Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 11-25-2019, 05:28 PM

Default Black Friday 20 percent off subscription plans now til 12/1

https://www.avid.com/special-offers/black-friday

Is this only for subscriptions or also for support plans.

Last year I almost missed the discount because my renewal is not till January. But they were kind enough to refund my credit card the difference after I asked / begged, which I have to say i was surprised they did.

I have not called support in years and what did we get last year, support for Mojave, plugin rentals, voice rentals and some sound effects.... I am still on High Sierra. Not only do I have to renew ultimate for 400 but now the regular has doubled in price of which I also have a license. So 480.00 total for my renewals after discount and last year was 400 for the two. And now you may not be able to reinstate if you let your support lapse from what other posts are saying.

I wonder if you switch to the two year subscription to save money on the first two years over continuing the support plan, will you then loose your old perpetual licenses from your account because you are now renting the latest version. I have perpetual PT 10, 11, 12, Ultimate. Does anyone know the deal on that? I use 10 and 11 at times when I have to run MT Lion for certain work.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 11-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Black Friday 20 percent off subscription plans now til 12/1

From the fine print at the bottom:

"This promotion is not applicable to renewal of Software Updates and Support Plan for any Perpetual license. "

So, subscription only.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:45 PM

However, Avid is running a separate special for 15% off renewals through most dealers. I think it's through this weekend.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
However, Avid is running a separate special for 15% off renewals through most dealers. I think it's through this weekend.
Great thanks, I have not gotten any emails or notices on discounts from Avid Just for the hell of it I checked Sweetwaters pricing out earlier and yeah it falls under a 15% discount not 20%.

Looks like its good for eight more days at Sweetwater.

Ultimate
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Standard
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...petual-license
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Old 11-26-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post

I wonder if you switch to the two year subscription to save money on the first two years over continuing the support plan, will you then loose your old perpetual licenses from your account because you are now renting the latest version. I have perpetual PT 10, 11, 12, Ultimate. Does anyone know the deal on that? I use 10 and 11 at times when I have to run MT Lion for certain work.
YES you have to surrender your perpetual license.. do NOT switch to subscription.. Why do you think they are offering HEAT and the plugin bundle and 2 years at a massive discount? Cause Avid WANT people to surrender their perpetual licenses for a sub.. See.. one can decide to not renew their support plan, and still use the current version of the software on their current OS for the rest of their life if they choose. With a sub, once you stop paying, the software stops working. Period.

In the case of PT standard..$99 sub per year for two years (which used to be the cost of support plan renewal), but then it goes to 300 bucks a year. Which is more expensive than the support plan renewal.
So.. Let's say -cross grading from perpetual to 5 years of pro tools subscription is $99 for two years then $299 for 3 years, so, a total of $1095

Keeping your support plan going for the next 5 years equals a total of $995

Um.. pretty scummy tactic by Avid, to entice people to give up the software they own, to pay them more in the long run to rent it.
*Really* scummy.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNM View Post
YES you have to surrender your perpetual license.. do NOT switch to subscription.. Why do you think they are offering HEAT and the plugin bundle and 2 years at a massive discount? Cause Avid WANT people to surrender their perpetual licenses for a sub.. See.. one can decide to not renew their support plan, and still use the current version of the software on their current OS for the rest of their life if they choose. With a sub, once you stop paying, the software stops working. Period.

In the case of PT standard..$99 sub per year for two years (which used to be the cost of support plan renewal), but then it goes to 300 bucks a year. Which is more expensive than the support plan renewal.
So.. Let's say -cross grading from perpetual to 5 years of pro tools subscription is $99 for two years then $299 for 3 years, so, a total of $1095

Keeping your support plan going for the next 5 years equals a total of $995

Um.. pretty scummy tactic by Avid, to entice people to give up the software they own, to pay them more in the long run to rent it.
*Really* scummy.
Understood thanks, and thats with no price increases over five years... . I did renew my PT Ultimate at the 15 % discounted support plan on Monday, I still have to renew my standard license before the end of the year. Bah Humbug! Always fun giving Avid money around Christmas time. Little Timmy will see less gifts around the tree this year.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Attention AVID:

I'll give you my Pro Tools Ultimate and my Pro Tools Education Perpetual Licenses when you pry them from my cold, dead hands!

You seriously need to review your insane policies and cut this nonsense.
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 12-04-2019, 05:18 PM

Maybe ya'll dont agree, but you're doing this TO YOURSELVES!!! ive said a thousand times, if you have important money making deeply important WORK to do, get a solid version and fix it on the OS , AND FORGET IT!!!
WHYYYY do you contimue on this hamster wheel?!?!?! As soon as you're happy, they pull the rug out with another OS /non supported newerr bug version....
Old 12-04-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Maybe ya'll dont agree, but you're doing this TO YOURSELVES!!! ive said a thousand times, if you have important money making deeply important WORK to do, get a solid version and fix it on the OS , AND FORGET IT!!!
WHYYYY do you contimue on this hamster wheel?!?!?! As soon as you're happy, they pull the rug out with another OS /non supported newerr bug version....
So what you’re saying is the only way to win is not to play?
PT 2021.10 Ultimate HDX, Dual Slate Raven MTi2, HD IO 16x16, Mac Pro 6.1 2013 on Mojave 10.14.6, 12 core CPU, 64GB RAM, Neve 1073OPX(2), Slate VSX, Focal Solo Be6, Roland V-Drums, DW drums, too many VI’s and plug ins to mention.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:42 PM

Nope, not that saying that at all. I appreciate having my version of protools, and would have no problem buying newer versions , if they had more things i wanted, BUT BUT BUT i absobfknlutely WILL NOT tolerate all this version/OS nonsense, bugs, crashes, white noise , no video on and on and on......I have clients WHO DO NOT CARE, and will quickly move on if'n I dont deliver what I say Im going to deliver, ON TIME......I understand why Avid is doing what theyre doing, its a business model. Everyone who tries this is eventual going to lose, UTTERLY, but in the mean time, I have work to do, and bills to pay, and couldn't care less if theres a 'free' green glowing synthisezer. It astounds me how much time and angst some of you are spending on these issues, when your audio life COULD BE JOYOUS,.!!! ISNT THAT WHAT EVERYONE WANTS?!?!?!? if you like fighting with computers maybe you need another line of work, or different hobby....