Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 12-17-2012, 06:04 AM

Default iPad DAWs

Looks like Steinberg have entered the 'serious' iPad DAW market with Cubasis - http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/...pad-daw-568599

This seems more like Auria than say, Garageband and (based of my experience of Auria) will likely require the power of a recent iPad to get the best out of it ... would anyone be surprised to see PT for iPad at NAMM? Cloud sync back to desktop PT10 via Gobbler?

FWIW, my use of Garageband and Auria is limited due to lack of PT integration (GB on iPad is obviously designed to work with GB for Mac via iCloud and Auria has some Dropbox functionality) so a mobile Pro Tools with some VIs, etc. + compatible with some of the new, class-compliant interfaces would be great!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:18 PM

Default Re: iPad DAWs

I feel the same way; I like using the iPad as a scratch pad for songs, but don't really do it much anymore because I can't import them into PT.

Cubasis looks like a winner if you are a Cubase user. I wonder how the plug-in settings transfer over to the full version.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:38 PM

Its not a solid or very easy to navigate around.... Only thing I use an Ipad for is to control live audio consoles during sound check/rehearsals to either level inputs, adjust EQ or level on outputs, or to change automation data while the engineer is mixing the check/rehearsal.... Not a solid way to run audio DAW's but hey If your just recording a few tracks... why not?
Old 12-19-2012, 02:35 PM

PT on an ipad would be great for me - as a voiceover

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 AM

I doubt we'll see a Pro Tools version for iPad at NAMM. I believe and hope Avid is putting every resource they've got into getting Pro Tools 11 on the market.

To be honest that's what I rather see them do instead of developing a mobile DAW. Even though I'd love to see a good iPad version of PT I rather first have 64-bit support, track freeze, real-time bounce, elastic audio/pitch improvements in the desktop version.

An iPad PT version won't do us any good if the desktop version is behind the competition in terms of features, stability and innovation.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:20 AM

VERY good point!

Yes - I would want my studio DAW to be excellent and stable..and then an ipad version for editing in bed or for when I travel would be a nice luxury (although I must admit I have never bought an ipad because my macbook air is about the same weight!)

www.soundcloud.com/piersgibbon

VOICEOVER - Avalon 737sp/Focusrite Saffire Pro 40/Neumann + Rode inside an Esmono voiceover studio (+ Source Connect, Prima LT, Sonifex TBU, Sonnox plugins)

Record: MBP 13 inch mid 2012, 2.9 ghz i7 8gig ram, PT 11, GDrive Professional Ext Hard Drive

Backup:15 inch early 2008 MBP, OSX 10.10.2

(+Windows 7 PC running Audio TX isdn and tbu codec)

Edit: PT Express 10.3.4 on 13-inch, Late 2010 MacBook Air, OS X 10.10.4
Old 12-20-2012, 02:23 AM

Would love to see Avid do something with the iPad and/or iPhone. Not so sure an iPad DAW would be right for them though.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:31 AM

Agreed - would be great to get things like track freeze in the next version + the CPTK features as standard would make for an excellent native proposition.

Presence on the iPad platform is becoming almost essential for some however - DAW-lite, controller, Eleven Rack editor and anything else ... look at the Yamaha apps - and may be important from a commercial/marketing standpoint e.g. to attract new users?!