Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2014, 05:28 AM

Default Before I Start - Advice!

In the next week I'll be setting up my new home studio and need some advice before I get started. Here's what I'll be putting together; Pro Tools m-powered 8.0 (I've had it sitting in a box for a while), Mackie 1220i (firewire), laptop with Windows 7, and an Ampeg Plug in from IK Multimedia. Anyone with advice on what to install first, what to look for, etc, would be much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 AM

Default Re: Before I Start - Advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniedawg View Post
In the next week I'll be setting up my new home studio and need some advice before I get started. Here's what I'll be putting together; Pro Tools m-powered 8.0 (I've had it sitting in a box for a while), Mackie 1220i (firewire), laptop with Windows 7, and an Ampeg Plug in from IK Multimedia. Anyone with advice on what to install first, what to look for, etc, would be much appreciated.
Hi,

You'll need to download the m powered specific driver for the 1220i. I think it was an optional purchase so make sure you have this option otherwise m powered won't see it as an interface.

Install m powered first, then the driver mentioned above. Then test to make sure PT boots up and works. Then install the Ampeg plugin.

The Ampeg has been replaced and us now with amplitude but the original Ampeg installers are still on their website so you might have to look for it.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 AM

Not to sound rude or anything but I have seen plenty of posts similar to yours. Where someone has absolutely no idea how to set up and interface and all the software. I recommend that you stop and educate yourself. There's lots of great places to find information about setting up hardware and software. If you don't know how to even setup your equipment you are no where near ready to use Pro Tools.

Here's some places where you can learn more:

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/
youtube.com
google.com
avid.com

Again, not trying to be rude but if you educate yourself you will save yourself a lot of headache. Hope this helps.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:26 AM

Also, double check that M-Powered works with Windows 7. All the references I see mention Windows XP.

As for the Ampeg pack, you want to download and install Amplitube 3 Free, which serves as the host for running all Amplitube plugins. You don't need to install the Ampeg pack if you've registered it. You install the Custom Shop application, then click "Restore My Gear". From then on you can use it in Amplitube 3 (which is the plugin you will be selecting).
Old 01-28-2014, 08:08 AM

Thanks guys, I am waiting on the Mackie since its on back order so I have time to wait and ask questions. Basically, I was looking for "what to watch out for" info. I do appreciate all the replies. I asked about Windows 7 and since its a newer version than XP, it'll be fine - Avid should have used the term "or newer" in the line for version 8 of pro tools list. More so, was looking for info on the Ampeg plug in....and chain of events, very helpful, thanks. SteveCaboose, you're not being rude and thanks for the link too, the site is amazing.

Just want to ensure I do everything right when I put this all together. Just heard about some problems with the mackie/onyx boards - mostly user errors that caused problems, not the product. The more I read the more I get freaked out.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:30 AM

Major problems here. M-Powered Pro Tools only works with M-Audio interfaces(and you need 8.0.5 to run on Windows 7). To use the Mackie with Pro Tools, you need regular Pro Tools(not M-Powered) and version 9 or later You might consider saving some cash(not to mention some sanity) and try using REAPER on your computer(which SHOULD work with the Mackie). Most any DAW software these days, will get the job done, but some combinations just don't work.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2014, 02:04 PM

Regarding M-Powered, I was under the impression that Mackie had made some of their stuff work with it. That's why I didn't say anything at first. But maybe that's not the case anymore.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronniedawg View Post
Basically, I was looking for "what to watch out for" info.
The number one key thing is to make your sure your computer is completely compatible with Pro Tools. If it doesn't meet the system requirements, it won't function properly:
Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 01-28-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Regarding M-Powered, I was under the impression that Mackie had made some of their stuff work with it. That's why I didn't say anything at first. But maybe that's not the case anymore.
Well, someone please correct me if I am wrong, but its been my belief that MP software(all numeric versions) only works with M-Audio hardware

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Well, someone please correct me if I am wrong, but its been my belief that MP software(all numeric versions) only works with M-Audio hardware
There was the Pro Tools M-Powered and Mackie ONYXi era back in the day. In brief, Mackie got it working(their own driver), then Avid and Mackie eventually teamed up after the internet forum riots. You were part of the riots.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit