Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 03-28-2018, 01:55 PM

Default Faders and Digi Mixers as audio interface

I will record in Protools 11 for PC. (usually recording live band)
For numerous reasons, I intend to use a Digital Mixer as my audio interface (between Mics and protools) using its embedded USB 30x30 in/out multi-track digital audio support compatible w/ protools.
(primary reason is so band's PA is always operating and never interrupted by crashing and slow to boot PCs running protools)

Likely will use a Soundcraft Impact or AllenHeath QU series mixer.

By default routing, The Mixer's Channel Faders would adjust the levels that would be sent to Main Out Speaker (and/or monitors) and to the USB digi-audio port. Technically, proper levels for a decent mix would already be handled at the mixer and leave the mixer's usb out.

Protools has its own software faders for the channels.

Does this mean I have to double set the levels on the Protools faders also?
or can I just bypass Protools Soft faders?
Or can I just set all channel soft faders at one consistent level, and know the Mixer's levels will pass thru?
(I don't want to control Protools soft faders by PC's touchscreen or mouse, cause thats encumbersome).

Or is this a situation where having two sets of faders (softw and mixer) is unavoidable, and it would be advantageous or necessary to use a second separate Control surface (like a ICON QCON) to DAW control the Protools soft faders, (in addition to using my Mixer faders)?

I don't mind using a Second Control surface for that purpose if need be, but would be less confusing and take up less space if I only had to worry about one set of faders in-line.

Obviously, the most intuitive solution would be for the Mixer's and Protool's faders to automatically link togeather and update each other.

I don't believe Impact or QU has DAW control support, maybe they do in some capacity. But if they do, not sure that mode would be usable simultaneously as using mixer faders for mixing the band.
I do know, the Soundcraft has flexable routing, and maybe its possible to send all channels out the USB audio port Pre-fader using only the set Pre-amp levels, and then maybe remix the recording in Protools before saving the mixdown.

Linking mixer faders to Protools faders would be easy if using a mixer in a DAW control mode, but I don't want the band's PA mix and operation to be reliant on Protools or my PC inline. I need the Mixer and PA indepenant working pre-recording.

Is there a way in mixer's routing setup, to have Faders linked to protools, without protools controlling the PA mix?

Or is there an easier way to manage it. For example, maybe could set up two different fader banks or mixes, and have one linked to DAW control, and one linked to Mixing the PA. So could switch back and forth easily to change faders of protools versus PA mix?

Some other mixers claim good DAW control support, and have a DAW control button for quick access, maybe Beringer X32, Midas32R, or Presonus Live Ser3? Would using one of those mixers instead make it easier?

What is best practice for all this?
Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Faders and Digi Mixers as audio interface

My initial post may have been a little convoluted. But after reading a few manuals Ive concluded....

When recording a live band through a mixer to protools, its recommended to route input channels to the USB digital ports pre-fader, such as via "Insert" or "direct out", and then mixer faders are ignored for the recording and the Protools soft faders are used.

Its then necessary to have enough fader layers, to assign some to the Protools faders, if desiring to control the DAW through the mixer, when a mixer supports that, such as with AllenHeath QU. Soundcraft impact does not, and in those cases would either use a separate DAW controller or the computers soft faders such as w/ touch screen.

For playback the protools channels need to be mapped to mixer channels, usually back to the same channels they came from initially. And mixer fader can be used for playback volumes.