Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2012, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Anyone got a Kemper?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I would be nice if there was someone or some organization that would professionally profile some of the most sought after amps in the world or profiles of famous guitarist's rigs and place them into the library. To me this would be more useful than a whole bunch of less than usable profiles made in a bedroom or garage using cheap mics. I'm not trying to put anybody down but I think you get my point about getting quality profiles. This is a similar concept to quality sample libraries.

It is good to know that there are plans to allow people to share profiles however.

As for profiling from music videos or solo's from digital media. How does that work? It would seem ideally to profile properly, you need to capture the unchanged source (input) and the altered sound (output) of an amplifier to provide the necessary information to create an accurate profile that models the way an amplifier affects the source sound into the amp'd sound. Maybe I'm not familiar with how the profiling works so forgive me since this a new technology.

Now if somebody can write a converter that will allow the Eleven Rack to use the Kemper profiles as a model, that will be really cool. Before everyone jumps on me about copyright infringement issues, I liken this to the times when a Roland sampler can read an Akai sample disc or Kontakt can import sample libraries from other manufacturers. I know this sounds far-fetched but again, wouldn't it be cool?
i will have some boogie mark V ones as soon as i get ahold of one, as well as a couple of other cool amps!!

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-02-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
It is good to know that there are plans to allow people to share profiles however.
Indeed. It's critical to the success of the unit.

Trading profiles is literally as simple as loading them onto a USB stick and jamming that into the back of the Kemper. The profiles are apparently very small files. Rumor is you can store nearly 1000 profiles on the unit itself.

ANY computer that can format/read/write a USB stick can be used to backup and update patches on the Kemper.

That's smart. That's easy. That's customer friendly in a way no other modeler has been.

An organized library of patches/rigs/profiles/whatever is key. A voting system would be nice to assist people in finding the good stuff. The Kemper community is already making this known on the Kemper forum.

I have one on pre-order.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Indeed. It's critical to the success of the unit.

Trading profiles is literally as simple as loading them onto a USB stick and jamming that into the back of the Kemper. The profiles are apparently very small files. Rumor is you can store nearly 1000 profiles on the unit itself.

ANY computer that can format/read/write a USB stick can be used to backup and update patches on the Kemper.

That's smart. That's easy. That's customer friendly in a way no other modeler has been.

An organized library of patches/rigs/profiles/whatever is key. A voting system would be nice to assist people in finding the good stuff. The Kemper community is already making this known on the Kemper forum.

I have one on pre-order.
the kemper also has a lan port as well as the usb!

where do you have it on pre order from?? i need to track a place down.

edit: just checked, sweetwater is taking pre orders for it.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 PM

FYI, Sweetwater has been taking those pre-orders for about 2 months now.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
FYI, Sweetwater has been taking those pre-orders for about 2 months now.
gotcha, i had not looked before.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i did talk to him (kemper) about profiling say the 11r, amplitube or anything like that. he said a lot of sims use weird things in their algorithms like compression to achieve their sound. they do not profile well at all. i asked specifically about eleven and he said it profiles really bad.
If that's true, it raises some questions (at least for me) about the profiling algorithm. Such as:

1) What assumptions does the profiler make about the amp being profiled?

2) Are there other kinds of amps that profile poorly?

I dunno... Seems to me that if you're going to have an algorithm that captures and (upon playback) interprets transfer functions over a wide dynamic range, then it ought to be able to handle a reasonably wide range of dynamic behaviors...
Old 02-02-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieDyedDevil View Post
If that's true, it raises some questions (at least for me) about the profiling algorithm. Such as:

1) What assumptions does the profiler make about the amp being profiled?

2) Are there other kinds of amps that profile poorly?

I dunno... Seems to me that if you're going to have an algorithm that captures and (upon playback) interprets transfer functions over a wide dynamic range, then it ought to be able to handle a reasonably wide range of dynamic behaviors...
i believe it has to do with the test tones that the kemper sends to the head (or interface in this situation) and how the modelers deal with those test tones. he says their are lots of things going on with the coding of the amp simulators and what they add in the code to get the simulation (such as compression in his example) that does not play well w the test tones. he said its issues that "real" amps dont deal with. then he made a good point of why you would want to profile a sim when you either have or can find a profile of the desired amp.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-03-2012, 08:54 AM

I agree. What's the point with doing the 11R etc... I watched a lot of demos on youtube and it was spot on. However, I just watched a recent upload by tonymckenziecom and I could hear the difference every time between them. Don't know if it had to do with his technique for profiling but it was disappointing even though he loved it. I have to believe he did something wrong since I've seen a number of session guitarists that couldn't tell the difference! I would think there is going to be an arsenal full of profiles one can download once the Kemper really starts getting distributed in the US etc...
Old 02-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorcerer27 View Post
However, I just watched a recent upload by tonymckenziecom and I could hear the difference every time between them. Don't know if it had to do with his technique for profiling but it was disappointing even though he loved it.
Were you disappointed because there was a difference or because you thought it sounded bad?
I too could hear the difference, but would it really matter? It was pretty darn close...

I actually think they might have messed up the profiling a bit, just a feeling I got when they did the fine-tuning.

It would be interesting though to hear a really good recording between the original amp and the profile. I can definitely live with small differences as long as it sounds really good.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 AM

Check some tones out here....unreal.

http://soundcloud.com/groups/kemper-...-of-the-people

MikeM
Eleven Rack PTLE 8.05
Logic pro 8