How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-21-2012, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Dual monitors issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
The real issue might be that the PC platform has always been Avid's second choice, and many of the "niceties" of the Mac platform are simply overlooked or not considered important. Or it could be because they use a common code base, and the windows version of their library is lacking key features. Or the final plausible explanation is that their Windows programmers simply aren't as good as the Mac programmers. Whatever the reason, they don't do it.
Let me first say that I feel your pain and understand your frustration.

But I gotta disagree with your theory. True, Avid is all about Mac when it comes to ads and videos and major installations.

However, I believe Avid sells more PT Native on the Windows side than on the Mac side. A lot more, if I'm not mistaken. If anything, Avid seems to be catering to the PC side as a smart business decision now that PCs have become so powerful and Apple is balking at long-term commitment to its desktop line.

I definitely agree that that there should be more flexibility with how PT manages multiple monitors on the Windows side.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 PM

Hi Blissful,

I can believe that PC sales of PT are greater than Mac. But long before Avid bought Digidesign there was a deep and powerful connection between their company and Apple. It's probably not an overstatement to say that way back during times when Apple's market share was dwindling Digi's loyalty to the platform helped keep the Mac alive. There is a long history there. Years ago I talked to a few people from Digi, and Mac culture was still pervasive. Yes, they supported the PC, but many in the company still considered the Mac "better". Maybe that's all gone away, because that was a long time ago. But history would suggest that while the PC is supported, the Mac is still preferred by many internally.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM

I'm sure you are right about the platform [Mac] that Avid employees prefer for their own machines. That doesn't mean they would be unprofessional when it comes to catering to the increasing amount of PC users they actually need to court these days.

As a newb, I've used PT email support three times in the past few weeks, and if they didn't answer the questions immediately, they pointed me in directions where I could put two and two together and figure the rest out.

So, despite what some suggest, as a new user, I don't feel I'm left high and dry.

Plus, it gets harder to be down on a platform when every single component Apple uses nowadays is interchangeable with a PC.

But I should ask: what "niceties" exactly were you talking about that are missing on the Windows side, beside the dual monitors implementation? Not that I'm gonna run out and buy a Mac Pro after putting all this time into a working PC!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
. It's probably not an overstatement to say that way back during times when Apple's market share was dwindling Digi's loyalty to the platform helped keep the Mac alive.
I really doubt that - it was probably microsoft's money that kept Mac alive !!! It's on utube check out the videos - remember when Mac's were shipping with Internet explorer????

digi probably never had the kind of money that Microsoft fed to apple - just saying
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
I would anticipate it being "fixed" in PT 11...
HA!!!!

Can I use this in my signature line????

Old 02-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Quote:
. Or it could be because they use a common code base. Or the final plausible explanation is that their Windows programmers simply aren't as good as the Mac programmers. Whatever the reason, they don't do it.
I would guess unix/msdos differences to recode every little item would be quite the undertaking - probably akin to two different programs (under the hood- anyway)

Old 02-23-2012, 09:01 AM

I would anticipate it being "fixed" in PT 11...

HA!!!!

Can I use this in my signature line????

Bill sez...Knock yerself out...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh

Last edited by Bill Denton; 02-23-2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added stuff
Old 02-23-2012, 02:01 PM

Blissful: What other niceties are lacking on the PC side?

The ASIO support on the PC is bad. Really, really bad. The worst ASIO implementation of any PC application that I have ever seen.

And then there's multi-monitor support. Those are two huge issues to me, since I use multiple monitors and ASIO. When it works, I like PT a lot. It surprises me how much I like it because I used to like Samplitude so much I thought nothing would compare. And I can work around the multi-monitor issue by extending the main window across both monitors, and so it's workable. But the ASIO issues cause me grief every single day.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Dean, unless I've missed it, you haven't mentioned what interface you are using. Why isn't the company that wrote the Asio drivers for your interface a potential suspect?
Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM

The ASIO drivers aren't a suspect because they work with every app I've used them with, and that's a lot of apps. And I've had the same problems with two different interfaces.