Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 08-25-2010, 06:19 PM

Default Tap tempo and involuntary time shifting with tempo changing

IM am getting very frustrated because sometimes it works right and sometimes it doesnt. What I need to do is beable to use the tap tempo function or the manual tempo function to match the correct tempo of say a loop.

The problem I keep having is when I change the tempo manually or via the tap tempo method it stretches my audio tempo too. I have tried importing the audio different ways. And sometimes it will allow me to adjust the tempo(thus moving the background grid independantly of effecting my audio in a any way.

What am I missing. I know the audio will come up with a little triangle looking icon in the top right hand corner once warp data has been applied to it,so when you change the tempo it will automatically time stretch it with the tempo. But I dont want this. But after I have the tempo matched I would then like to apply this so how Do I dont that seperately.

Sometimes I import a track and it will stretch with the tempo change and other times it doesnt. Then I had a loop I made via midi but then recorded a guitar part over it and wanted to change the tempo and have the guitar part time stretch automatically with it and it wouldnt.

And I know how to use the time stretch tool manually,but thats not what Im asking about here. I want to know how to be able to choose when to have a audio track stretch and when to not stretch with a manual tempo change or a tap tempo change of the entire session. Not a inserted tempo change in a part of the session.

And finally what the heck is the point and or usage on the beat conductor icon? Is that just used when you want to insert different tempo changes throughout the song?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:22 AM

Default Re: Tap tempo and involuntary time shifting with tempo changing

From what I understand your using Manual Tempo mode to tap tempo for the whole song, then when you want a new tempo you tap tempo again and everything shifts correct? If you want to have a new tempo without things shifting you will need to do the following:

For the tracks which you do not want the tempo to shift you will need to turn Elastic Audio OFF. To do that, go to the Edit window. On the left hand side where your tracks are displayed, expand the track size to medium by right clicking on the right hand edge of the tracks display. Then, right below the display selector (where you pick to display waveform, automation data, regions, playlists and so on) you will see two little boxes. On the left hand side you will see either a green metronome figure which represents that the track is measured in ticks or a blue circle representing the track is measure in samples. On the right hand side you will find the Elastic Audio box, which allows you to select the mode of operation of the Elastic Audio plugin. Click on this box and choose none. Now when you change the tempo, that track will not get streched.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:36 AM

Okay thankx. I did try that stuff before with no luck but I just figured it out. MAN the tiniest little things will drive you nuts.
It was the little icon next to the elastic audio drop drop box. You know the little icon that has either a little blue circle(says samples) or a little green triangle(ticks).

I never new what this was but apparently it sets what your elastic audio warp locks with or something.Ok obviously the ticks one will strecth with the time grid or tempo change,so what is the samples icon setting for?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
Avid

Quote:
Ok obviously the ticks one will strecth with the time grid or tempo change,so what is the samples icon setting for?
Not to be too obvious, but the best explanation of both modes can be found in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.