Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2003, 06:02 PM

Default Help!!! Direct-Connect constantly going dead!

this is a huge problem:

I just did a complete OS and software re-install. Previously this problem did not exist:

every 5-10 minutes, all apps using D-C to stream into PT go silent. I can see midi still active on the midi tracks, but the audio input to PT just goes dead.

The only cure is to replace the D-C plugin and the Stream-Manager extention with fresh ones. Then the problem happens again 10 minutes later.

I don't know which of the above is actually the fix, but it's definitely one of them.

I have no idea at all what might have changed in my system. maybe an extention conflict, but I doubt it.

Any ideas? I'm losing my mind on this one.
--------------------------------------------

HD7
Dual 1-gig Mac (original)
DAE 5.3.1
Pro Tools 5.3.1r2
StreamManager 5.3.1r2_128
Direct-Connect 5.3.1
Old 03-26-2003, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Help!!! Direct-Connect constantly going dead!

bump.

I guess I'm out of business?
Old 03-26-2003, 04:49 AM

Hi speer,

did you run a virus check? You said that you've reinstalled your software, but did you reformat your main hard drive? That's the only way to start from a clean slate.

Another thing that springs to mind is any screen-saver (like Apple's Energy Saver) that might kick in after a few minutes of idle time, maybe they could interfere with D-C.

I hope this helps, good luck.
Old 03-26-2003, 10:45 PM

Marco,

I did not reformat. That would be a bear.

I HAVE checked for bad blocks, and my last initialize is less than 2 months ago.

I'm curious what you think reformatting would solve, relative to my particular problem?

(and yes, I checked for viruses. good suggestion, though.)
Old 03-27-2003, 04:03 AM

speer,

you said that you've reistalled your system and your applications. This is a mere step away from reformatting, I just thought that if you're questioning your system and applications and replacing them still doesn't achieve a result, a complete reformat will rule out any virus, bad hard drive blocks etc. that you might have.

Unless the problem is hardware related (and that is a BIG can of worms), I can't think of a better way to address such a creepy software problem than starting fresh.

By the way, did you try zapping the PRAM, after a long and complete shutdown of your entire system (I've had problems in the past with static build-ups)? Best thing to do, leave the system plugged into the mains, switch everything off and also trip the circuit breaker, so there's no voltage going into the PSUs of each box but the earth is still connected. If you've got a large system, it's best to leave it like that for one night, and then zap the PRAM first thing in the morning, to allow for a complete static discharge from each and every component. Boring, I know...

Good luck!
Old 03-28-2003, 12:01 AM

I would run Tech Tool Pro to zap the PRAM and I would also rebuild the desktop.

best regards,
Mark W.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:46 AM

Yes, I use Tech tool Pro (I agree, it's essential)
Did the p-ram, desktop,dumped all preferences, etc etc etc

I'm going to try that business of letting the voltage drain. I never heard of that one before! Sounds, crazy, but I'm desperate and who knows?

Thanks for the suggestion, Marco. Sounds like Voodoo, but who knows?

If that doesn't work, I'm gonna start sacrificing chickens.
Old 03-28-2003, 01:48 AM

I am no Mac expert, but in my experience this kind of problem is often tied to some time related function in the system, like background indexing, Pro Tools Auto save function, sleep settings on the Mac.

Another thing to look for is extension conflicts with USB peripherals (my USB modem keeps interfering with the MtpAV in my setup), some background printer utilities (Epson for example)

Finally, just a wild guess, maybe there is some plugin that reverted to demo mode ?

hope this helps...
Old 03-28-2003, 06:47 AM

Mark hit it right on the nose - in my case, the demo versions of Reverb One and the Access Virus Indigo plug-in under Mac OS 9.2.2 / InterLok extensions 1.4.5.

After installing these two plug-ins + presets, there is no playback via DirectConnect under Logic Platinum 5.5, 6.0 or ProTools 5.1.1...

(I'm using a Mix Plus + DSP Farm in a "QuickSilver" Power Mac G4-867 machine, BTW.)

By de-instanciating a DirectConnect plug-in, playback can be restored, as if to "reset" DirectConnect's resources. Once installed on the system, however, removal of the plug-ins from the DAE folder does not solve the problem.

Dave Dever
Old 03-29-2003, 12:34 AM

Mark, you got it right. I can't believe it. THANKS.

No demo plugs ala David's case, but indeed I forgot to turn off Sherlock. I did so, then removed the D-C plug as david outlines.

After re-inserting D-C into my DAE folder (and dumping all prefs again,) the problem seems to have dissapeared. So far, anyway.

Chickens worldwide are breathing easier.