Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 04-15-2012, 01:37 AM

Angry Using 30 day Trial of PT 10....Having an issue

Well, I was hoping to never having to post a question like this but my long time fear with PT is coming true....I have heard that PT was a super unstable platform and that's why I have always stayed away from it.....maybe someone can help?

I downloaded the 30 day trial the other day. I got it up and running with in an hour and Everything was running just fine. I save my project, closed PT and left for the day. Came back yesterday, launched PT and opened the session I was working on. The session came up but now I cant move ant faders on the mixer, click on any track to edit it, all I can do is play back what was recorded and that's seems to work. I tried to quit and close PT thinking I just need to re-boot it. Problem is I cant close the program. When I go to "FILE" and try to "close PT" that option is greyed out. As a matter for fact all the menu options are greyed out.

So I "forced quit" the program and try it again.....i launched the program, same issue, no working mixer, cant highlight a track, everything is frozen. So again I have to "force quit" the program. This time I thought "let em try creating a brand new session". So I did just that. Guess what, it wont even allow me to add a new track to the new project!

So then I thought, "let me reboot the entire system"......so i did. Rebooted everything 3 different times and same result. As a matter of fact one time PT froze up the entire system and I needed to do a "hard shut down" which no one likes to do right?

So here I am in day # 2 of my 30 day trial and I cant use the program. Not sure why its not working, but it isn't

I have been a Cubase user for 6 years now and honestly I can only think of 2 times where my computer crashed or the program freaked out and I needed to re-boot. Twice in 6 years and all that need to be done was reboot and everything was fine.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not trying to be a PT basher here, I am really not. Having said that, this is exactly why I have always stayed away from PT in the past and went with another platform. I have been told these types of stories where PT is the most unstable DAW and is very finicky.

I went for the trial because I really want to learn PT and I would love to make the switch to what is obviously the "industry standard". Not to mention after 6 years of using Cubase, I would like to try something new. However, this is why I went with the trial before spending $700 on PT 10 and then have these issues.

So does anyone know where I should start here? I don't want to spend 7 hours re-downloading the trail version again to re-install the program. What is going on here?

This is really a let down and I was hoping I was completely wrong about PT and it wasn't what I have been told all these years.

Please help a "thinking about" new user.

Thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2012, 05:49 AM

Default Re: Using 30 day Trial of PT 10....Having an issue

Hi, let me tell you a story...

It was year 199...something when I did my first album and it was using Cubase. At that time native systems were so bad, that when I finally heard about Pro Tools being a dedicated hardare based recording system I got the money together to buy a 16 track PTIII system, witch I was later able to expand to be a 32 track system. It was awesome! That were the times when Pro Tools was absolutely rock-solid recording and mixing system, basic in most of its functions, but truly rock solid and absolutely not comparable to anything else out there in the sense of stability.

Since when Digidesign made the first native Pro Tools version and started to serve to composers and musicians it's been overall downhill, in addition at some point not too long ago development was moved away from US, Pro Tools started to get new features that many other programs have had for a long time, that again attracted composers and musicians but unfortunately now we have lost all of the rock solidness of the program called Pro Tools, a great recording and mixing device it once was.

If I was someone that has been using something else for 6 years I would not start using Pro Tools, cause there is nothing to gain at this point if you are in a music business that is.

It's different I believe if you are a high end post facility, there is no competition there, considering ICON's, satellite systems and such, but these pro people use often old Pro Tools systems and never hurry with any updating. I know world class mixing engineers that are still using Pro Tools 7 with HD hardware and SSL consoles simply because it can do all they need and it's absolutely rock solid.

I have been using PT from version 4 and HW PTIII
Old 04-15-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digidesigner View Post
It's different I believe if you are a high end post facility, there is no competition there, considering ICON's, satellite systems and such, but these pro people use often old Pro Tools systems and never hurry with any updating.
FWIW the big dub stages in Hollywood are all on PT9 or PT10. So yeah, not sure where you get your info, but at least as far as Hollywood post goes, I don't know of a single facility that is running PT7 like you claim.

to the OP - If you don't post your systems specs and info, we can't help you. Computer model & specs, interface, OS, etc.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
FWIW the big dub stages in Hollywood are all on PT9 or PT10. So yeah, not sure where you get your info, but at least as far as Hollywood post goes, I don't know of a single facility that is running PT7 like you claim.

to the OP - If you don't post your systems specs and info, we can't help you. Computer model & specs, interface, OS, etc.
I was talking about mixing engineers in music that use SSL, I did not know post guys mix on stereo analog consoles too.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 PM

Try before you buy is a good thing, but PT requires some homework. First thing I noticed is you make no mention of a single detail regarding your computer or OS, or interface, or anything. That makes it tough to offer any advice. Given that, I can tell you I have several friends in the biz that use PT every day, make money with it, and use versions from old PT5/MixPlus rigs, all the way up to PT10/HDX systems. My own PT10 experience has been pretty good so far(we shall see what today's christening brings). In any case, matching the proper version of PT to your OS is a must. Next thing is; the hardware needs to be compatible. With a Mac, that's fairly easy to achieve, but with a PC, its a lot tougher as there are more NON-compatible computers on the market than compatible ones(why many of us choose to build our own). Your issues could be related to bad hardware, incompatible parts, the wrong OS version, improper system tweaks, or something I haven't managed to remember right now

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-15-2012, 12:59 PM

Sorry, I didn't mention my computer specs. here they are

Mac Pro - quad core 3.2Ghz (purchased in 2010)
10GB ram
Running latest version on Lion
interface - presonus studio live 16.4.2
Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM

seems correct to me. been doing the Avid Media Composer 6 Demo for the last two weeks. everytime I load up a clip it takes 4 times the length to get ingested (1 minute takes 4). when I hit play the program freezes and a force quit is the only way out. so, needless to say, I have not had a good Demo experience. I have no idea how well Avid MC6 works as I cannot even get it to play back ...

cheers

john

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS10.14.6 - PT 2019.6 Ended here ..
Logic Pro X latest version
RME BabyFace Pro