Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2019, 04:47 AM

Default Falcon 2 Issue with Sample Imports

I've had an issue with importing multi-samples into Falcon (and now Falcon 2). The way it should work is you locate the samples you want with Falcon browser, and then select them and drag and drop into the Falcon sample editor window. With Windows, you hold ALT key and when you drag the samples over to the sample editor area, the Sample Drag/Drop Menu is supposed to pop up so you can select how you want Falcon to handle the samples. Well, I have yet to see that menu pop up no matter what I do. It doesn't matter if I drag 1 sample or a multi-sample. I select the samples from the Falcon browser, drag over to the sample editor window holding the ALT key...nothing. I can move the samples around the key map area, but if I'm trying to import a multi-sample that contains the key map designations (i.e. "samplename-C3.wav") for each sample, the samples remain in the same order the were in the browser list. The only way I can do a multi-sample is import 1 at a time, assign to the proper note in the editor, then I can select all, then fill out the rest of the key map to spread the samples out across the keyboard.

I reported it to UVI last night. I thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else is having the issue.

I'm using Win-10. Don't know if this is strictly a PC issue, or if some Mac users have the same problem.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:51 PM
Space Cabin Audio

Default Re: Falcon 2 Issue with Sample Imports

I have reported this bug to both UVI and Avid. The workaround, for now, is to use the standalone version of Falcon to build the multi. Once it's done you can continue to tweak in Pro Tools.

Kris
May the music move you
Old 10-27-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris75 View Post
I have reported this bug to both UVI and Avid. The workaround, for now, is to use the standalone version of Falcon to build the multi. Once it's done you can continue to tweak in Pro Tools.

Thanks, Kris. I've read that others have had this issue. Not sure what causes it. I had not thought of trying in standalone mode, though. So I did, and you're right, that works. The only issue with that is for some reason I can't get my MIDI controller to play Falcon in standalone. Falcon "sees" my controller on the MIDI set up screen and has it assigned correctly, but playing the keyboard does nothing whatsoever! Its so annoying! You find a solution for one thing, and some other issue crops up!

Anyway, I was able to import a multisample. Then, closed standalone, when back into PT and opened Falcon, and was able to complete the edit of the patch like I wanted. So, it is just the one issue of not getting the sample drag/drop pop up menu...at least in Windows.

Thanks again for the reply.

DOnald M

Old 10-28-2019, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Thanks, Kris. I've read that others have had this issue. Not sure what causes it. I had not thought of trying in standalone mode, though. So I did, and you're right, that works. The only issue with that is for some reason I can't get my MIDI controller to play Falcon in standalone. Falcon "sees" my controller on the MIDI set up screen and has it assigned correctly, but playing the keyboard does nothing whatsoever! Its so annoying! You find a solution for one thing, and some other issue crops up!

snippage

Donald M
I know you say you have your keyboard assigned correctly in Falcon's MIDI setup screen but is the program you're working on assigned to the correct MIDI channel your Motif is sending? I too had the problem you talk about until I straightened out that my Motif and Falcon were both on the same channel. Try setting the Falcon program you're working on to omni for MIDI channel.

QAPLA!
Old 10-28-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I know you say you have your keyboard assigned correctly in Falcon's MIDI setup screen but is the program you're working on assigned to the correct MIDI channel your Motif is sending? I too had the problem you talk about until I straightened out that my Motif and Falcon were both on the same channel. Try setting the Falcon program you're working on to omni for MIDI channel.

Yes, I did all that...no joy. Going to Omni was the first thing I thought of. No change. Its such a kill joy when these inexplicable issues crop up! I don't want to what little studio time I have trouble shooting. I want to spend it creating sounds and music!!

Old 10-30-2019, 07:02 AM

Update: Well, I have to say UVI tech support is first class. They responded within 24 hours to my support ticket on these issues. The support guy, Alexandre, had me set up a remote session with him this morning. He was able to fix the MIDI issue in standalone, but the sample import issue with Falcon in Pro Tools is still there. He thinks it has something to do with the AAX and is bumping it up to the dev team to look at. Sample import works normally in standalone, and in VST mode when hosted in Reason 9.5. Its just with Falcon in Pro Tools that the issue crops up where I never get the Drag/Drop Mapping menu. He said its the first time he's seen this issue and can't understand why.

But they're on it!

Old 10-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Update: Well, I have to say UVI tech support is first class. They responded within 24 hours to my support ticket on these issues. The support guy, Alexandre, had me set up a remote session with him this morning. He was able to fix the MIDI issue in standalone, but the sample import issue with Falcon in Pro Tools is still there. He thinks it has something to do with the AAX and is bumping it up to the dev team to look at. Sample import works normally in standalone, and in VST mode when hosted in Reason 9.5. Its just with Falcon in Pro Tools that the issue crops up where I never get the Drag/Drop Mapping menu. He said its the first time he's seen this issue and can't understand why.

But they're on it!
Alexandre is aces in my book. Worked with him on a license asset issue. Quickly solved. Can you share how he fixed the MIDI issue in standalone? It could help someone else with the same issue.

QAPLA!
Old 10-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Alexandre is aces in my book. Worked with him on a license asset issue. Quickly solved. Can you share how he fixed the MIDI issue in standalone? It could help someone else with the same issue.

the MIDI set up menu gave 3 options for my Motif XS: Motif XS MIDI IN; Motif XS Main; and MotifXS Remote. I had tried all 3 before this morning, with no joy. Turns out that I needed to select Motif XS Main, but that in order for the new selection to work, you need to actually close the menu, which I didn't do before. So that was it. Now it works just fine.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
the MIDI set up menu gave 3 options for my Motif XS: Motif XS MIDI IN; Motif XS Main; and MotifXS Remote. I had tried all 3 before this morning, with no joy. Turns out that I needed to select Motif XS Main, but that in order for the new selection to work, you need to actually close the menu, which I didn't do before. So that was it. Now it works just fine.
That explains much - and thanks for the reply. Comes down to what your Motif XS is doing; I have said in the past that Yamaha does things in a weird way and this just proves it. While I have my original Motif 7 sorted my DTXM12 drum pad drives me batty with it's programming. Oh for the day when things were simpler like with my original DX7-IID

QAPLA!
Old 10-31-2019, 12:44 AM

Quote:
That explains much - and thanks for the reply. Comes down to what your Motif XS is doing; I have said in the past that Yamaha does things in a weird way and this just proves it. While I have my original Motif 7 sorted my DTXM12 drum pad drives me batty with it's programming. Oh for the day when things were simpler like with my original DX7-IID

I hear you! Although, I have to say, I haven't had much cause to complain about how well my Motif XS has acted as a controller. One feature I really like is that I can use the knobs on the left side to assign to things in a VI (or plugin). So, if I'm programming a sound in something which has MIDI learn (and most do these days), I can assign up to 8 of the knobs to various functions, which can help the process a lot. I use that feature all the time.