Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2020.5 GUI FREAK OUT on Windows 10

I just got a reply from support. they had sent the logs I provided (which clearly showed asserts in the PT code) to engineering and they are now telling me my system is not on the "approved" list and sending more scripted BS busy work suggestions. kind of sorry I paid into 2021 for support when it looks like I will never move off 2019.12.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 06-03-2020, 10:41 PM

Ugh... Now I'm expecting that same reply.

I just don't get it, this is seriously the only thing bringing the system down. I got past the lack of horizontal mouse wheel scrolling and learned the key commands after the move to windows. But... Then a day like today, where this probably happened 5 times, has me concerned for the future.

This does not happen when bouncing for me though. Only when adding inserts, adding sends, or opening a session that previously caused issues with a high number of tracks/plugins. I have to open the session with plugins disabled, and then enable them individually to work around this. Come to think of it, I started using a lot of waves scheps omni channel and the new studiorack around the time this started happening. Any one else maybe seeing this from waves plugins?

Ordered a mac pro, but hoping I can cancel the order, because I don't really expect less problems after a ton of issues with my last mac(s), I do still feel more secure with it for some reason.

Current system: Gigabyte z390 designare, 9900ks, rx580, 64gb, windows 10 pro, hd native thunderbolt, uad octo pcie, uad octo thunderbolt.

Last edited by thebeatless; 06-04-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2020, 10:59 PM

I ran a couple of tests and tried several things (see earlier post), also a single empty track.

Considering that my other daws have no such problems, that it happens on different systems w different GPU’s and drivers and that around the same time a bug on OS X causes GUI freezes etc.... reasonable chance that it’s really a problem inside pro tools that only avid can fix for us.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/hom...eid=e2e1d9d0d3

Did anyone try disconnecting from the internet yet? 🤷🏼
Old 06-04-2020, 06:10 AM

I always run while disconnected from the internet. I only connect to authorize plugins, etc.
Win10
www.studiodrumtracks.com
www.doubledogrecording.com
Old 06-04-2020, 07:07 AM

Working with remote clients and session artists in the current situation renders that an impossibility here, but apparently that doesn’t matter anyway.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:19 AM

The mac graphic freeze is different. I was experiencing that on windows as well. The user interface would just pause for a second or two frequently, which is easily fixed by trashing prefs or turning off the "Send Anonymous Pro Tools Usage Data To Avid” function in prefs. The issue we have here is way more severe, and interrupts the creative process at random times for me. Usually when I want to add an insert, and then i have to try to remember why I was adding an insert after reloading pro tools, and a large session.

I got a response from support: "Thank you for sending the files. I will do further investigation and will update you ASAP." I sent system info and a video of it happening with a repeatable session file.

I really don't want to have to buy a mac pro! I think it's overkill for audio, and I'm truly enjoying my workflow in windows. Hopefully Avid can find a quick fix!
Old 06-05-2020, 06:46 AM

I gave in. Mac Pro arrives next week. 😢
Old 06-05-2020, 06:51 AM

That is an impressive machine, I’m just not convinced OSX is better anymore. (Switched to PC last July after almost 20 yrs on Apple)
Old 06-05-2020, 06:52 AM

That is an impressive machine, I’m just not convinced OSX is better for Pro Tools anymore. YMMV

As long as you know your way around and are familiar with the problems, that will save you time perhaps. Enjoy!

(Switched to PC last July after almost 20 yrs on Apple)
Old 06-05-2020, 07:32 AM

I did some testing and I was having similar issues when putting a heavy load on cubase and studio one. I don't have the time or windows knowledge to troubleshoot right now. Hopefully it's a quick transition to the MP after a couple hours of software installation.

I'm not really convinced that the OS is better either. Actually I think apple is getting worse while windows is getting better, but I know Apple can build a machine better than I can. I was hoping to stick with windows, and planned to build a monster machine later this year, but as much as I enjoy the tinkering, I think it's best for me to get a pre built machine for my main source on income. I checked prices compared to HP/Dell, and the Mac isn't really more expensive for similar specs, and it can run both OS's.

I did have a few very minor annoyances in pro tools running on Windows. There's no horizontal scrolling with my mouse's thumb wheel. If Avid hasn't fixed that yet, I don't think they ever will. And... Often Alt clicking in plugins would activate the windows menu when unwanted, so often something as simple as pressing the spacebar to stop wouldn't work when windows was waiting for a key command for the menu.

I built this system as a test, and it worked better than expected for 6 months, but I already have enough stress and anxiety from work, I don't want to worry about my tools failing too. haha