Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 05-24-2002, 02:39 PM

Default Finalizer 96K

has anybody used this unit to get more of a handle on their mastering sessions with 5 band EQ, 3 band compression, and 3 band limiter. i'm thinking it will be a good investment for my studio but i'd like to know what some of you think.

are you happy with how you master your songs? would you use this if you were looking for outboard gear to master with? how would you rate this compared to plug-in mastering tools? you know, things like that.

thanks in advance for all your help.

Pro Tools 11.3.1 and PT 9.0.5, Macbook Pro 17", OS X Yosemite v10.10.2, 2.2GHz i7 CPU, ATI Radeon 6750M
Old 05-24-2002, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Finalizer 96K

i`ve heard good stuff mastered on the finalizer......like everything, it can be overdone, but I liked what I heard.

jorge

www.abacomusic.com
Old 05-25-2002, 04:05 AM

I once met a guy at a live concert in a venue around here which is known to sound bad (due to acoustics and bad PA placement) and he was doing the engineering for that night's band: he patched the Finalizer 69 accross the stereo buss and WOW I couldn't belive the results; during soundcheck he shouwed me how he could shape the sound of the PA with the multiband limiter and EQ; when I was an assistant in a local commercial studio I had the chanche (and honor) to assist Mr. Garteh Jones (engineer of Depeche Mode) in the mixing sessions of a popular rock band (here in Italy) and he was using the Finalizer 96 (his own) accross the stereo buss again with stellar results; he told me that he was able to correct the little imperfections to his mixes that derive from the different acoustics of the control rooms he works in (the world over), and he used it just a little with very minimal boosts or cuts, so that he was able to deliver an even finished mix that was ready for the mastering stage where the eventual corrections would be minimal.

Hope this helps

L.G.
Old 05-25-2002, 08:43 AM

I'm glad that two advocates of the Finalizer went first because although I'm sure that the finalizer is a quality unit. I would like to provide another veiw of your situation.
Because you are using the 001 I assume you are a recording engineer/producer and not a mastering engineer. My friend, even the greatest authors do not edit their own books. In the same right you as a recording engineer/producer should not master your own mixes. Please find someone with quality gear and a first rate discology to master your project. Objective ears are priceless, as are crafted mastering environments, 100's of thousands of dollars in mastering gear and wisdom. My mastering engineer only charges $90 an hour and his discology is VERY impressive, but more than that he has golden ears, and quick reflexes. Let me know if you want his #.
If you plan on getting airplay it will be a wise investment, but if you're recording demo's and such the finalizer or the L2 should be more than enough.
P.S. If the other guys were more convincing than me you might want to check this out [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=875495315