Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 11-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Default M-Audio Oxygen??

I've got an old M-Audio Oxygen 49 midi controller.

I just happened on a youtube video & saw a guy, with a newer "blue" Oxygen 49, using the buttons & faders to control protools channel strips, the faders, the mute, solo, & record enable buttons.

According to what little bit of googling I've done, it appears there's a special program built into the blue controllers that work with the directlink drivers built into pro tools that allow this to work automatically.

Is there a way I can program these buttons on my controller to do the same thing? I'm not so much worried about the faders as I am the mute, solo, record enable, toggle metronome, toggle loop playback & toggle loop record.

I'd really like that functionality & if I can't program my controller to do it, what are my options? I've seen the MC Transport ( I like it, but don't know if it's any different than grabbing a mouse), I've seen the Axiom Pro Keyboards, I know I could just buy a "blue" Oxygen... do you know of other alternatives?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:51 PM

Default Re: M-Audio Oxygen??

You'd need to program it to emulate a supported controller. There used to be more choices, back in the day when the Jlcooper CS10 was still supported I programmed quite a few controllers to emulate the cs10. I think all you have now is the hui protocol, not sure which CCs it uses, you'd have to do some research.

P.s. A relatively easy thing to start with is the transport controls. Enable MMC in pro tools, and program the transport buttons to use MMC protocol. Look in the axiom manual for the specs.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 12-05-2013, 10:49 PM

M-Audio call their technology that controls functions in protools - "hypercontrol"

I have your same issue with my axiom 2nd generation controller keyboard .

Ive emailed M-Audio about it not working in later versions of protools 10 , let alone version 11 , and they replied that they will be updating the drivers soon to add hypecontrol to these protools versions ??????

By the end of the year they hoped but wouldnt commit to any actual dates ...., ...., they better hurry up the years almost out
Old 12-06-2013, 10:52 AM

Just to clear up any confusion, the OP's pictured keyboard is an older "Oxygen" model and does not support the newer hypercontrol protcol. The only way to control pro tools with an older oxygen keyboard is to program it to output the same MIDI CC's as a supported controller like a Mackie HUI uses. If you are using an older version of pro tools, there are other controllers like a CS-10 that it can be programmed to emulate. (See the old digidesign MIDI controllers guide for a complete list of CC's that the CS-10 used).

It's also noteworthy that there are 2 recent M-audio protocols for controlling pro tools: Hypercontrol and Directlink. iirc, Directlink is what the Gen1 Axiom (Black) keyboards used, and Hypercontrol is what the gen2 Axiom Pro (Silver) Keyboards use.

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?