How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-06-2012, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Dual monitors issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw rec View Post
You only have to set it up once, though, then as they said, close with alt-f4. My windows AlWAYS open exactly where I left them.
True, and I think its an issue with Windows and not Pro Tools(but I could be mistaken).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-06-2012, 05:22 PM

It is the result of an Avid/Digidesign design decision, probably made before multiple monitors were in wide usage.

I would anticipate it being "fixed" in PT 11...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-06-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
True, and I think its an issue with Windows and not Pro Tools(but I could be mistaken).
I believe you are correct. Adobe products work sort of the same way for Windows but not on Mac (having a back container window)

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Denton View Post
It is the result of an Avid/Digidesign design decision, probably made before multiple monitors were in wide usage.

I would anticipate it being "fixed" in PT 11...
Ummm...it's obviously a Windows issue, seeing as it's not an issue at all on a Mac.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
Ummm...it's obviously a Windows issue, seeing as it's not an issue at all on a Mac.
Nope...

Remember that you can drag a plugin window outside of the "main" window in Windows. And if you're using IE 9, you can drag a tab out of the browser window and it will become a separate browser window.

It's simply a choice made by Avid's system designers, probably a number of years ago...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 02-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
No, you're not mistaken at all.
It is an issue with Windows.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
wow, so is PT the O/S, or is Windows? Gotta love the PT homers on this forum.

btw, I have dual monitors that aren't the same size, so it's very difficult to drag a window across the monitors and have it display in such a way that works for me.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:53 AM

Yes, it's a PT design choice. In Reason, I can undock the mixer and move it outside the parent window. If it's possible in Reason, it should be possible in PT.
Vegas allows the same thing with the preview window being undockable too.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:26 PM

No, it is definitely not a Windows issue. It is an Avid design decision. Samplitude, for example, allows one to drag the mixer over to a second monitor with no problem whatsoever. In fact, I wish Avid would take a cue from them.

The real issue might be that the PC platform has always been Avid's second choice, and many of the "niceties" of the Mac platform are simply overlooked or not considered important. Or it could be because they use a common code base, and the windows version of their library is lacking key features. Or the final plausible explanation is that their Windows programmers simply aren't as good as the Mac programmers. Whatever the reason, they don't do it.

But it's not only possible to put the mixer window on a second monitor, it's a very cool way to work.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Nonsense. Samplitude does it, Reason does it, and several other apps as well. Nothing about the Windows platform forces an app to work the way PT works. It's great to work with the mixer on a separate monitor, and I hope PT allows it some day.