Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2001, 09:46 AM

Default MTC in to 001 MIDI input. Does it work?

Is anyone able to lock LE up to incoming MTC through the 001's MIDI in? My goal is to use an Aadrvark TimeSync II to generate MTC from LTC and plug that in to the 001 MIDI in and be able to chase. Does this work? I remember there were some MTC issues using the built-in 001 MIDI ports at one point. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

-Evan
Old 07-27-2001, 07:13 AM
Avid

Default Re: MTC in to 001 MIDI input. Does it work?

-Receiving MTC via the MIDI interface of the Digi001 has always been OK. It was Transmitting MTC out of the Digi001 MIDI interface that was problematic (PT LE 5.0).

-You should have no problems with your planned setup.

Brent
Old 07-27-2001, 10:05 AM

Hi Brent,
If i need to lock PT LE to an SMPTE video device for long sections (10 minutes), I'm going to need both MTC and word clock, right?

If i use a JL Cooper PPS 100 for the smpte>MTC conversion, will i need a motu DTP or a MTP AV for the word clock? Does this hold good with Mac & PC versions of PT LE?

Thanks in advance
Vik
Old 07-27-2001, 11:10 PM

Yes, I've had no luck trying to sync my Yamaha AW4416 to the 001 with MTC,
and I'd love to be able to make syncronised transfers. It does not seem to work whichever one I use as the master, and I also get lots of screens telling me the digital clocking is not locked even though they should be. Any advice from digi tech support, or anyone who is using MTC successefully would be appreciated. I'm still using 5.1.

Regards

Bill.
Old 07-28-2001, 02:22 AM

I use a MidiMan BiPort 2x4S. It is able to recieve SMPTE from a video machine. In PT preferences I ask it to recieve MTC on 'any' device and it works absolutely fine. Although, in the devices when i do select the BiPort Input devices, it doesn't lock, but when I put it to 'any' it locks fine.
I haven't been able to lock PTLE to an external sequencer though.
FYI, the above setup was working fine on the PC, haven't checked it out with the Mac though.
Old 07-29-2001, 01:09 AM

Hey kids,

Haven't had any probs syncing a roland 1680 up to 5.0.1(?) using PT as the master. Has been working great!
Old 07-29-2001, 10:01 AM

my experience is that midi time code is a flawed format which does not sync accurately enough for critical rythmic music applications. there is a built in slop of anywhere from 5 or 10 milliseconds to sometimes even much more (I was experiencing sometimes 50 or more milliseconds). 10 milliseconds will give you a flam on drums. MTC is for the start time (sloppily). once start time is started the digital clock input will maintain your sync to that start time if you are transfering digital info in.
you will get a more accurate sync between tracks by using a click at the begining of each of your multi track dumps and then aligning the groups of tracks up by sight, zooming in to align. midi time code is a piece of **** and should never have been implemented. if you use it your sync can be different on every pass.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:24 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Vik:
If i need to lock PT LE to an SMPTE video device for long sections (10 minutes), I'm going to need both MTC and word clock, right?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-Since Digi001 and AMIII hardware cannot accept Word Clock, you will need to resolve to S/PDIF Clock...but regardless, you are correct. You will need to resolve both clock and positional formats in order to acheive long-term sync without drift.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>If i use a JL Cooper PPS 100 for the smpte>MTC conversion, will i need a motu DTP or a MTP AV for the word clock? Does this hold good with Mac & PC versions of PT LE?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-You will need some sync device capable of outputting S/PDIF clock (not word clock). The DTP is such a device. If you use the DTP, you do not need the PPS 100 since the DTP can generate/convert both clock and positional signals.

Brent
Old 07-30-2001, 08:16 AM

Brent,

Thanks a lot for the info. I have one other question for you - and this might benefit many others in the forum that have expressed their reluctance to invest in an expensive piece of gear such as the Motu DTP (almost twice as much as the toolbox).

Can i use a converter that outputs wordclock to another format and convert it to spdif through a converter? Both the LTC>word clock and the word clock>spdif togeather would still cost a good couple of hundred bucks less than the DTP!

Thanks again
Vik
Old 07-31-2001, 07:40 AM
Avid

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Can i use a converter that outputs wordclock to another format and convert it to spdif through a converter? Both the LTC>word clock and the word clock>spdif togeather would still cost a good couple of hundred bucks less than the DTP!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

-In theory, yes, you should be able to do this. However, the more digital clocks and format converters you add, the more you are asking for problems (not to mention the difficulties trying to troubleshoot such a system).

-The DTP is nice because it can function as both clock and positional master for Digi001/AMIII hardware, providing the best results.

The Rosendahl Nanosyncs is also a good box: http://www.rosendahl-studiotechnik.de/nanosyncs.html

Brent