Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2017, 01:41 PM

Default Aux Send Reverb Fader incorporated into Mix Controls

Hello Pro Tools Fans. I am a recent convert from Ableton Live and I am loving it but sometimes the simple things are a challenge for newbies.

I have added an AUX Send and routed it properly to the master and set the reverb to 100% wet. I am able to control the amount as you would expect however I need to click on the Insert in order for the fader to appear.

Isn't there an easy way to dock the newly created Reverb fader on the master mixing window so that it just appears on the mix windows with all of the other track faders? Seem so strange that I have to click on it in the Sends A-E for it to suddenly pop up. I know its probably something very simple but I would Like it to appear next to all of the other faders in the mix windows.

Many thanks to all of you Pro Tools experts. Happy Mixing and Music Making.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 Ti
Samsung 960 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD (MZ-V6P512BW)
32GB G.Skill DDR4 TridentZ RGB 3200Mhz PC4-25600 CL16 1.35V Quad Channel Kit
ASUS Expansion Card for Z170 & X99 Motherboards ThunderboltEX 3
Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and UAD Apollo 8 QUAD
Pure 2 Mastering AD/DA Converter & Clock
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-11-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Aux Send Reverb Fader incorporated into Mix Controls

Hi, Yes, there is an easy way. Command+Click (or Control+Click for Windows - I think) the little arrow on the send button and faders for sends on that row of the mix window will appear.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (2)
TC Electronic Studio Konnekt 48
Avid Artist Mix/Control
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 06-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
Hi, Yes, there is an easy way. Command+Click (or Control+Click for Windows - I think) the little arrow on the send button and faders for sends on that row of the mix window will appear.
Thanks Chris that is better but still not what I was hoping was possible.
If I control click it becomes a small box in the send window with a fader (better than nothing but tiny) if I full click it becomes a pop up in a separate windows that I can drag around but it still is not a full height and width of a regualr track strip which is what I was hoping was possible. I just want it to appear in the mix window like any other strip in the mixing windows. I suppose its not currently possible.

Thanks again for the support.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg send2.jpg (43.3 KB, 0 views)
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-11-2017, 05:08 PM

Not quite getting this - sending to master? Put the reverb plug on an aux track with output set to master and the input set to an available bus. Send from your audio track to the bus you used for the aux track input and use the fader on the aux track to control the level.
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Old 06-11-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Not quite getting this - sending to master? Put the reverb plug on an aux track with output set to master and the input set to an available bus. Send from your audio track to the bus you used for the aux track input and use the fader on the aux track to control the level.
ChuckS:

Take a look at the picture I uploaded. I have the Send working correctly my question is really one of aesthetics not function. Functionally its working fine.

If you look at the picture you will see what I am trying to figure out. All of the Tracks on the Mixer window are a specific height and width and all look the same. If you add a SEND the SEND fader is either a tiny square box in the SEND area or a separate pop-up fader that does not look like all of the others. Its not really a big deal it just looks strange to have the SEND faders look different than every single other fader in the program.

There is a GUI standard called in programming (Common User Interface) which states that a GUI should be consistent across its functions. That is why if you sit down in front of a new program you can quickly figure out where things are located and how they work. This is because the interface is consistently the same across all functions.

Its odd that a SEND fader looks different than all of the other faders in Pro Tools.

Just an observation not really a big deal I am new to Pro Tools so I was just curious if that is how it is designed.

Again thanks everyone for the help and support.
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-11-2017, 07:15 PM

3 things come to mind for me;
1-worry less about the send(the tiny fader) and simply set it to nominal(IOW -0) and adjust the AUX track(return) fader(which is full-sized).
2-considering how often most of us NEED the full-size send fader, its pretty simple to click on it so it pops up(full-size)
3-consider (when required) creating a Window Configuration to show any or all sends in full size(it takes a bit of time to configure, but if you build it into session templates, the work up front saves a lot, later on

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-11-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
3 things come to mind for me;
1-worry less about the send(the tiny fader) and simply set it to nominal(IOW -0) and adjust the AUX track(return) fader(which is full-sized).
2-considering how often most of us NEED the full-size send fader, its pretty simple to click on it so it pops up(full-size)
3-consider (when required) creating a Window Configuration to show any or all sends in full size(it takes a bit of time to configure, but if you build it into session templates, the work up front saves a lot, later on
Thank you so much - Duh, of course option 1 is perfect. Also great advice on option 2.

I think I understand option 3. I think you mean drag them all to a window and put them all together. I will research what I think you mean by option 3.

I think I already see why most of you don't really care because options 1 and 2 really cover the issue.

Remember I am brand new to this program so I probably notice small things that the rest of you that are more experienced have just become accustomed to and don't even notice them.

The learning curve is a bit steep at first but it is very intuitive and I am getting there. forums like this are very helpful and I am glad that you are all here to help newbies like me.
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-12-2017, 02:52 AM

I see you've got it sorted, but i don't see why this seemed strange to you in the first place, coming from Ableton. Ableton also has a different UI for the sends, i.e. the little boxes (defaulting to -inf) in the channel strip. It's only the returns that have a row (or column in Session view) like other tracks. This is because all the rows are outputs, and their balance contributes to the mix. Sends are inputs to the aux channels, and therefore are something else...

As i see it, Pro Tools and Ableton are basically exactly the same in this regard.

~peter in athens
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies
Old 06-12-2017, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
I see you've got it sorted, but i don't see why this seemed strange to you in the first place, coming from Ableton. Ableton also has a different UI for the sends, i.e. the little boxes (defaulting to -inf) in the channel strip. It's only the returns that have a row (or column in Session view) like other tracks. This is because all the rows are outputs, and their balance contributes to the mix. Sends are inputs to the aux channels, and therefore are something else...

As i see it, Pro Tools and Ableton are basically exactly the same in this regard.

~peter in athens
In Ableton you just adjust the small send dial it does not pop up a different looking fader. Now that I compare the two, Pro Tools actually gives you two options. The small fader which is like the Ableton dial and the option to pop up a fader. In that regard Pro Tools is better.

Again it's minor and I am already used to it (grin)
UAD-2 Satellite USB QUAD
Old 06-12-2017, 06:56 AM

I just want to assert ChuckS's suggestion as to how to use the Master Fader and Aux modules. You said you're new to this, and using the Aux's in the manner ChuckS outlined is the preferred way, or a 'best practice' if you will. Not only will you get the benefit of additional routing options, you'll be able to automate individual aspects of the channels more easily and won't have to have efx plugs stacked as you've done in your picture. On top of that you can have many more efx modules than possible just using the plugin slots available on the Master Fader.

I usually use the plugin slots on the Master Fader for things like a buss compressor, a tape emulator, or a brickwall limiter to keep the mains from spiking past +18dbfs or whatever max level I have my mains set to.

Glad you've got the concept sorted out.
Mac Pro 6.1, E5-2690 V2 10 core 3.0G, 32gig 1866 memory, 512G PCIe system drive, 4 480G OWC 3G SSD data drives in Thunderbolt 2 enclosure, macOS 10.15.7, Pro Tools Ultimate 2020.9.1, Twin Raven MTi's, Apollo 8 TB, 2 UAD2 Satellite Octo Thunderbolt, RME ADI-4 DD, Neve 5012, 5043, Bricasti M7, 2 PCM 92's, M350, DynAudio BM6 MK 3, BM14S, a bunch of cool mics...1 damned iLok2.