Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 10:45 AM

Default No automation parameters displayed on some plugins

I had a bit of an odd one the other day. I was mixing in the box on an HD3 not accel, and I was pretty much maxing out the DSP. System is configured as follows:

Apple Mac dual G4 1.25GHz with 1.5GB RAM
Mac OS X 10.3.9
ProTools 6.7
LaCie FW HD

I was running a lot of plugins, but I noticed that some of them (typically Sony EQ and Dynamics, McDSP filters and I can't remember which other ones) won't diplay a list of available parameters when clicking on the 'auto' button, the page woudl eb empty. Other plugins instead would happily show the usual list, i.e. Pultec EQP-1A, 1176 etc.

I couldn't figure out what was causing it - the system was running out of DSP and there was quite a bit of automation going on, but playback was smooth and I had no crashes, and I could have probably added a few more plugs if I wanted to, although all the chips were allocated. I wasn't running any instruments, no MIDI, no RTAS, and there were hardly any edits, I was mixing a 45min. long live concert, recorded on 24 tracks at 48KHz.

Anyway, I later upgraded the system to Mac OS 10.4.2 and ProTools 6.9.3cs3 and I still had the same problem when I reopened the session. Weird?!

Has anyone experienced anything like that? All of my plugs are legit and there weren't any demo versions either. The system is rock-solid and hasn't crashed for months. I haven't yet tried to run those plug-ins on their own on a new session, but I tried to change the order within the channel strip (i.e. have the Sony EQ first followed by an 1176 whilst I might have had the other wat around) and that didn't make any difference. So the plugin would still work fine, I just couldn't automate any of its parameters. I checked that nothing was disabled in the enable-automation page. I had to get on with it so I couldn't fuss about too long, but perhaps some of you had a similar problem and know the answer.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: No automation parameters displayed on some plugins

Get rid of the Digi dynamics III plug-in. It seems to be problematic. I had the same problem with Waves plug-ins, and putting Digi Dynamics III in the "Plug-ins unused" folder in the Library->Application support->Digidesign solved it. Others have reported similiar problems.

Too bad, because it's a good plug-in.

Bob
Old 12-15-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: No automation parameters displayed on some plugins

Yes I've just seen this too on latest 6.9 version.

When it happens, all plugins on a particular track loose their automation parameters - they just disappear from the list. However, other tracks remain perfectly ok.