Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-12-2007, 05:58 AM

Default Re: Allenstein OctaPC and Quadzilla Machine *update*

Wow, $500? That's, like, $500 an hour! What a racket! I've worked as a computer tech for years, and that price just boggles my mind. You think I'd be recording bands for a living if I could still be putting computers together for more than $500 AN HOUR?

I keep in touch with Shane about issues, potential issues, potential upgrades, add-ons, etc. for the Quad. Many other Quad users do the same. We all do this because we want to help the community. Because many of us have struggled for years to find a DAW system that works without any issues. Almost all of us have been there. Botched workflow, cancelled sessions, stifled creativity. The gang here is working constantly behind the scenes to this day running memory tests, discussing findings when doing re-formats, performance boosts, etc.

What I'm getting at is that all of this takes a lot of time and effort, which many of us are happy to provide for the good of the community. For somebody to make exhorbatant personal profit from all of this (without even attempting to clear it with anybody here) is unethical and downright insulting.

Hopefully this can be resolved and this thread can continue to evolve as a staple of group effort and community.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:25 AM

It would appear you are missing the point of Shane's post. I see you posted on the C2D thread listing out your specs for a Intel Quad with a "time stamp" to prove you came up with the specs? To me that says you must think it bogus that anyone is pi$$ed at you for selling, and at a stupidly high price I might add, what people here have spent countless hours and dollars of their own time and money on and given away freely. Don't get me wrong, America is a capitalistic country, and you can charge whatever the market will bare. But, the DUC is a place where help is usually given willingly without the expectation of anything in return. I think it's important that this post stay here and be discussed so no one here gets duped into buying one of your overpriced and untested OSless rigs. It's a huge slap in the face to take someone else's work from here and make a profit off of it. Especially without giving credit where credit is do. You aren't the first though. Probably not the last either. This all sure smacks of Averil Levigne's "Girlfriend".

And seriously, NO OS OR AUDIO DRIVE?!?!?! You could include both and still be making a $250 or better profit!!!

Shane, Matt and many others have given a lot to perfect this machine and lost a lot too. Like Shane learning the hard way that there was a previous problem with the on-board firewire that could fry your system and devices connected to the firewire port in question. I can't remember how long, but I know he lost days, if not weeks, of work because of that. But other DUC Quaders spent time at his studio and on the phone trying to get him back up and running. So far as I know, the problem got sorted out though, and people here were more than willing to help him for NO CHARGE!

I expect a place like Sw**tw*ter to charge and arm and a leg for a DAW. But at least they support their product.

My feeling on it all? Bad form!
Old 07-12-2007, 08:41 AM

Although I haven't posted much lately (everything works perfectly!), I am astounded at the balls that this guy has in offering to sell our collective work as his own. Unfortunately, there is no way to protect the PT user who isn't familiar with this thread. May I suggest that Digidesign might consider posting a caveat about the guy's website warning that the information he is selling is freely available in the DUC. Moreover, there might be an intellectual property issue in that this guy is presenting his product as his own work (the legal justification for charging for his services). I'd say there are sufficient grounds to bring a cease and desist order on this guy's websites. Certainly theft of intellectual property has occurred. I may not have emailed anyone directly but let me once and for all declare my undying gratitude to ALL of the QUAD pioneers who spent their time and money to bring us all a better system. That's always been my reason for offering to help any newbies with their builds. I recall how much others helped me and I'm happy to pay it forward. Its a yin-yang thing
Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM

Time Stamp?

I have had Core 2 Specs up for a week. All tested, All working.

I Put them up on the fourth of July.

Just click the link below.

If you check with Mykhal C you will find I have way over 2 months of research into that little page and I started with this end in mind when I started tabulating Dverb test results.

I felt the Core 2 systems and builders deserved some recognition and Allen Hallada had not updated the" Best Desktop's" thread in about a year.

The other reason I put a tremendous amount of time into this was A) I admired this Quad thread and Shane and MattP's hard work on the Quads and B) I wanted to provide a set of specs that would work for anyone that DID want to build a Intel based machine.

Much like this thread the Core 2 thread IS a celebration of championing the unknown and the sense of community it inspires.

auxsend can build what he wants. He can charge what he wants.

But if your going to SELL it you need to be able to fully support it.

But give credit where credit is due- the guys that spent their money on a hunch, and built and tested these rigs.

Rant off

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 07-12-2007, 11:28 AM

DUC members:

I realize that because this is a public forum it is necessary for me to make a public response. I have emailed Shane and Matt P directly, and would like to address the entire Quad community here. There are a few things I would like to discuss, and if anyone has specific questions or concerns I am open to that as well.

First, I want to apologize to Shane, Matt P, and others on this thread who feel that I have stolen their work. While I do not view it as such, I certainly understand and respect their viewpoint on the matter. You guys have, and continue to provide a tremendous service to the DUC community. It was never my intent to steal your work. I understand that hundreds, if not thousands of man-hours went into the previous and current spec., and as such this is a very personal issue.

A few things I would like to clear up.

1. My Quad spec. shares in common with the first post exactly 2 parts:
The motherboard (Tyan S2927)
The processors (Opteron 2212)

2. The reason I offered systems with audio drives as optional is because many users have drives they're already using to swap in, and/or use Firewire drives for audio. In retrospect, making an audio drive standard would have been the better way.

3. The primary reason for not including the OS was because I thought many would already have a copy of XP Pro they would like to transfer. Also, the imminent release of Pro Tools for Vista was a consideration. Again, in retrospect, including the OS would have been the better way.

4. I posted an upcoming spec. in the Core 2 thread because I want to avoid any potential confusion later on about where I obtained that spec. I picked those parts specifically, but I do not claim the spec. as my own (a simple computer parts list does not qualify as intellectual property). If my spec. works well, I welcome anyone to build the same or similar, and I would not take offense at all if someone decided to offer the same spec. for sale.

That being said, I would like to offer the following:

Guys, I messed up. I apologize, and humbly ask for your forgiveness. I have made the decision to no longer build systems based off the Quadzilla spec, but before I do, I would like to make a sort of "peace offering" to the Quad community. 5 systems will be made available to any existing DUC member at essentially cost. These systems will include 2 hard drives and a full Windows XP Pro OEM installed and fully supported (the way I should have done from the beginning). The site has been updated to reflect this. I love the DUC, and I have enjoyed my time on the Quad thread. I hope that we can move beyond this and continue this amazing thread.

Best regards,
Old 07-12-2007, 06:29 PM

Quote:
a simple computer parts list does not qualify as intellectual property
So then why are you feeling so guilty?

filosofem
Old 07-13-2007, 05:19 AM

Quick question, after reading some of the core duo thread i ran across somebody that used cpu-z to identify bottlenecks due to ram not being utilized properly. I downloaded the app and ran it on my quad and it showed my pc2-5300 ram running at 333.(something, can't remember right now). I find this odd because on the bios splash screen it reports the ram running at 667.

So, is the app reporting 333 per channel or do i have my ram in the wrong spots? if you are looking at the mobo i have two sticks per processor in the two slots closest to the processors.

Thanks,
Derek
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 07-13-2007, 09:09 AM

You're ok on the ram. If CPU-Z is showing 333, your ram is running at 667, kind of.

I don't completely understand why it works that way. I'm sure someone will pipe up that knows. But my understanding is this with DDR ram. DDR is "double density ram". It's essentially running at 333, but sending twice the information. So you're moving as much info as memory would be actully clocked at 667. Hence the term "333mhz, 667 effective".
Old 07-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Vocalvoodoo,

Thanks for the help. I thought it was correct but had to check.

Derek
Zalman 9900 LED
Readeon HD 4650
6 tb storage
WIN 7 x64 Ult
PT9
002 Console, 11R, Profire 2626, Jamlab
MPT2(wtf?)
HP DV7-3188cl
i5
320g 7200rpm hd X2
Siig xpress 1394
6 gig ram
(disabled g105 and acpi
Old 07-13-2007, 11:06 AM

WOW!!! i had no idea what was happenin' in this thread when you posted in the CORE 2 thread about postin' your specs with a 'stamp-time'. what i will HUMBLY ask is that IF your specs that you listed in the CORE 2 thread HAVE NOT been tested, then as a courtesy to others that are relyin' on the thread to have 'some proven' results, that you remove your specs. or at the 'very' minimum place an asterisk explainin' your build HAS NOT been tested yet. i did reply to your post and ask that you post your DVERB results in the SPECS thread and to date, i do not think this has been done!!??!!

like SHANE, MATT P, and the many others that have contributed to the QUADZILLA build and it's solidness for runnin' PT, SUNBURST has also put a lot of sweat and time into updatin', trouble-shootin' specs, postin' in the CORE 2 thread and the creation of the CORE 2 SPECS thread all for the benefit of those, like me , that are lookin' to build an INTEL machine or just lookin' for choices and alternatives in their PT machine search. and i want to recognize ALL THE CATS in the CORE2 thread that have posted their build specs and results. like the QUADZILLA pioneers these cats are doin' the same. so again, i ask that you pls post your results or handle as i have asked

and to close, we ALL have messed up in life!! PERIOD!!! i appreciate you acknowledgin' it and for issuin' YOUR APOLOGY to the QUADZILLA cats. they DO/DID have every right to be upset, IMHO. but hopefully they do accept your apology and we all can just get back to the business of helpin' each other maximize our PT platforms!!!

EDIT: auxsend1, thanks for postin' your P35 build results in the CORE2 thread

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff