Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-07-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Re: In what area is Pro Tools REALLY lacking??

Side-chain delay compensation is HDX only! This is madness.

Want to pump the bass with the kick drum.. it won't be in sync as Avid has turned off delay compensation for side-chain's unless you've got an HDX card.

Want to duck the music with the VO? Nope, no ADC so it ends up out of sync.

This seems like a strange way of marketing HDX cards. I sold mine while I could still get some $ for it but they're getting pretty old now so I suspect Avid will have to remedy this.. unless they come out with another DSP card. But I doubt shareholders would like that move.

This reminds me of PT LE back in the day when we had no ADC at all when every other major DAW did. I understand that hardware based software presents more of a challenge when porting processing over to the CPU for native users but honestly, it often comes across as more of a marketing strategy.

... oh and our recordings aren't adjusted for system delay without HDX. Bonkers.

Quote:
Compensate for Delays After Record Pass
(HDX and HD Native Systems Only)
Pro Tools provides two options for compensating
for input and output latency (due to any inherent
latency in the analog to digital and digital to analog
converters of the audio interface) after recording.

Pro Tools Ultimate 2021.10 - macOS Big Sur 11.6
10 Core iMac Pro
64GB RAM - Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB
UA Apollo x8
Old 02-07-2019, 02:12 PM

On the midi side of things there was of course several detailed ideascale log items highlighting the inadequacies of Pro Tools as compared to other DAWs.

For me, a comprehensive Cubase style drum edit window would be number 1 on my list, closely followed with the ability to “name” what parameter each specific midi cc number is controlling.

Specifically, the drum editor would ideally be able to specify different midi outputs for different drum sounds, so that a hybrid kit can be made triggering multiple software and/or hardware instruments connected to different midi ports and channels. Once set up you would see a single grid for all your drum and percussion midi, allowing you to see clearly how they interact with each other rhythmically, even though you might be triggering individual sounds from a variety of sources.

Likewise, midi cc naming would have to be individual to each midi port/channel, as once you get away from the standard cc used for pitch bend, modulation, expression, sustain etc, the same cc can be used for very different types of parameters as implemented by different hardware and software manufacturers.

And while we are at it, we need access to those midi cc numbers that simply are not available in Pro Tools. And if we are going the whole hog, ability to control NRPN (non-registered parameter numbers) too!

A way to intuitively show/edit polyphonic aftertouch would be nice as well.
Digi 003 Console for control surface only, Focusrite OctopreLE and MOTU Traveler for extra analog-ADAT conversion, UAD Apollo Quad Silver with Thunderbolt card, Apollo x4 and pci-e Octo, Adam A77X monitors.
Pro Tools 2022.4, Media Composer 8.9, Sibelius 8.7, Cubase Pro 11, Wavelab Pro 11, Logic Pro X 10.5.1, Mainstage 3.
Various apps, soft synths, FX plugins.
Plenty of hardware synths, rack gear, microphones etc.
And then there's the studio ;-)

Last edited by nigelpry; 02-07-2019 at 02:25 PM. Reason: sig updated
Old 02-07-2019, 06:54 PM

I guess I'm getting old. I've been using ProTools since SDII. I still remember the first time I did editing on a Quadra 650 with an AudioMedia II vs doing it with a razor blade.

I think a lot of it comes down to how you like to work. I use ProTools more like I used a tape machine and I really love it. I have Ultimate, but honestly don't usually have more than 24 tracks and don't really use auto tuning or anything like that. Sometimes I'll do a little time correction (which I love in 12) and I find that a lot easier than the old days.

I also like the fact that 99% of the folks I collaborate with also use PT.

The MIDI functionality works fine for me. If I had my way I would somehow have StudioVision's MIDI integrated into PT as it was by far the best I've ever seen and I would also like something like an OMS Galaxy librarian for hardware editing.

Basically, for someone like me who is recording and editing more than processing and doing electronic types of things PT is fantastic. I'm sure other DAWs probably do other things better but I like PT.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 02-07-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protootr View Post
...what big workflow area is Pro Tools ‘miles behind’ competitor daws?
MIDI and VI performance.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-08-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fretfingers View Post

Want to pump the bass with the kick drum.. it won't be in sync as Avid has turned off delay compensation for side-chain's unless you've got an HDX card.

Want to duck the music with the VO? Nope, no ADC so it ends up out of sync.

This seems like a strange way of marketing HDX cards. I sold mine while I could still get some $ for it but they're getting pretty old now so I suspect Avid will have to remedy this.. unless they come out with another DSP card. But I doubt shareholders would like that move.

This reminds me of PT LE back in the day when we had no ADC at all when every other major DAW did. I understand that hardware based software presents more of a challenge when porting processing over to the CPU for native users but honestly, it often comes across as more of a marketing strategy.

... oh and our recordings aren't adjusted for system delay without HDX. Bonkers.
The amount of delay on the sidechain is almost never a problem. The attack time on compressors is usually much more of an issue. And when you actually run into an audible problem, create a key track and shift the audio earlier. How long does that take, 10 seconds? We've been doing this forever. And for the pumping effect in dance music, you want the key track earlier anyway. Non-issue in 99% of the cases. Stop stressing over technical blueprints and use your ears more.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Vocal alignment seems like something that Pro Tools should really have implemented years ago.

I'm not a Cubase user (yet) but this also looks really attractive.

Vocal Alignment in Cubase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNn61n4qxdE
It's called vocalign, it works great in PT
Old 02-08-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Want to pump the bass with the kick drum.. it won't be in sync as Avid has turned off delay compensation for side-chain's unless you've got an HDX card....

Ever thought that maybe it’s the HDX card that needs this feature? Personally I haven’t come acrosss this issue.
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 02-08-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah330 View Post
I guess I'm getting old. I've been using ProTools since SDII. I still remember the first time I did editing on a Quadra 650 with an AudioMedia II vs doing it with a razor blade.

I think a lot of it comes down to how you like to work. I use ProTools more like I used a tape machine and I really love it. I have Ultimate, but honestly don't usually have more than 24 tracks and don't really use auto tuning or anything like that. Sometimes I'll do a little time correction (which I love in 12) and I find that a lot easier than the old days.

I also like the fact that 99% of the folks I collaborate with also use PT.

The MIDI functionality works fine for me. If I had my way I would somehow have StudioVision's MIDI integrated into PT as it was by far the best I've ever seen and I would also like something like an OMS Galaxy librarian for hardware editing.

Basically, for someone like me who is recording and editing more than processing and doing electronic types of things PT is fantastic. I'm sure other DAWs probably do other things better but I like PT.
+1 to all that.....

However I do like the workflow of MIDI in Cubase....but really from what I do with MIDI PT is more than able to fill my needs.

People are always going to find something to complain about. I just think you need to be flexible if something else does something better then use that to do the job..... you know there is no law against.... I’m pretty sure Avid won’t sanction you for it. But some of this sounds a lil petty..... like complaining my fork is useless for eating soup why can’t my fork be like my spoon it can do soup along with a bunch of other things, but your spoon can’t cut the meat..... and the argument goes around in circles. But no we use sometimes several utensils to eat our food sometimes just our fingers. And you could say just using one DAW is in part limiting your tool set. I’m not sure software developers like Avid and others are planning their future software development purely on what others are doing. If that were the case I think the long term R&D of Daw’s per say from all the various players would suffer and in the end, so would we.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
+1 to all that.....

But some of this sounds a lil petty..... like complaining my fork is useless for eating soup why can’t my fork be like my spoon it can do soup along with a bunch of other things
Just use a ”SPORK” for that
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ED57B024-170A-483F-AF28-43CFB7A5B710.jpg (14.4 KB, 0 views)

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 02-08-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
Just use a ”SPORK” for that
Hahahaha...... does it come in 64 bit