Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Default Apple Mainstage 3

Having watched the Pro Tools Expert video on using Mainstage to host AU VIs in Pro Tools using Soundflower, a couple of Mainstage questions/thoughts:

* It appears that one gets all the Logic VIs with Mainstage - is this the case? My understanding is that Logic's standard instruments are one of its strengths, so this looks like pretty good value to supplement our AAX instruments

* Assuming that AIR do release an AU version of IEP (Apple already list AIR as a producer of compatible plugins), and assuming that we would get this included with the AAX version most of us here would normally get, I take it Mainstage could be used to host IEP VIs (e.g. Velvet) in a live scenario
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM

Default Re: Apple Mainstage 3

Yes to both questions.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:41 PM

+1 Yep, AIR being untethered from PT-only (w/ the exception of contractual obligs for Creative Collection) allows them to support other host plug formats including AU 64bit.

It's amazing how much updated content Apple throws at LPX/Mainstage when you look at what you get w/ Creative Collection in PT Native for $599. You're spending an additional $199 for upcoming AIR IEP AAX64 (or $99 for upgrade), or buying NI Komplete (not even AAX64 yet) for more $$, only to get some parity w/ LPX stock content. So that makes snagging Mainstage 3 for all those VIs @ $30 attractive for Mac DAW users. Just extra brushes for the pallette -- toss Soundflower at it and make some fun VI noises in PT11 until AIR releases IEP.

Avid's emphasis for out-of-box stand-alone composition is minimal nowadays, since mixing/tracking workflow is PT's real bread and butter. Most PT VI users have likely long-ago branched out to 3rd party VI favorites anyway. I love mixing in PT Native, but for $599 I do wish they would unchain a few tiny things like per track input monitoring control (since CPTK is gone, this is an HD-only feature again, among other things). LPX is a loss-leader for Apple, and not a core cash cow like PT is for Avid -- but such small moves like input monitoring wouldn't devalue HD, imho.

But back on MainStage - I remember going to a Moody Blues show a couple years back and having sucky seats off at the side near their hired touring keyboard guy. He was right in front of me and I could see his Macbook Pro running MainStage 2 patches for each song on the SetList. Saw the same thing @ a Foster the People concert (hey the HOB tixx were free - lol). So I guess for live Mac performers, MainStage 3 and those VIs are a no-brainer regardless of what DAW you prefer.

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:00 PM

Hello. Not to be assuming but.
Does MainStage3 come with any sounds?
I imagine it needs Logic X. The optional 35Gb download in logic is no charge (Not an in-app purchase)?

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:59 PM

MS3 includes ALL the same content LPX does. No in-app purchases, just in-app download of the 35gb (multiple VIs, loops, etc.). All included for $30... :)

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."

Last edited by kaiserpathos; 07-22-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:22 PM

Mainstage Rocks. Very versatile keyboard set up for the price you pay.