Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2009, 11:14 PM

Default Re: Are Digidesign TRYING to loose their customers??

So should Digi also add Win7/64-bit support for PT 6.x users? I'm sure people still running Pro Tools 6 would be pissed for feeling left out. Well then what about the Pro Tools 5.x users? Gotta accomodate them, too. Digi has to draw the line somewhere at which to stop supporting software. And that point just so happens to be at the version of software that you own.

I love the example of people upgrading to Windows 7 but can't afford Pro Tools. So because people can afford a $200 OS upgrade, but can't afford a $150 Pro Tools upgrade, Digi should accommodate them? OK. You do that and see how long you're in business.
Access Virus TI Polar :: M-Audio Profire 2626 :: UAD-2 Duo :: UAD-1
Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
So should Digi also add Win7/64-bit support for PT 6.x users? I'm sure people still running Pro Tools 6 would be pissed for feeling left out. Well then what about the Pro Tools 5.x users? Gotta accomodate them, too. Digi has to draw the line somewhere at which to stop supporting software. And that point just so happens to be at the version of software that you own.

I love the example of people upgrading to Windows 7 but can't afford Pro Tools. So because people can afford a $200 OS upgrade, but can't afford a $150 Pro Tools upgrade, Digi should accommodate them? OK. You do that and see how long you're in business.
I was pretty pissed with my Antivirus software stopped supporting my Windows 98 machine...
Old 12-29-2009, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post

gotta read the whole post dude. The example was students. windows 7 academic license costs 40 bucks, and as some one who just graduated, even that is a lot of money.

We're talking about people who are going to start their careers soon without pro tools. I'm saying that it's a bad business decision by digidesign because of the whole "start em young" principal. It's also amplified by the tough economic times.

I qualified for the free upgrade, so I'm fine. good for me.

Also, I agree that they have to draw the line somewhere, but that line should be drawn when something becomes obsolete, or almost obsolete.

an example: windows XP is 8 years old! 8! and it's still supported to some degree. Why? because businesses still use it! (not to mention people, but businesses make up a much larger percent of their business). XP is still good enough for most businesses and until microsoft can convince them that 7 has something they can't live without or their old computers break down, they have no reason to change, and wont dish out a bunch of money to do so.

As an OS windows is doing pretty well, no?
Old 12-29-2009, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludia View Post
Even if and when full 64 W7 support would come out and turns out to be an upgrade from 8 to 9 for example and they would charge me for it, I would be happy to do so. Mind you, I'm not making money with the tools and is purely a hobby.
...and to add even if you weren't there is more than enough adequate programmes to cater for lack of 64 bit support. Reaper is true 64 bit processing from end to end and for 1/3 the price of a Pro Tools 8 Upgrade and has supported W7 for some time now.

You see the quicker it is accepted the quicker we get to our goal. Asking for further support only delays this process.

filosofem
Old 12-29-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockeClone View Post
I agree that they have to draw the line somewhere, but that line should be drawn when something becomes obsolete, or almost obsolete.
Not if it's holding up development and in these tough economic times future development is future business.

filosofem
Old 12-30-2009, 01:04 AM

What I don't understand is why the upgrades? Who needs 8 cores anyway..
Who needs a 64 bit os? Who needs more than 3Gb of Ram?
Who needs Win7 anyway, or Vista, or XP, or Win2000, or Win98...?

What I mean is that since technology always is on the move and companies like Microsoft and Apple continually upgrade their OS Digidesign can't really stay behind now can they?

I think it is total bulltish that people nag about having to pay for an upgrade.. What else would you expect? My first (windows) computer came with 3.1. Now I'm at Win7, in between are at least four different, major, 'upgrades' which I had to pay for all of them... Not even to mention the amounts of €€ that went into upgrading motherboard, cpu, memory, harddrives, etc.. And not to mention all the small upgrades in between... And this is all normal stuff, nobody nags about this.

Why doesn't Intel give me their new upgrade cpu? I already bought an i7, now I want the new one that comes out in a while.. I mean, everyody finds that strange..

So in short, stop b*tching Digidesign for having us pay for the upgrades. If you don't want to pay, stick to Win XP, a mere 3 Gb of Ram and PT 7.4. I don't really care.

(Oh, and I'm on i7, 6Gb ram, Win7 64 bit, 002R, PT 8.0.3 w/ 64 bit beta drivers and it's running like I never seen it before..! Man, this thing is smokin'..)

[Keybeeetsss]
Every time I see ur name "Gvees", I don't know why but I always start singin, "I-I-I-I-Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive: I-I-I-I-Stayin Aliiiiiveeeeee-Iiiiveeee-Iiiivvveeee-Iiivveeeee"
Old 12-30-2009, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Are Digidesign TRYING to lose their customers??

I would have been happy to pay for DAW feature upgrades, but paying $150 just to get a working ASIO driver for Win 7 was a bit much. I have printers, scanners, mice, keyboards, and cameras that are all older than my Digi 002, and the manufacturers of every one of them have provided Win 7 x64 drivers at no cost.

That encourages me to keep buying products from the companies with better long-term support, and to switch vendors when I need new DAW hardware.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:18 AM

Well, I think there's a slight misunderstanding.. a 002 is not meant to be your computers soundcard, that is simply an added feature. It's primarily meant to be used with Pro Tools and to use your 002 with Pro Tools on Win7 64x you will need the upgrade, it's as simple as that. If that's not to your taste than there's no other option..

It's a completely different strategy than the manufacturers of those printers, scanners, etc..
The 002 is meant to work alongside Pro Tools. Why would you need a working ASIO driver for Win7 64x? If you need it to work with Pro Tools than you need to get an upgrade. Otherwise you would need it for use without Pro Tools. It's the same as Apple.. Digidesign is not the only one. Their are a lot of companies working like this.

[Keybeeetsss]
Every time I see ur name "Gvees", I don't know why but I always start singin, "I-I-I-I-Stayin Alive, Stayin Alive: I-I-I-I-Stayin Aliiiiiveeeeee-Iiiiveeee-Iiiivvveeee-Iiivveeeee"
Old 12-30-2009, 07:21 AM

I haven't used PTLE for at least a year but have successfully continued to use my Digi 002 with the standalone ASIO driver as a hardware front end for other DAW software (REAPER, PreSonus Studio One). The current standalone ASIO driver no longer works under Win 7 x64.

Digidesign would (IMHO) be making a big mistake by forcing their hardware customers to also be software customers - some of them will prefer to make future hardware purchases of more open, industry-standard solutions. The PreSonus FireStudio Project I just purchased (for example) works fine with every DAW software I've tried so far.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Well, they won't be losing this customer.

I say bring it on.

Seems like a small price to pay to me...

But then again, I my pom poms are always within arms reach.
Win7 64 Ultimate - Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz - Gigabyte EX58-UD3R - OCZ Gold 6GB - Radeon X550 256MB Video Card - 750GB Caviar Black System, 500GB Hitachi SATA Sample, and 750GB Caviar Black Audio - 500GB Caviar Blue Backup - Pro Tools 8.0.4 LE - Signature Series Digi 002R