Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2006, 12:17 PM

Default Track amount and CPU performance problems?!

Does anyone here have problems keeping their tracks under 32 tracks?
Does anyone here have problems with runing out of CPU power?

I have recently started having problems with both because my sessions get bigger and bigger and therefore I need more and more plug-ins.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the track amount down and not to use many plug-ins (or which plug-ins to use)?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Track amount and CPU performance problems?!

Quote:
Does anyone here have problems keeping their tracks under 32 tracks?
I haven't needed to since I got the Music Production Toolkit. 48 tracks. mono or stereo. With some creativity and effort, you can stretch it to 96 mono tracks, though I haven't quite needed to (yet).
Quote:
Does anyone here have problems with runing out of CPU power?
Not since I upgraded my PC to The Quadzilla. Power to spare...
Quote:
Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the track amount down and not to use many plug-ins (or which plug-ins to use)?
  • submix tracks when possible (mix 8-12 tracks of drums down to a stereo track, group instruments to stereo tracks, etc.
  • Use the Ableton Live trick to get more tracks when you need them
  • Purchase and install the Music Production Toolkit
  • Record the sounds right on the way in so you don't have to use plugins
  • Process the wav files with the Audiosuite versions of the plugins (if available)
  • Group like processing to aux tracks (not really a good idea to use the same reverb on 12 different tracks, when you can send them all to one aux and acheive the same results).

Hard to tell you how to make your mix better, when we don't know how you're mixing it currently (and why).

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12