Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 03-28-2023, 07:43 AM

Default Re: only when punching in, the track's playback is ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Assuming you are not running HDX, this might be due to plugin ADC. Start by setting MIX window to show Delay Compensation and check the numbers(especially the bottom of the 3 as that is the total Delay Compensation). If the numbers are more than 32(give or take), that will create a problem when you enter record, because the delay compensation is disabled on any track in record(which would put your new audio ahead of other audio that is delayed due to delay compensation).

Best practice for tracking(non-HDX) is to set the buffer to 64(assuming 44.1 or 48K) and disable any plugins that show more than 10 samples of latency. In the case of a large session with plugins that you really NEED to hear during an overdub, I would bounce a mix>Import into the session>nudge into perfect alignment>Make all tracks inactive(except the new bounced mix) and record overdubs to that. Once finished, mute the 2-mix and re-activate all tracks. LLM can SOMETIMES help, but it often either just doesn't work, or won't quite do what you want
hey y'all. is there any update on this bug? it's still an issue for me. i get that it kind of goes away if you lower the buffer but some of us have a lot of VI's we aren't quite ready to commit and the hassle of waiting to freeze tracks when a singer is on the mic and ready to sing really shuts down the flow. seems like the best option is to have a feature that allows those of us using LLM in conjunction with low latency monitoring devices (like apollo) to simply let the playback audio of a record enabled track stay 'delay compensated'.
Nashville, TN
www.fabmusic.com
Old 01-16-2024, 12:26 PM

I got this problem too now. Never experienced it before. When I’m using punch in and the track is record enabled.. the already recorded audio is in head of everything else.
I’ve been using Pro Tools with UAD Apollo for over 10 years and never experienced this before. Low latency monitoring on because I listen thru Apollo Console. Plugin compensation is on..
Old 01-16-2024, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
I got this problem too now. Never experienced it before. When I’m using punch in and the track is record enabled.. the already recorded audio is in head of everything else.
I’ve been using Pro Tools with UAD Apollo for over 10 years and never experienced this before. Low latency monitoring on because I listen thru Apollo Console. Plugin compensation is on..
Did you recently change Pro Tools versions?

I'm not following this one closely, but there are a bunch of latency bugs in Pro Tools that need work that I am following, but be careful it's really a bug/the same bug you are seeing, some suggestions...

Turn off ignore errors if it happens to be on. Always leave that off. There are some latency issues when that is on.

Do you have high-latency UAD plugins anywhere in the Apollo Console?

What HW buffer size are you working at? Out of curiosity what happens as you make this much smaller?

What happens when you use software monitoring?

Do you have any hardware inserts in use in this signal path?

Try unchecking "allow sends to persist during LLM" if that is checked (esp. for large--i.e. multiple of 1024 sample offsets).

If you have time, can you measure the latency here, try to be sample accurate, i.e. send an analog click signal though the path and measure the offset in the time in samples (and what is the sample rate). Sometimes an accurate latency measurement gives a clue to the source.
Old 01-16-2024, 01:12 PM

Default only when punching in, the track's playback is ahead?

I’m on latest version on Mac. I did a quick test now. I made a click track. Then I record it to an audio track. Then I armed the track for recording without any plugins in the audio track. Punch record active. Now everything is ok. Then I add a plugin into the track. And the way this is supposed to work then is that the plugin automatic get bypassed when record enabled. It gets bypassed but now the original click track gets compensated for the same amount as when the plugin is active
From what I see in the pictures. The original click track is delayed 6263sampels when audio track is armed, and the audio track has no delay. So it sounds like it’s ahead a lot. Same thing happens with different plugins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And

Last edited by thewiz; 01-16-2024 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:01 PM

This must be a bug!! If I enable Allow sends to presist the problem is gone

Old 01-16-2024, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewiz View Post
This must be a bug!! If I enable Allow sends to presist the problem is gone

You mean when you *disable* (uncheck) allow sends to persist? And this is introducing a large error (like few x 1024 samples.. so your large offset could be in that range...)?... if so it's all related to some other bugs, including one I have open. Avid likely broke stuff when they implemented "allow sends to persist" and still have not fixed it. Too many things get broken in Pro Tools when adding new features, I suspect a sign of so many experienced developers no longer begin there. It's way beyond time that a bunch of latency and ADC bugs in Pro Tools needed fixing.

Can you get by with sends disabled? If so that's a nice work around.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You mean when you *disable* (uncheck) allow sends to persist? And this is introducing a large error (like few x 1024 samples.. so your large offset could be in that range...)?... if so it's all related to some other bugs, including one I have open. Avid likely broke stuff when they implemented "allow sends to persist" and still have not fixed it. Too many things get broken in Pro Tools when adding new features, I suspect a sign of so many experienced developers no longer begin there.

Can you get by with sends disabled? If so that's a nice work around.

If I enable Allow Sends with Low Latecy it works like it’s supposed to. But if I’d like to use a reverb then it needs to be a low latency one.. not UAD

Old 01-16-2024, 03:31 PM

OK great you got it to work for you, but I'm completely lost about what is happening here.
Old 01-18-2024, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK great you got it to work for you, but I'm completely lost about what is happening here.

When the enable sends are off.. and you arm the track for record.. it bypasses all the plugins but all other track are still delayed like the pluggins are active.
On the track you arm it’s not compensated. This makes the prerecorded stuff on that track sound ahead before you punch in. Must be a bug.