Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2012, 05:23 AM

Default Bluescreen on startup after installing Pro Tools 10. Resolved.

Crashing upon startup since upgrading to Pro Tools 10 on Windows 7 x64.

At first I couldn't diagnose the problem so I reinstalled Windows altogether. Everything was fine. No bluscreens. Then I reinstalled Pro Tools 10. Crashing on startup again.

Then I used system restore and uninstalled Pro Tools 10. No more bluescreen, tried about 5 restarts to triple check.

Then reinstalled Pro Tools 10. Bluescreen again, on every startup.

Then I did system restore again. You get the idea. Pro Tools 10 is crashing my system. Weird, I've never seen anything like it, how can an application cause such colossal damage to my system, any ideas?

I don't get this problem after installing Pro Tools 9. I tried that, and it worked fine. Then tried installing 10 again. Bluescreening again.

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
BIOS: FH3
CPU: Intel X980
HDD: 240GB Vertex 3
Chipset: Intel® X58 + ICH10R Chipset
Old 02-10-2012, 07:29 AM

Default Re: Bluescreen on startup after installing Pro Tools 10. Advice please!

I'm having the exact same issues.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=316921

Is the Blue screen giving a code: *** STOP: 0x00000101 ?
I searched and this code is saying a core on the CPU is bad, but I swapped the CPU and still getting the problem. I'm guessing a chipset somewhere is causing the crash, I need to post a Sandra report and see if if an Avid rep can pinpoint which one.

Your first step will be to change the firewire drivers to legacy. Go to Start, Control Panel. Click Device manager and double click IEEE1394. Click Driver tab, then Update Driver button. Select browse my computer, then Let me Pick option. Double click the Legacy driver and restart. This has fixed a couple computers out there but not mine, but it's step 1. ***Only do if you have a firewire port/card on your computer.***

If it doesn;t work, post a Sandra report. That's my next step, but having a kid and a studio not in the same house is farking frustrating.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Bluescreen on startup after installing Pro Tools 10. Advice please!

I am aware of the Firewire Legacy trick too. (Legacy was already selected here).

Can you confirm that you are having exactly the same problem as me? For me it is not bluescreening when I load Pro Tools. It is worse that that. It is bluescreening when I load Windows (after a few seconds), even without the ilok plugged in. What is a Sandra report? I have wasted too much time on this already. I simply have to stop using Pro Tools. Believe it or not Avid we use our computers for other things too! This has been a total waste of time.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Bluescreen on startup after installing Pro Tools 10. Beware!!!

Can you also answer this: did you test to see if the problem was any different using 10.0.0 and 10.0.1?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Ah, mine only crashes when opening protools, and it's a music production PC only, not for personal use. And yes, 10.0 and update blue screen.

If it crashes other than protools use, it's probably not the root of the problem.

How much Ram do you have?
Old 02-10-2012, 06:22 PM

This was happening to me and it turned out to be a bad ram stick. I changed it out and it's all good. I did however, build myself a new mac daddy computer a month later. i7 with 12gigs of ram. Now, my computer can fly like a rocket ship.

nexis

Last edited by nexis; 02-10-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2012, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Bluescreen on startup after installing Pro Tools 10. Resolved.

OK.

1 of 2 things seems to have fixed it.

1) Custom setup and not installing the option 'Mac HFS + Disk Support', which is selected by default in quick install.

2) I redownloaded the update in case my update installer was somehow corrupted.

The bluescreen problem was definitely being caused by my Pro Tools installation, but after doing those things it seems to been fixed. I did a lot of tests, I have no doubt that it was my Pro Tools 10 installer and/or update that was causing the problem, but all is well now. Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:18 AM

I'm not 100% certain, but it would appear that Mac Drive Support you mention places some suspicious files in msconfig. In my case, the PT install caused "Windows Explorer not working" errors. I know because I rolled back my system to a time when that didn't happen, reloaded Ilok drivers with no problem, then got the Windows Explorer errors again after reinstalling PT.

The other problem with the installation for newbs is that dual function dialog box which exists to give you the option to install, say, virtual instruments to your OS drive and the samples themselves to a Samples drive. Only it's cryptic in there. If you poke around a little, the option it previously gave you to browse drive/folder info disappears and you're stuck spraying files around your various hard drvies and having to recreate a file structure.

I don't know everything, but Avid might want to look at these two aspects of the PT install. At the very least it's disconcerting to find Mac files in a PC install.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:15 PM

Yes obvsly they must remove the mac files.
a) it is unnessecary
b) it is causing problems with some people's PCs
c) you actively have to untick it in the installation. Should be opt in not opt out by default in the custom install option
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 AM

I'm guessing those "Macish" files have something to do with SoundCloud, that collaboration software, and allow a PC's NTFS file structure to read files originally created on Mac disks. That's my theory, anyway. What else could they be? Or maybe they're there so you could plug an external Glyph drive [almost surely originally used with a Mac] into a PC and read the files?

But the install into msconfig/startup and the surprise element are handled clumsily.