Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 12-19-2019, 08:12 PM

Default MIDI timing issues – 2019.12?

Since upgrading to 2019.12 a couple of sessions I was working on have weird timing with the TAL U-No plugin (which admittedly could be unrelated to the Pro Tools upgrade, as it's often had a mind of its own as to whether it plays in time or not, particularly with the arpeggiator). Committing fixes it, so that's a workaround. Anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Re: MIDI timing issues – 2019.12?

I'm seeing (well, hearing) this with other VIs too... anyone else? Shouldn't have upgraded mid-project
Old 12-19-2019, 09:16 PM

Hmm. May not be related to the upgrade as loading a backup session restores the timing. Must have been something else: I shall report back.

Edit: I don't know what's going on here. It's probably not Pro Tools, as click (instrument vs committed) nulls. But with a couple of plugins (U-No, Kontakt) it's sounding flammy against the click and audio. They don't null vs committed but I'm not sure if that's not because there's some randomness in the sound. (Unfortunately a history of MIDI timing issues in Pro Tools has shaken my confidence somewhat!) I will see if there is a simple way to create a reproducible test case.

Last edited by LukeHoward; 12-19-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:40 PM

Hi,
The first time I noticed this was with all the east west libraries. Every single one of them would play 1024 samples out of time. The issue is related to pro tool's hybrid buffer that puts all tracks that are NOT record armed, at a buffer of 1024. Correctly coded AAX plugins do not suffer this issue and to be honest, there was only one other one I ever experienced it with a few years back and I can't remember what it was. With "PLAY", East West acknowledged it, never fixed it, therefore it was useless to compose with in real time so I cancelled the sub. In Logic it was flawless on playback but I was using PT the most at the time.

I just wonder if it's somehow related and those VI's have some issues in AAX format due to PT's hybrid playback engine. My experience with all VI devs is that things like this never get fixed even if they are confirmed, so it's just something one has to live with (or vote with your wallet). But if you are saying Kontakt worked perfectly prior to 2019.12, well then, that part is confusing.

If it happens with any other instruments , try a quick "drag midi to audio track" and see if the rendered audio is perfectly on time.

With Kontakt, I will test for myself when I get my KU installed this weekend, and let you know if it happens here too.

Edit, i just read your other post that committing fixes it for you too, so it seems like we are looking at the same issue that haunted Play.

I am going to test all my NI stuff this weekend and write a letter to NI for the ones that can't play back in time. It's pretty pathetic, when AAX is an exclusive format for one DAW in the world only, you would think they do simple tests like listening to midi triggering their synth in realtime.

But just to clarify one last thing, it's not PT, only the plugin dev can code a fix. This is why 95% work perfectly and big brand name ones that churn stuff out are the ones usually affected. Their priority is to release new products rather than fix bugs.

PPS.. try the AU or VST in BLUE CAT Patchwork, which I believe will allow you to use them in realtime IN time, as patchwork is a well crafted AAX.