Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Detach midi editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Have you tried right clicking on the MIDI region and selecting 'open in MIDI editor'? Works for me and it comes up in a separate floating window.
That's how I always open it. The problem is when I accidentally click down at the bottom of the Edit window and the $#$%!! docked MIDI window opens. I know how to close it, but after that it takes several attempts to get it to open as a separate window. Generally I have to close the session; sometimes I have to exit PT. Yesterday I rebooted to get it back to what I call normal.

Oh I how wish there were a preference to tell PT to never open a docked MIDI window.

Thanks for weighing in.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:47 AM

because this is the first thing that pops in google when you search this issue, and nobody has helped in any of the threads that you find, I thought I'd post even though the thread is quite old. click a midi region, hit "start + =" or "windows key + =" and that will open the real midi editor window. doing this will effectively change the behavior through the program so you can now just double click midi regions and it will open. if you click the small arrow on the bottom left that is pointing up, this will open the docked midi tab and change the behavior back to the dock for double clicking as well.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:03 PM

Thank you falcondoodle!

I just ran into the same issue (after accidentally open the bottom editor.) Windows+= does indeed bring it back to my preferred functionality.

Thanks for posting on an old thread!
Old 05-07-2020, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcondoodle View Post
because this is the first thing that pops in google when you search this issue, and nobody has helped in any of the threads that you find, I thought I'd post even though the thread is quite old. click a midi region, hit "start + =" or "windows key + =" and that will open the real midi editor window. doing this will effectively change the behavior through the program so you can now just double click midi regions and it will open. if you click the small arrow on the bottom left that is pointing up, this will open the docked midi tab and change the behavior back to the dock for double clicking as well.
THX Falcon !
Now after this "START + = " operation the midi editor window opens up in separate (un-docked) window again when I double-click .
Old 06-11-2020, 05:59 AM

The 'real' answer is to just make sure the edit pane (split) isn't selected as a target (Red square top right like plug-ins).

Likewise, if you WANT the lower edit pane back and have it focus on any track/clip you want to edit (I actually prefer this to a seperate window as I can still scroll around the project and don't need the main edit window large while working on MIDI - just drag the midi edit pane large instead which gives you all the benefits of a separate MIDI edit window without the clutter ) then make sure the red target square is active/lit in the MIDI edit pane!

Another trick is to set up 'E' (Zoom) to automatically zoom full screen on the midi track/clip, automatically change to notes (from clips), inline edit, hit E to return back to clips/zoomed out... (in prefs/editing/zoom toggle section)

In prefs/editing/zoom toggle section:

set vertical midi zoome/h zoom to "selection"
uncheck 'remove range selection after zoom in'
change track height to 'fit to window'
and change track view to 'waveform / notes'

enable 'zoome toggle follows edit selection'.

Now to edit midi CLIPS even from micro track height, select the clip or range, hit 'E' and you have a quick MIDI edit view on the track itself which is fine for most basic midi editing, and keeps things tidier. Hit E to toggle back to previous track height and for midi to be 'clips' instead of notes automatically!
Old 09-25-2023, 04:47 PM

Actually in the MIDI tab in prefs (now called settings) under the first section called Basics there is a drop menu for "Double-Clicking a MIDI Clip Opens" which has several options including "Docked MIDI Editor" as well as "MIDI Editor" which is pretty vague. The default entry is the docked one. This must be a new settings function because the behavior changed for me in 2023.6. I just decided to check today, stumbled on this thread then decided to check prefs to see if there was something in there and there was...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 4.46.16 PM.jpg (23.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-29-2023, 02:06 PM

Absolutely bonkers it takes consulting the Oracle of Delphi to figure this sh*t out but HERE IS THE ANSWER below (apologies if it's been stated, but I did not see this exact solution)

Desire:
When one double-clicks a MIDI region, we want the detached MIDI Editor, not the idiotic dock, to pop up.

Cause:
When you trash your PT preferences, as one has to do because of course we all do, f us RIGHT? you lose this detached MIDI editor preference that we all know & love.

SOLUTION:
Go to Setup menu in your Menu bar up top --> MIDI tab --> Now in bottom left find "Double-clicking a MIDI Clip Opens", and guess what you select....don't make me say it. Don't make me do it. I'll do it. It's right there. You got it big fella. I believe in you.

Now to figure out how to turn on MIDI Editor's "Tab To Transients" function. Because of course that's nowhere visible, and NOT connected to the very function we know & use in the main Edit Window.