Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Win)

Old 08-27-2018, 06:31 PM

Default MBox (3rd Gen) incompatible with USB3 in Windows 7, 8 and 10 - Use USB 2 port only

Recently my Mbox (3rd Gen) stopped working on my Windows 10 PC. Instead of functioning for audio output, the Mbox would crash Windows 10 with a BSOD.

The failure seemed to begin when I moved my PC to a new room, which involved unplugging and replugging my cabling.

After doing all manner of deinstalling and reinstalling drivers, I finally came across a clue on the page http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...d/Mbox-Drivers where it says, "USB 3.0 Ports not supported with Windows 7." I guessed that maybe this statement was not up-to-date and that the same USB3 incompatibility also exists in Windows 10. BINGO! This was the answer.

I moved my Mbox USB cable from my USB 3 port to a USB 2 port and VOILA, it started working again. Pity for those with newer PCs that have only USB 3 ports.

I found this solution perplexing, because the USB 3 spec is supposed to be backwards compatible with USB 2. So the Mbox should work on either type of port. It's disappointing that whatever is causing this USB 3 incompatibility has not yet been solved with an updated driver. Until then, just use a USB 2 port, and you're golden!

This problem was so troublesome, yet so simple to solve, I just had to share.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:51 AM

Default Re: MBox (3rd Gen) incompatible with USB3 in Windows 7, 8 and 10 - Use USB 2 port onl

For those with new PC machines without USB2 ports, just use a USB2 hub from a USB3 port. Easy, cheap ( $15-$20 ) and you are set.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————