Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 04-14-2011, 04:30 AM

Default Why is PT 9 so unstable?

Every time I try and launch Protools the icon either bounces in the dock and nothing happens or it takes literally five minutes to launch. Then when it finally does launch, Protools crashes as soon as I try and setup my MIDI peripherals to read my MIDI controller.

For the past three weeks I've been trying to figure out why nothing I do seems to work. I'm working on a brand new imac 27' i7 - 2.93Ghz - 2TB HD - 16GB ram - OS X 10.6.6 + Digi003 + M-Audio Oxygen 49 USB MIDI controller + three external Glyph drives daisy chained together.

I've updated all drivers, deleted all my preferences, database folders, volume folders, apple midi setup files via "Protools Pref and Database Helper." I've gone through and setup all my system preferences (Plug-In Compatibility, General Setup and System Optimizations, Energy Saver, AirPort, Bluetooth, Firewire Networking, Pace Drivers, and etc) to be what Protools recommends.

I've uninstalled Protools 9.0.2 and reinstalled clean. Then I even re-installed OS X 10.6.6 by downloading the update from apples website, then reinstalled Kontakt plus other sampling software. After doing this Protools actually worked fine for all of three days before it went right back to crashing anytime I tried to alter my peripherals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-14-2011, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Why is PT 9 so unstable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblythe.sound View Post
Every time I try and launch Protools the icon either bounces in the dock and nothing happens or it takes literally five minutes to launch. Then when it finally does launch, Protools crashes as soon as I try and setup my MIDI peripherals to read my MIDI controller.

For the past three weeks I've been trying to figure out why nothing I do seems to work. I'm working on a brand new imac 27' i7 - 2.93Ghz - 2TB HD - 16GB ram - OS X 10.6.6 + Digi003 + M-Audio Oxygen 49 USB MIDI controller + three external Glyph drives daisy chained together.

I've updated all drivers, deleted all my preferences, database folders, volume folders, apple midi setup files via "Protools Pref and Database Helper." I've gone through and setup all my system preferences (Plug-In Compatibility, General Setup and System Optimizations, Energy Saver, AirPort, Bluetooth, Firewire Networking, Pace Drivers, and etc) to be what Protools recommends.

I've uninstalled Protools 9.0.2 and reinstalled clean. Then I even erased and re-installed OS X 10.6.6 plus Kontakt and other sampling software. After doing this Protools actually worked for all of three days before it went right back to crashing anytime I tried to alter my peripherals.

I've wasted 3 weeks trying to figure this out when I should be working on projects.
OS 10.6.6, was it the combo update?, also try with only 1 drive hooked up and make sure they are set to record volume and see how it runs.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:41 AM

It was indeed the combo update. Is there a known issues with it?

I've tried only having one drive plugged up as well as no drives and I get the same response. All drives are formatted for apple partition map and set for record volume.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:55 AM

Welcome to the world of pro tools 9.
You can try every kind of troubleshooting,every kind of configuration, every kind of update...upgrade,downgrade.. whatever.The fact of the matter is ITS UNSTABLE.

rant over
Old 04-14-2011, 09:59 AM
Avid

Have you tried testing from a new administrator account yet?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiwave View Post
Welcome to the world of pro tools 9.
You can try every kind of troubleshooting,every kind of configuration, every kind of update...upgrade,downgrade.. whatever.The fact of the matter is ITS UNSTABLE.

rant over
I beg to differ - Pro Tools is very stable for a vast majority of people.

In every case I've personally dealt with there's always *something* else contributing to the instability - incompatible plug-ins, configuration issues, hardware issues, bad RAM, etc.

While no software is free of bugs, there's no supporting evidence that Pro Tools is inherently unstable.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post

In every case I've personally dealt with there's always *something* else contributing to the instability - incompatible plug-ins, configuration issues, hardware issues, bad RAM, etc.

While no software is free of bugs, there's no supporting evidence that Pro Tools is inherently unstable.
Would you be able to help me with mine, it's impossible for me to listen to anything, even 1 track of audio with no plugins without getting a -6101 error, without fail every time, sometimes twice.

I've been through and done all the Pro Tools optimisations, removed all non digi plugs, increased the buffer to max at 95% with one processor, everything and I constantly get them.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:

It runs out of memory and crashes every 4 hours or so....on a film session. Tech support knows this....stable?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:

I agree. on a Mac, you should have a PT partition and a general partition. Keep non needed crap off the PT partition.

Also, when ever there is an update for the OS, people just go and update. That is DAW 101. Don't update your OS just because there is an update.

I'm still on 9.0, OSX 10.6.3 and it is rock solid. I've had a few crashes here and there, but that's over the course of PT9's release to now.

People who have 20 browsers open in the background, Excel, Filemaker, Word, quicktime, FCP ect and a computer that has been up and running for 2 weeks, yeah its going to be unstable.

Browsers eat RAM. As do many other apps.

Open PT and work. Leave the rest closed. Restart the computer if you've had a bunch of things open as OSX tends to leave things resident in memory.
PT needs the memory.

If you can't live with out a browser open, open one window.

I did an entire series, busy series, with a single HD6, fully loaded over the course of 5 months and had 1 crash.

Instability, for the most part, is the fault of how the users are using it, not the program.
I'm sure there is another 100 people that can state the same thing I've stated.

LEX
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 AM

You seem to have just stated the obvious to alot of people, and especially to me.I have a PT partition and do not use browsers or any kind of software in the background while using pro tools.I have used PT9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2 to go back to 9.0, the same with OSX versions.
Whatever I try doesnt seem to work and i know a alot people who have the same problems.I had the same issues with 8 until 8.4 came out and finally got it stable...then...yup ...along came 9 and it started again, not only that I had to surrender my 8 authorization so I cant even go back!!

If you have no problems with PT9 congratulations iam very jealous