Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 PM

Default Re: Best Core 2 Series Desktops-Results and Specs

Quote:
Work was kept me busy lately so i didn't post any test results but the 9450 is good for a solid 10% increase over the Q6600. If your wanting to overlock the Q6600 would be the better choice. I bought a Q9450 to replace my hot running B3 stepping Q6600 and it more than made up for the performance hit going from 7.3 to 7.4 and runs a great deal cooler.

Q6600/7.3=274 Dverbs
Q6600/7.4=268 Dverbs
Q9450/7.4=297 Dverbs

I'm actually pretty happy with the 9450. If I had a cooler running G0 stepping Q6600 I doubt it would be worth bothering to upgrade. If your building new you might want to spring for 9450 or save a little green and get a Q6600. Its not like there is a bad choice

Filosofem suggested I check what the Dverb score would be with the 9450 and 7.3 and I may roll PT back and do that just for kicks. It would certainly be well over 300 though.
nice man!!! i'd be curious about the 7.3 dverb test too!!

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 PM

Question for all Q6600 owners....

What temperature does your CPU idle at, and under load? What cooler are you using?

I've finished building my machine and I was about to do a D-Verb test. (I'll post the specs of my build at a later date.) In my bios there is an option to have an alarm beep when the cpu gets too hot. I have mine set to 60deg C. Just to be safe for now. No OC'ng just yet. While in my BIOS i noticed that my CPU idles at around 48-51 C. I try to do a Dverb test, and of course it starts to heat up and the bios alarm goes off 1/2 way thru the test. I check my temps and according to SandraSoft I'm up to 71C.... So Could my stock cooler be broken? it's running at about 1,400-1,500 RPM. it is quiet. Also on the box and CPU it says SLACR. CPU-Z shows the CpU as a 6FB revision G0. SandraSoft says

SiSoftware Sandra

Processor
Model : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Speed : 2.40GHz
Cores per Processor : 4 Unit(s)
Threads per Core : 1 Unit(s)
Type : Quad-Core
Bus : Intel AGTL+
Package : FC LGA (Socket T)
Rated Speed/FSB : 2.40GHz / 4x 267MHz
Multiplier : 9/1x
Minimum/Maximum Multiplier : 6/1x - 9/1x
Generation : G8
Name : C2QX (Kentsfield) Core 2 Quad 65nm 2.0-3.33GHz 1.0375-1.3V
Revision/Stepping : F / B (0)
Stepping Mask : G0
Microcode : MU060F0BB6
Core Voltage Rating : 1.325V
Min/Max Core Voltage : 0.825V - 1.325V
Maximum Physical / Virtual Addressing : 36-bit / 48-bit
Native Page Size : 4kB

Co-Processor (FPU)
Speed : 2.40GHz
Type : Built-in
Revision/Stepping : F / B (0)

Power Rating(s)
CPU Core Power : 93.15W
CPU Cooling System Thermal Resistance : 0.26°C/W

Sensors
CPU Temperature : 58.00°C td <----------------!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IDLE!!!
CPU DC Line : 1.28V

I have a G0 correct? I'd just like to make sure. Anynody using a good cooler besides the stock Intel, or Zalman cnps 9500. I have 2 Zalmans in my AMD machine and I'd actually like something not so loud if possible. Thanks all!!!

Dennis
Old 04-23-2008, 11:30 PM

yep, you've got the G0 stepping my friend. you could choose to lower your CORE VOLTAGE. you are runnin' it at the max rating now according to SANDRA. your cpu box should have the rating on it. i'm actually runnin' mine lower than what the box has on it. i think i'm runnin' 1.15v and believe me you'll see the temp drop if you lower the voltage this is the cooler i'm using...

FREEZER 7 PRO

dropped my temps about 10 degrees on idle. much better ones out there i'm sure. but i liked the price and reviews

Old 04-24-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Has anyone tested the ASUS X38/X48 mobos? I see P35's are working well, but because of Newegg's limited non-refundable return policy on these mobos I'd rather not buy a mobo with a north bridge incompatible, (or "less compatible" -- however that may manifest itself) with Pro Tools. I'm trying to figure out the differences between the ASUS P5E and the ASUS Maximus Formula, and if I'd be any better off with one of those over a P35 board. Any suggestions?? I've been so close to purchasing all the parts I need for a week now and it's killing me!! Thanks

Hi, I have a X38 Maximus Formula and I Happy!! for this desition.

FW port its ok whit PT 002 R

And in a OC responds whitout problems.

Thats the way!

Sorry i cant be more extensive because my english is "mini"

Sorry

On the pages 36 to 38 you can see my post whith the same cuestions and the answers from the crew.
Bladesg is other Maximus Happy User and put light over my way..

Good Luck!

POL
Old 04-24-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
yep, you've got the G0 stepping my friend. you could choose to lower your CORE VOLTAGE. you are runnin' it at the max rating now according to SANDRA. your cpu box should have the rating on it. i'm actually runnin' mine lower than what the box has on it. i think i'm runnin' 1.15v and believe me you'll see the temp drop if you lower the voltage this is the cooler i'm using...

FREEZER 7 PRO

dropped my temps about 10 degrees on idle. much better ones out there i'm sure. but i liked the price and reviews

Mykhal,
Thanks again for your speedy and helpful response!! I was looking at the same fan. great price! Is it quiet?

I adjusted my CPU voltage to 1.15 and that lowered my temps! Thank you. I was able to perform a Dverb test without the system alarm going off. Kind of strange though... Sandra, and SpeedFan listed the cpu well over 60C which is what the alarm is set to. 71 C at load according to Sandra. The alarm is controlled by the BIOS so I'm guessing that there must be a little inaccuracy in the software...

So with no XP tweaks, network still enabled, and without OC'ing, my system gave 250 Dverbs. And that's with 4GB of 800Mhz DDR2 Mushkin RAM. The timings were set by the BIOS on auto. 5-5-5-18 which is terrible. But I wanted to see what kind of difference there would be once I set to the RAMs proper timing and voltage. The RAM is spec'd to operate at 800Mhz 4-4-4-12, at 1.9V which is why I chose this RAM. The voltage is much lower than most for those latency timings. Most of the other RAM was rated at 2.0V and up. This RAM stays nice and cool.
After I adjusted the timings properly, I saw a 13 dverb increase for a total of 263!!!
So I'm pretty happy! Thanks for your help Mykhal!! I'll post my system specs a little later...

-Dennis

*** I should note that page filing is disbled.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone tested the ASUS X38/X48 mobos? I see P35's are working well, but because of Newegg's limited non-refundable return policy on these mobos I'd rather not buy a mobo with a north bridge incompatible, (or "less compatible" -- however that may manifest itself) with Pro Tools. I'm trying to figure out the differences between the ASUS P5E and the ASUS Maximus Formula, and if I'd be any better off with one of those over a P35 board. Any suggestions?? I've been so close to purchasing all the parts I need for a week now and it's killing me!! Thanks

Hi, I have a X38 Maximus Formula and I Happy!! for this desition.

FW port its ok whit PT 002 R

And in a OC responds whitout problems.

Thats the way!

Sorry i cant be more extensive because my english is "mini"

Sorry

On the pages 36 to 38 you can see my post whith the same cuestions and the answers from the crew.
Bladesg is other Maximus Happy User and put light over my way..

Good Luck!

POL
Your english is fine my freind and thank you for the update.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-24-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:

FREEZER 7 PRO

Mykhal,
Thanks again for your speedy and helpful response!! I was looking at the same fan. great price! Is it quiet?

I adjusted my CPU voltage to 1.15 and that lowered my temps! Thank you. I was able to perform a Dverb test without the system alarm going off. Kind of strange though... Sandra, and SpeedFan listed the cpu well over 60C which is what the alarm is set to. 71 C at load according to Sandra. The alarm is controlled by the BIOS so I'm guessing that there must be a little inaccuracy in the software...

So with no XP tweaks, network still enabled, and without OC'ing, my system gave 250 Dverbs. And that's with 4GB of 800Mhz DDR2 Mushkin RAM. The timings were set by the BIOS on auto. 5-5-5-18 which is terrible. But I wanted to see what kind of difference there would be once I set to the RAMs proper timing and voltage. The RAM is spec'd to operate at 800Mhz 4-4-4-12, at 1.9V which is why I chose this RAM. The voltage is much lower than most for those latency timings. Most of the other RAM was rated at 2.0V and up. This RAM stays nice and cool.
After I adjusted the timings properly, I saw a 13 dverb increase for a total of 263!!!
So I'm pretty happy! Thanks for your help Mykhal!! I'll post my system specs a little later...

-Dennis

*** I should note that page filing is disbled.
Glad it up and running. The Freezer Pro, the ThermalRight Ultra 120, The Zalman CPNS 9500 or 9700 are all good choices. As I recall my Q660 would hit around 69 degrees with the stock cooler and thats just to damn hot. I think the CPNS9700 got me about 59 degrees or so with the hotter running B3 stepping Q6600 I had. I just got a Scythe Ninja Copper and if it fits into my rack case (which is a problem-4U rack ares are not quite ATX spec) I should be happy with temps. Itd not that theses chips are horribly hot but having to run all 4 cores at absolutre full throttle all the time to keep PTs timing referances happy is realy on the edge of the envolope. Kinda nice to get 2Gb of memory for 31.99 isnt it

Check out CPUz for the best timing referances and at the same site you can download "Hardware Moniter" which gives me the same temps as Core Temp. All are simple Exe files that need no installation.

Missed you on Skype last night-check with MattP for a little good news

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM

thought i'd bring a couple of free tools over to this thread from another. these 2 tools deal with identifying latency on PC's.

1) DPC Latency Tool

DIGI posted this initially. shows system's latency in millisecs. easy install. i actually checked my quad out while recordin' at 64 buffer.

2) RATTV3 Developers Tool

very detailed tool that logs detailed info on drivers latency for developers. DUC'er TCM brought this to the other thread. another great tool!!!

highly recommend them both!!!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:13 AM

I have been reading this thread a couple of times now, absolutely the best thread for building a Pc for protools (bang for the buck). Big thanks to sunburst, mykhal and bladesq!!

Here is a pc I have found for sale used, it looks cool. I am curious-will this machine run protools le 002 rack;

Asus P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP Black Pearl 775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mist, 600W
FOX+ GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI Express 2
Lian Li Miditower
1 x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB S-ATA 16MB cache 10000RPM
1 x Samsung 500 GB 7200RPM S-ATA2

I think the MOBO will work, I have read that samsung harddrives can be tricky. And I am not sure if the graphic card will work. Exuse my english, being norwegian.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I have been reading this thread a couple of times now, absolutely the best thread for building a Pc for protools (bang for the buck). Big thanks to sunburst, mykhal and bladesq!!

Here is a pc I have found for sale used, it looks cool. I am curious-will this machine run protools le 002 rack;

Asus P5K PREMIUM/WIFI-AP Black Pearl 775
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Mist, 600W
FOX+ GeForce 8800GT 512MB PCI Express 2
Lian Li Miditower
1 x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB S-ATA 16MB cache 10000RPM
1 x Samsung 500 GB 7200RPM S-ATA2

I think the MOBO will work, I have read that samsung harddrives can be tricky. And I am not sure if the graphic card will work. Exuse my english, being norwegian.
make sure to check out the reviews on NEWEGG about the mobo. if i remember correctly the BLACK PEARL got a lotta negative hits!!! doesn't mean it won't run PTLE but i'd check it out regardless also check page 1 of this thread to see if another builder used that particular mobo