Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Anyone Here Using Source-Connect?

Is this a viable alternative to using ISDN boxes such as APT ProLink or Telos-Zephyr? I've been using APT Prolink, but it seems that the emergence of plugins like this will make it redundant. Just wondering if any users have feedback about Source Connect's reliability, session integration, realtime audio quality, and if it can do stereo with timecode successfully.

Thanks,

CCH
Old 08-04-2005, 10:24 AM

Default Re: Anyone Here Using Source-Connect?

As for quality:

I can't give you a "real world" testimony, but I did see it at NAB this year in Vegas. The demo they gave me was really impressive. He dialed up someone in Chicago, and then someone in New Zealand. We had a conference call that sounded very high in quality. Everyone sounded like they were in a recording booth in the next room waiting for you to hit record.

Other than that, I'm afraid I'm gonna be clueless. Good luck!
Old 08-04-2005, 10:40 AM

It can as long as the intenet connection on both ends meets the specs required (upload and download times) -- test your services (at both ends) at dslreports.com

I'm doing a session this weekend between LA and Prague with SMPTE... my only concern is Prague's upload speed -- otherwise tests between LA and Chicago and LA and Australia have been flawless.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Old 08-04-2005, 04:43 PM

I have done several sessions between our studio here in Sydney and Los Angeles with major Actors and the system is really excellent. We have been able to receive audio and Timecode and lock PT to that code so that that director here can judge the performance against picture. We have also done it the other way around where we are the master and the studio overseas is slaving to our code. It woks very well indeed. If we do this at a draft quality (lower bit rate) to compensate for a slower net connection, then when the session is finished we get the studio at the other end to Digidelivery us the files that they recorded during the session as a safety. This takes a couple of hours but provides us with the raw files.
The major thing to remember is that to get the best net connection that you can and ideally this should be a symmetrical connection with upload and download speeds identical. Ideally a connection that is dedicated to SC would be best so that other studio traffic does not interrupt the session. But having said that we have a large facility with several users online at anyone time and we have had no problems with SC if both parties have a good solid connection to the Net. It really is quite brilliant. We have done many sessions that we would not have done unless we had SC. Comparing the hardware cost and the ISDN costs (particularly for us her in Australia) it really is a no brainer. Grab the demo and connect to some users as a test. I am happy to do it if you like.
Rail and I have tested it between us with no problems and it is true that they feel like they are in the booth even though they are on the other side of the world.
my 2c
regards
Simon L.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:24 PM

The session between LA and Prague went flawlessly -- not a single glitch. Monitored the orchestra in Prague locked to picture in LA.

Rail
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••