Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM

Default Reformatted PC and now the dreaded "unable to locate hardware" (w/ other weird stuff)

Hi All,

As the title suggests, I reformatted my PC and now I'm having some issues. After reinstalling pro tools (m-powered 8) and updating to 8.0.5, I'm getting that annoying message. But I feel like there is an underlying issue aside from a software thing, if you will.

Although my computer detects the fast track pro and Ilok, it won't play music through the speakers at all, which is weird. I think if I can get a handle on that issue, my problem will be solved.

Any Ideas?

So far I've done the following (in no particular order):

Re-Reformatting
Re-installing x 1000
Updating to 8.0.1 then to 8.0.5

Thanks!!

P.S. - I am unable to connect my hardware to another computer to test it, if you guys think it might indeed be the fast track pro.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Reformatted PC and now the dreaded "unable to locate hardware" (w/ other weird st

After installing Pro Tools, did you also re-install the drivers for your mpowered device? I had a similar issue after installing a new processor in my PC. Had to re-install pt and initially couldn't see the Command8 I use. Once I installed the Command8 driver, problem solved. Also, if you move any USB device to an new port on your PC, you will need to re-install the driver.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Reformatted PC and now the dreaded "unable to locate hardware" (w/ other weird st

Thanks, MJS. I gave it a try but still no luck. Also, silly question I'm sure, but wouldn't the drivers re-install once I try to re-install the program? If not, what do I have to do in order to get the ones I need?
Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 AM

In my case, Using Pro Tools LE 7.4, the drivers for the Command8, which is connected to the computer via USB2.0, were in a seperate folder from my PT 7.4 setup files. I am not at my music computer now, but as I recall there were actually 2 installation procedures for the Command8, the Installation files and the USB driver installation. Try going to the link at the top of this page (software updates, drivers...) and search around for the latest drivers for your product.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM

It worked!! I just needed to install the FTP drivers as you suggested. Very much appreciated! Thanks a bunch, I thought I'd have to give up my hobby, but not anymore.

Shawn
Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM

Great!!! You may want to make an image of your system drive using Acronis True Image or a similar program. That way, if you have a problem in the future you can restore your system to a working configuration without having to re-install any programs, drivers, etc.