Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins

Old 07-15-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Plugin Alliance E & G channel issue

While demoing the Plugin Alliance SSL branded E & G channels I ran into a problem. With the plugins on an insert say I make a change to the state of button; for instance I change the eq from say black to brown or I change the compressor model from the E to the G or vice versa. The buttons change state no problem. Where I have a problem is if I have the PT session playing and I hit the spacebar to stop. If I want to go back to the beginning I hit the return key. Session stops but the buttons I made changes to revert back to the state they were previously in. Cycling the return key changes the knob states back and forth. Sometimes this happens with the knobs as well.

To check my sanity and to see whether this is due to this being beta s/w I insert the original E channel and it does the same thing. Never really noticed it before but either way this ain't good. Also does the same thing if I host the channel strips in Patchwork with either the vst or au versions.

Near as I can figure out this only happens with the channel strips and none of the other bx branded plugins. Anybody run into this?

One way I've found to stop this is to change focus from the channel strip gui to say the PT edit window and then go back to the plugin gui. That's a pain as is having to hit the return to start key.

Running PT11.3.2 in OSX 10.10.5 I've looked in the manual and there doesn't appear to be another shortcut key to return to the beginning of the session. Or a way to change the current key assignment. It's like the plugins are stealing the return key in certain situations.

QAPLA!
Old 07-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance E & G channel issue

I confirm the button behavior, but not the knob behavior on --
bx_console N
bx_console SSL E
bx_meter
elysia alpha compressor
elysia mpressor
elysia nvelope*
maag eq4
Basically, all of the Brainworks plugs with single-function buttons that I have.

*elysia nvelope in addition to two dual-state (on/off type) buttons and also has a three-state button ("More Select") that behaves oddly. The three-state button returns to Full Range regardless of the initial setting.

bx_subsynth has a couple dual-state slide switches. They do not exhibit this behavior.

All Brainworks plugs are latest versions as of today (updated within the last two hours).

One does not need to be rolling the transport. "Parked" transport, push a button, hit Return.

In a brief survey of other randomly selected plugs, this doesn't happen.

The bx buttons behavior put me in mind of my Windoze days, where you can open a selected file by pressing Return, which doesn't work in Appleland.

macOS 10.12.6, PT 2018.4
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
I confirm the button behavior, but not the knob behavior on --
bx_console N
bx_console SSL E
bx_meter
elysia alpha compressor
elysia mpressor
elysia nvelope*
maag eq4
Basically, all of the Brainworks plugs with single-function buttons that I have.

*elysia nvelope in addition to two dual-state (on/off type) buttons and also has a three-state button ("More Select") that behaves oddly. The three-state button returns to Full Range regardless of the initial setting.

bx_subsynth has a couple dual-state slide switches. They do not exhibit this behavior.

All Brainworks plugs are latest versions as of today (updated within the last two hours).

One does not need to be rolling the transport. "Parked" transport, push a button, hit Return.

In a brief survey of other randomly selected plugs, this doesn't happen.

The bx buttons behavior put me in mind of my Windoze days, where you can open a selected file by pressing Return, which doesn't work in Appleland.

macOS 10.12.6, PT 2018.4
Thanks for checking through your stuff - it means I'm not crazy or that it's just my system. The knob behavior isn't as consistent as the button behavior but it does happen; it also extends to the output slider on the E & G channels. The knob movement is what caught my eye and lead me to checking the buttons.

I'll have to check the elysia alpha as that's my favorite finishing compressor on my 2-bus.

I have a tech support ticket in on this one (started it yesterday - Sunday). I'm surprised a bug like this still exists. Speaking of Windows I wonder if those users are also having this issue?

Further checking for this phenomena in Digital Performer confirms it's also happening with the au version. And in Patchwork in standalone mode as well so it's not just specific plugin format that's having the problem. This is my speculation: I wonder if Brainworx meant to have alphanumeric entry of control values (which doesn't exist) which would entail using the return key and the code is waiting for that?

QAPLA!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:55 AM

Update:
Got an email back from tech support on this and after a further explanation I got another email from them saying they were able to repro the bug and will but this into the queue for fixing.

Would still love to know if Windows users are seeing the same thing.

QAPLA!