Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Please be gentle: 24fps to 25fps SRC?

Sorry to bother you guys with a probably common issue, and discussed matter over the years, but;

My project (90mins) target rate is 25fps.
I have a re-sync'ed sync and dialog session (not edited yet!) of 24fps.
Obviously I want the sync session to pull up to 25fps, but I have to keep the regions the regions with some handles...

So I tried to use the AAF/OMF export function in my 24fps session to go to 25fps. I set the target frame rate on 25fps, and set the source sample rate on 50.000 samples, and target sample rate on 48.000 samples.

Still, when importing the AAF tracks into the 25fps session no sync at all!

I'm pretty convinced I'm missing an obvious point here, but I can't see it

Anyone have any suggestion to get me on the right track? (Minister/Tom, you're always the master in get this right...)

Thanks for any input!

HD3, Sync IO, PT 7.2
Old 09-26-2007, 06:08 PM

Default Re: Please be gentle: 24fps to 25fps SRC?

Hi there,
Have you tried doing nothing at all? Depending on your final delivery format (ie PAL video), and how your existing ProTools session is set up (24/30/29pull/29 no pull etc) there may be absolutely nothing to do in terms of an audio speed change; it may have been done on the picture side. and you'll be able to just switch the frame rate in ProTools (which doesn't change the audio speed or pitch) and away you go.

One clue would be to listen to the audio on the Quicktime or Video gude track. If it's not exactly on pitch with what you have in your Pro Tools session, you WILL have to do the speed change. If it matches, then it's all taken care of on the picture side.

Yes, it's been discussed a zillion times, search for "NTSC PAL Conversion". Basically it will depend on what (if any) processes the picture has gone through.

Hope this helps, and hope you don't have to do anything at all!

best,

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-26-2007, 06:36 PM

Janus,

There's no need to export OMF or AAF.

Create a new 25 FPS PT session with no tracks and keep that session open.

Select IMPORT SESSION DATA in the file menu or OPT-SHIFT_I. In the IMPORT SESSION DATA dialog box, select and open your 24 FPS session.

Select all the tracks in the 24 FPS session by highlighting them. New tracks in the 25 FPS will be created for them.

Click the APPLY SRC box and enter 50000 as the source sample rate. Select the Tweak Head conversion quality for best results.
Hit OK to proceed with the SRC.

Importing in this way will retain the handles of the 24 FPS session. If your source and target sessions are truly 24 and 25 FPS respectively, 50000 is the correct SRC number. Although the new sound files created will be at the right speed, you may still have to slide the session in order to sync with picture.

If you wish to first test if the SRC of 50000 is correct, first import only one track from the 24 FPS session and use the LOW conversion quality for speed. Verify that that track maintains sync.

Serge
Old 09-27-2007, 04:58 AM

Hi Serge,

Yes! Importing session data works a lot better... I'm such an idiot..
Indeed, the 50000 SRC works better then other rates (in my case).
And also indeed: I had to move the regions on the timeline a few seconds.

Thanks a lot!

Jan
Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 AM

Reply to Joe:

I wish this was true, but this project went wrong at an early stage...
Material (film and sound) was recorded 24fps, then the telecine was running 25fps, scanning on Digibeta.
The editor edited material on 25fps, he used the Digibeta audio files, he didn't resync the 24fps (4 track StellaDAT) audio.
So I got an OMF on 25fps, containing audio with drop-outs (because of Telecine running 25fps with slaved 24fps audio).
Flex files contained only [bleep], so no change for resyncing in Avid. An other guy resynced audio from StellaDAT in PT for me, but on 24fps....

That's the story in short...

But thank you for your feedback, always good to hear a good proper point of view like you did!

Jan
Old 09-27-2007, 05:58 AM

Ughhh, I did a project like that once......no fun.
Glad that Serge had the right solution for you, and that it all it worked out!

Good luck with the film,

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
Old 09-27-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Reply to Joe:

I wish this was true, but this project went wrong at an early stage...
Material (film and sound) was recorded 24fps, then the telecine was running 25fps, scanning on Digibeta.
The editor edited material on 25fps, he used the Digibeta audio files, he didn't resync the 24fps (4 track StellaDAT) audio.
So I got an OMF on 25fps, containing audio with drop-outs (because of Telecine running 25fps with slaved 24fps audio).
Flex files contained only [bleep], so no change for resyncing in Avid. An other guy resynced audio from StellaDAT in PT for me, but on 24fps....

That's the story in short...

But thank you for your feedback, always good to hear a good proper point of view like you did!

Jan
Hey! That's funny!
When I write down: "[bleep]", a automatic cencurist makes "[bleep]" of it....
I meant what comes out of the behind of a bull