Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Default Re: how to monitor and mix the low end

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Or always monitor using 83..85dB calibrated monitoring no matter what you do :) your ears will like it and you can charge +10hour days
Great advice that helps thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Hard to mix something that u cannot hear. I've never been an eye engineer. A properly calibrated sub or 2nd pair of monitors w a fuller range would help. Another non pay option would be to get a reference mix that u like and a/b while mixing. Check in headphones n car as well.
Mmmm i like....I will save up for fuller range monitors thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 02:27 PM

Probably best to frequently compare your work to good reference material at the same RMS level while mixing.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:29 PM

Yeah true
Old 07-28-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOlek SA View Post
Lol how I wish I could be confident already about low end....genelecs would be nice but unfortunately for the money I make with mixing currently it wouldn't be wise to buy them I think....but I know they are great.

Anyone know the yamaha's hs80m monitors? Apparently they have room control knobs behind them and sub, low frequency that they claim to help with low frequency monitoring....if anyone get a chance, please check them out and let us know what u think. I'm just trying to check if there's a way out there to create competitive mixes with great frequency spectrum with just good monitoring skills and good pair of monitors for someone who's still starting
I have the yamaha's and they are quite good I upgraded to these from KRK Rokit 8's and the yamaha personally I find are better. If you are just starting out mixing I would say these are worth the cash :)

PT 10.3.10 HD Accel 6, Mac Pro 5.1 12 Core 3.46hz Dual Boot Lion 10.7.5 and Maverick 10.9.5 32GB Ram Magma PE6R4i Chassis
Old 07-28-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothercolour View Post
Probably best to frequently compare your work to good reference material at the same RMS level while mixing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
I have the yamaha's and they are quite good I upgraded to these from KRK Rokit 8's and the yamaha personally I find are better. If you are just starting out mixing I would say these are worth the cash :)
I currently use the smaller yamaha,'s and I love them... I think I should get the bigger ones that have a fuller range like suggested.... Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 03:11 PM

Default how to monitor and mix the low end

Your best asset right now will and forever be your ears. Analyzers of that nature are great for momentary glances into your work, but your ears must be the final determining factor. Cross-referencing your mixes with your favorite recordings helps too. Regardless as to how your room is set up, when you listen to your mixes in that environment and up against your favorite recordings, it gives you a general idea of your progress. Also keep in mind that listening in multiple environments and on many mediums helps as well.

Work with what you have, adapt and improve. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 07-28-2014, 05:42 PM

I have a pair of Yamaha HS80s. I replaced my old HR824s with them after using them on site at a post house I do jobs for. Good stereo image. The room controls helped a great deal in my home space but were still a little on the big side, but translated way better than the 824s. I have since replaced them with JBL LSR305s after doing AB tests with MANY different monitors including Focal (several models), Neumann, ATC, Genelec, et al. For the price they were pretty close sonically to Focal CMS 65, which I really like a lot.

When I was working at LucasArts I used Meyer HD1s in my office and they are without question my favorites to mix on, but they are way too much, both physically and pricewise for my home space. I've also used Genelec 1031s which I also like and got used to. Don't like their die cast lines at all. I had 8040s and 8030 systems and never got a good translation with them.

I am getting excellent translation with the 305s but I intend to invest in the SE Electronic Munro Eggs ultimately. Guys I respect really like them and claim they are fairly room proof.

Agreed about using a reference mix for low end.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehttamllim View Post
Your best asset right now will and forever be your ears. Analyzers of that nature are great for momentary glances into your work, but your ears must be the final determining factor. Cross-referencing your mixes with your favorite recordings helps too. Regardless as to how your room is set up, when you listen to your mixes in that environment and up against your favorite recordings, it gives you a general idea of your progress. Also keep in mind that listening in multiple environments and on many mediums helps as well.

Work with what you have, adapt and improve. I wish you the best of luck!
Mmmm great advice.....thanks a lot, that really helps
Old 07-29-2014, 11:27 AM

Using your ears though means "try everything for 10 years and have confidence about the results after you have done the practice"