Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2013, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Waves AAX - What does soon mean

The problem with VEP is that you cant transfer session from Mac to PC. Since half of my colleagues are on the opposite OS, "soon" cant come quick enough.
OSX 10.8
RME UFX
Artist Mix
Old 08-01-2013, 06:25 AM

Last time I tried a WAVES plug-in (Eddie Kramer Drums) it locked my computer every time I tried to insert it. Their solution: disable two of my three monitors.. (WTF???)
For one lousy plugin, when everything else (even the $39 Plug and Mix) works flawlessly?? No thanks. They did allow me to surrender the license and gave me a full refund. Which I used to buy another P&M plug.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:30 AM

We attended the Pro Tools 11 rollout show in Atlanta last night.

Johnny Mann from Waves was also there and was asked several time about when they are going to drop their aax2. His words "we are days away, not weeks" - - Im not sure how to translate that.

They are saying the reason they are taking longer than some of the companies is because their portfolio includes over 150 plugs which is quite an undertaking.

The avid guy said that they'be been running waves beta since march with only a few glitches.

just a little FYI.

Peace

Future System 2021 14inch M1 Pro / 16MB Ram / 512 / Monterrey
Old 08-07-2013, 11:42 AM

Nice little bit of info there, thanks for sharing!

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."
Old 08-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lampmusic View Post

They are saying the reason they are taking longer than some of the companies is because their portfolio includes over 150 plugs which is quite an undertaking.
Isn't Waves plugins all the same in one folder for any formats, no matter if it's VST, RTAS, TDM or whatever and all they need to change is the WaveShell plugin?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Johnny Mann from Waves was also there and was asked several time about when they are going to drop their aax2. His words "we are days away, not weeks" - - Im not sure how to translate that.

hmmmm.... that would make me happy happy
Old 08-07-2013, 06:13 PM

Soon is not today ....

it's will be anti climatic - I have done so many mixes now in PT 11 and have not used hardly any even is 10 since no DSP plugs
don't miss Waves at all - WUP will never get renewed - I am just laughing hopefully they'll won;t get released until 2014 -
It's clear they are punishing Avid for AAX but they are only shooting themselves in the foot.
Dropping ilok - Dropping DSP Pro Tools support.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
We attended the Pro Tools 11 rollout show in Atlanta last night.

Peace
I'd like to try...to translate that is. You won't be waiting weeks, not one or more...but as many as six days.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Soon is not today ....

it's will be anti climatic - I have done so many mixes now in PT 11 and have not used hardly any even is 10 since no DSP plugs
don't miss Waves at all - WUP will never get renewed - I am just laughing hopefully they'll won;t get released until 2014 -
It's clear they are punishing Avid for AAX but they are only shooting themselves in the foot.
Dropping ilok - Dropping DSP Pro Tools support.
It's interesting I started not using my TDM Platinum bundle on any new project, when I went HDX due to the unclear path.....that subsequently became clear i.e. Digigrid. I signed petitions and emailed them etc.

I don't fancy an external box like digigrid and I was a bit hacked off with the way the whole no AAX DSP and then Digigrid was presented as the solution to all our problems. I prefer all the gear inside my computer too. (No new MacPro for me and Thank God I got a 12 core with 3 pcie slots 4 drive slots etc etc).

I started to buy Plug Ins only with clear road maps for AAX or announced intentions of at least AAX native soon preferably AAX and DSP.

What's been really interesting about the whole availability of AAX plug ins and this is not just Waves, is that I've been forced to look elsewhere, apart from old faithfuls like McDSP and Sonnox that I'm gratefully still rocking along on who have been there for me the HDX user.

I'm kind of glad I did. Some have supported DSP some don't but all are AAX

Plug In Alliance

BX EQ V2
BX Control
ProAudioDSP DSM V2

Softube

Trident A range EQ
Bass Amp Room
TSR1

Slate (though not aax yet they have categorically stated YES on both Native and DSP) so I jumped in

VTM
VCC
Trigger
FGX

Flux

Essential Metering

FabFilter

Pro L

It's been quite the revelation really and good for me to explore what others are doing. Most of this stuff if not all I have picked up in sales by these manufacturers and is at least as good as and dare I say it better than equivalents in my Platinum bundle.

I got the Softube stuff super cheap, Fabfilter are cheap anyway and still offer sales ;-) Plug In Alliance are always doing great offers.

That's all money spent, that perhaps Waves could have had as I gradually went from Platinum and leveled up to the next bundle and so on and so on.

I'm in two minds about the WUP too, on the one hand it seems silly to kill off a platinum bundle by not WUPing (cut off my nose to spite my face) on the other hand I'm not using it and have had only had to do one recall since I went HDX that was prior to my ceasing to use it so why bother? I haven't done it yet.

I am a bit lacking for mixing anyway in quality emulations I did think the Waves 1176s Neve etc in the Platinum bundle were/are good, but I've been playing around with UAD for quite a while and have decided to jump on that bus and get a quad card (I'd prefer it if they did AAX DSP) but at least with that I can stick it IN my MacPro and their emulations are to my ears arguably the best. They have also confirmed AAX support.

So what's my point? I guess it's that years ago I aspired to get the Waves Mastering Bundle and IMO it was unquestionably the best there was available. When I moved to HDX I was pretty upset that Waves wouldn't be along for the ride and thought it was a BIG deal. Turns out it wasn't have a good look around whilst they are still an amazing company creating great plug ins, there is a lot more choice than there ever has been and it wasn't the big deal I thought it was going to be.

I still would have liked them to do AAX DSP though
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 AM

Giving people time to consider DigiGrid?

I wouldn't be surprised if Waves comes out with their own DAW.
One surprisingly like Protools and running any plug you throw at it.