How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Hi Darryl

Just plugged in my 003 and started the install.

the 003 did have a yellow icon beside it ... I would have thought that pro tools would have installed the correct drives.

but it still has the yellow icon

I was think maybe it's the firewire driver ?

thanks for you help

Mike
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkie View Post
Hi Darryl

Just plugged in my 003 and started the install.

the 003 did have a yellow icon beside it ... I would have thought that pro tools would have installed the correct drives.

but it still has the yellow icon

I was think maybe it's the firewire driver ?

thanks for you help

Mike
No. Pro Tools 9/10 is not able to magically install drivers for hundreds of possible devices. This is now separate install step. You need to follow the directions for when to install the driver and when to connect the device.

It is probably a good idea to manually remove this incorrect driver that has now been installed by the Windows plug and pray drunken pixies, remove your 003 and then follow the proper install process.

Do yourself a favor and stop trying to stumble though this blind. Open up and follow the documented install instructions. And then after that make sure you also do all the recommended/documented systems optimizations.

Darryl
Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 PM

Hi Darryl

Thank you for the advice.

Did what you said. went and downloaded the drivers they installed fine.

started Pro tools 10.2 in Admin mode ... now I get this error

( Wish I could just say it worked fine. )

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer). disk cache size or engine voice count. I you got this error on launch , delete your prefs and try again ( -9514).

Why do they make this so difficult this should be the easy part !!!!!

Just to be clear when I installed it on my mac I didn't have to install any drivers. This is the only program I have on my pc that went I purchase all the equipment and the software from a manufacturer( Avid ). I now have to figure out what to do next. This adding drivers is so pre XP. Most programs since then, look at what the machine has and either upgrades or installs the required drivers ( at least the common ones ). This is standard practices. I think they are just taking the easy way out. But all they have done is frustrated the hell out of guys like me who just want to install it. The program is huge why wouldn't the install portion easy. They seems to spend all kinds of time telling you to go to this page on the web ... then that one down load this .... go here delete this folder ... I could understand if I didn't use Avid products ...

A frustrated Mike
Old 09-10-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkie View Post
Hi Darryl

Thank you for the advice.

Did what you said. went and downloaded the drivers they installed fine.

started Pro tools 10.2 in Admin mode ... now I get this error

( Wish I could just say it worked fine. )

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer). disk cache size or engine voice count. I you got this error on launch , delete your prefs and try again ( -9514).

Why do they make this so difficult this should be the easy part !!!!!

Just to be clear when I installed it on my mac I didn't have to install any drivers. This is the only program I have on my pc that went I purchase all the equipment and the software from a manufacturer( Avid ). I now have to figure out what to do next. This adding drivers is so pre XP. Most programs since then, look at what the machine has and either upgrades or installs the required drivers ( at least the common ones ). This is standard practices. I think they are just taking the easy way out. But all they have done is frustrated the hell out of guys like me who just want to install it. The program is huge why wouldn't the install portion easy. They seems to spend all kinds of time telling you to go to this page on the web ... then that one down load this .... go here delete this folder ... I could understand if I didn't use Avid products ...

A frustrated Mike
What exact install instructions are you now following? From what document, document version and starting on what page number? Have you done those steps from scratch?

The most common cause of this problem is not running as Administrator. Sounds like you are trying to run as administrator, it may be a different problem, and knowing *exactly* all the steps you have done is important.

And as I mentioned before you also need to do the optimizations for you system. In this case follow these Windows 7 instructions as much as possible. http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...oting/en349411 Did you do the Run as Administrator step exactly as described there?).

Did you also follow the standers troubleshooting instructions (see the Windows 7 troubleshooting instruction linked from the "help us help you..." link above to and delete the prefs (make sure you exit Pro Tools, delete the prefs as described, empty the recycle bin and restart Pro Tools).

When you install on a Mac you do have to add drivers first for Pro Tools 9 and later unless you just want to use the built-in IO. Avid is doing absolutely the right thing here there is no way they can bundle or rely on Windows plug and pray to correctly install device drivers for all third party interfaces, or even want to keep up to date with their own product family drivers on the install media. Doing it manually is an extra step but one what is more reliable for professional users who know what they are doing.

Darryl
Old 09-10-2012, 08:18 PM

Getting somewhere here. Just to confirm, someone here has it working on Windows 8?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
Getting somewhere here. Just to confirm, someone here has it working on Windows 8?
yes. it has been confirmed for quite a while that some have it going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0WlhRbKZqI

edit:
just realized you commented on this video, so you know it can be done....

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 09-11-2012, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
yes. it has been confirmed for quite a while that some have it going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0WlhRbKZqI

edit:
just realized you commented on this video, so you know it can be done....
Yeh I know it can be done in this 1 case, but I wanted to know if anyone else had it working. This 1 guy might be a programming wizard or know something about Pro Tools which I may not.

Like the guy Mikie above can't get it working I want to know whether it'll be a pain to get going. I realised Cubase Student Edition doesn't have the 4 years free updates like Pro Tools does and it's the same price, so back to square one
Old 09-13-2012, 03:33 PM

Anyone else?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 PM

Red face Re: Pro Tools 10 on Windows 8??

Hi Guys, I Have to share this, I Run PT 10 on Windows 8. Build 9200, Right Now I Have Installed PT 10.3.0, To Fix DAE error -13001. I Run PT as Administrator, but other thing happen with cache error. So I Installed PT 9.0.2, and PT Run Perfect, ( I Don't have installed any Virtual Instruments, and Plug Ins yet, (Other tan AVID, BUt This PT 10.3.0 Run Ok,).... PT Open and Sut Down Ok. without crash or any other stuff. Hope this Info work with you guys, (PD) I don't Uninstall PT 9.0.2.) both versión are Installed...!
Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 AM

So you're saying 10.3 works but only if 9 is installed?

Anyone else have any experiience?