the transport, set the transport position, change the tempo, change the time signature, and set loop points.
  • The hostphasor~ object will output a beat-synchronized ramp (like the phasor~ object) when the host's transport is playing,. You can use this ramp output to drive your synthesizer in a beat-synchronous fashion or to trigger events on the beat.
  • The hostcontrol~ object allows you to send commands to the ReWire host to start and stop the transport, set the transport position, change the tempo, change the time signature, and set loop points.

Connecting from Max to a host application using ReWire
  • If you have not already done so, enable the ad_rewire driver as described above.
  • Start the application you want to send Max audio output to.
  • Create a channel in the host application to accept input from Max/MSP
  • Open your Max patch and turn on the DSP
Old 02-25-2014, 08:16 PM

then I must have misunderstood something. Where do I find the rewire drivers and such because I don't see any DSP menu's or anything like that...Sorry but I am totally not understanding that page.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:22 PM

You can try reading the instructions on that page. It walks you through the process, step by step.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:38 AM

i can't find dsp settings...are they in pro tools or max? where in said program?
Old 03-05-2014, 10:51 AM

Every instruction on that page is in regards to Max.

This is the very first result when googling "Max DSP status": http://cycling74.com/docs/max5/vigne...sp_status.html

This is going to be an incredibly difficult process if you don't put any effort into it.